Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:39:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armored Trains  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Trains
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:36:29 PM »
I just picked up a couple great 1/48 German armored trains off e-bay.  They are Verlinden kits and would go great with any straight or Weird War wargaming.  Here is who I bought them from and his prices are pretty cheap for what I've seen in hobby shops.  

Brian

http://cgi.ebay.com/Verlinden-2362-1-48-German-Armored-Railcar-w-Detailed_W0QQitemZ150180509321QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1191QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Verlinden-2368-1-48-Heavy-Scout-Railcar-w-Detailed-Rai_W0QQitemZ150180510783QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1191QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Armored Trains
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »
You frickin´ lucky b******d! Those look very, very nice. I´ve used verlinden accessories in the past (seats, motors and the like). Happy cleaning, but once you´re done with that, I think they should assemble well, judging from my past experience.

I´ll have to look out for those, I´d love to get one of those Panzerdraisinen myself, ever since I got that great book on German Armoured Trains by Wolfgang Sawodny...

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Trains
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
Does that book go into detail on the cres weapons and tactics for armored trains?  I can't find much info on the web and need to see what kinda rules I need to make up for these mothers.

Brian

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Armored Trains
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »
Good looking pieces.
I hadn't realised that Verlinden did 1/48 - I'd always thought they only had 1/35
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Armored Trains
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
Quote from: "Kampfgruppe Cottrell"
Does that book go into detail on the cres weapons and tactics for armored trains?  I can't find much info on the web and need to see what kinda rules I need to make up for these mothers.

Brian

Hell yeah, you bet it does! It´s a 428-page hard-cover tome which starts in the early 1900s and covers almost EVERYTHING up to 1945 (and the sparse facts known about the fate of German armoured trains thereafter). For example, there are composition plates giving the known assemblies for the numerous armoured trains, ie how many gun cars, how many flatcars, how many flak wagons, etc... plus tactics and all that.

It´s completely German, and while not an academic work per se, it is certainly a "Railroad Aficionado" piece and requires solid knowledge of the German language. However, a trainload of great pictures come with it, an average of one to two pictures per page. Plus linearts of the BP42 standard type armoured train cars.

If you´re interested, the full title is:

Wolfgang Sawodny, "Die Panzerzüge des deutschen Reiches", ISBN 3-88255-678-1

There are, however, a number of booklets by the Polish(?) author Waldemar Trojca on the subject. I think those are also available in Polish/English; you´ll have to look for them, though.

If you´re looking for specific info, I can look up those and give you a quick run-down, though.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Armored Trains
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:07:03 PM »
I've just had a quick look on Abebooks and there are quite a few English titles by Sawodny, mostly on WWII German armoured trains.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Armored Trains
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:33:20 PM »
That´s the guy. Cannot comment on the titles in question, but if they highlight aspects of the work bundled in the big book I own, they should be well worth the price. Maybe best to start with those two "German Armoured Trains in WW2" volumes.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Trains
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:46:10 AM »
My German is shaky at best so I thin I'll try to shake down a English copy.  
Thanks for the lead,
Brian

PS
I accidentally put this post on the Weird War and not the World War II board. :roll:

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Armored Trains
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »
Quote from: "Kampfgruppe Cottrell"
PS
I accidentally put this post on the Weird War and not the World War II board. :roll:

Moved it.

Offline assi

• Scientist
Armored Trains
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
Goddamn ..  :o  I want some of those!!
Oh sure. Everybody's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a Great White Shark, ooh, suddenly you've gone too far

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Armored Trains
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
Very very nice and I wouldnt hesitate to pay $60 for the first one but alas I am in the UK not the States. Had a quick look and found them on the Historex site - £54 ouch
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Trains
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 04:08:52 PM »
The guy I'm buying them from only charged me $5 for shipping so I'm sure he won't gouge you for over seas delevery.  It says US shipping on his listing but I have often changed my mind about that when someone contacts me with interest in an item.  A sales a sale.

I'd shoot him a e-mail to see,
Brian