Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Board MDF Thickness  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Board MDF Thickness
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
Hey all.

I'm thinking of getting some boards to put on my dining table to get it up to a proper war gaming size.

Basically I was wondering what the difference is between MDF and Hardboard (if there is any, in terms of use as a wargames table).

Also, what is the minimum thickness needed to support mostly metal army without structural failure, 3mm, 6mm or 12mm?

Thanks all

MM

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Board MDF Thickness
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
Different compound materials, however with regards to which is better as a board, you need MDF. As a standard thing (at least in the UK), hardboard isn't available in thick enough pieces to support a board although you can use it with battons to add rigidity. Personally I'd use 9mm or 12mm MDF because people have a tendancy to lean on the table and generally  the board overhangs the table edge. If you don't lean on it (or are skinny) then 6mm will be fine.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Pretty much what Dean says but I'd stay away from six as it can warp like a b**** in a dampish environment (not to say that nine and 12 won't but six is a bugger).

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »
MDF is dense old stuff, and I would say that 12mm is as thick as you want unless it's in fairly small bits. 18mm cupboard backs are an absolute swine!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
Thanks all. Im only worrying about thickness for reasons of costs. a 6mm thick 2'x4' board is only £6.50 where as a 12mm one would be £10+.

On that subject, is there some secret place that sells cheap MDF that I dont know about?

Cheers

MM

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
To be honest, I wouldn't go with cost being one of the reasons to get 6mm. It's cheaper but warps so much easier you will probably have to remake your terrain again after a short while.

cheers

James

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:06:24 AM »
If you go to a timber merchant who stocks MDF, you may be able to get cover-sheets at a reduced price (they're the sacrificial sheets used on the top and bottom of a stack of boards to protect them in transit). They won't be as clean and smooth as premium grade MDF, but if you're going to cover it with a gaming cloth that shouldn't be a big deal.

The minimum thickness you want really depends on the degree of overlap from the existing table edge. If you're going to overhang more than 350-400mm, you should be using 18mm, and I wouldn't go any lighter than 12mm in any case. A problem with thicker board is the weight -- a full 2440 x 1220mm sheet of 18mm board weighs a bit more than 40kg, which can be dangerous to manipulate on your own. However, it would be a simple matter to cut a sheet in half and add some locking lugs for use when it's over the table.

Note that raw MDF gives off formaldehyde (not a lot, but it's there), so it really should be sealed if you're going to store it inside your home. Also, the edges can be uncomfortably sharp, so it would pay to arras them well before handling the board much.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
My boards are 6mm MDF, had them for years, painted several times. Never warped, cracked or bent. I use 2ft by 4ft sections, deploying 1-4 depending on the size of board needed.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
My boards are 6mm MDF, had them for years, painted several times. Never warped, cracked or bent. I use 2ft by 4ft sections, deploying 1-4 depending on the size of board needed.

hey whats your overhang like? if i can use 6mm i would like to get away with it as its so much cheaper and i'm skint

Mr.Marx

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »
I use a 2.5ft by 5ft table as a support.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »
My boards are 6mm MDF, had them for years, painted several times. Never warped, cracked or bent.

Ditto. I find 6mm perfectly fine.
Most big DIY stores have a board cutting section as well, so you can basically get them cut to whatever size you want (that's what I did anyway, and I have about 15 boards in different finishes)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »
As I already had a couple of grass mats and some inch-by-half-inch pine strips, I went for the timber frame approach as detailed on my blog:

I got my older lad (age 4) to give me a hand, and we both survived the process  ::)