Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Showing my ignorance about Central Europe in early 18th century...  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
...so I do apologise, but I'm looking for a war that could/would have been fought in or near Central Europe (Austria/Prussia/Saxony/Russia/Carpathians/Balkans or that general area) in the period between 1700 and 1735. Ish.

I really know nothing about events in that part of Europe at that time, so any help with possible candidates for such a war would be gratefully received.

If indeed I'm in the right forum and I shouldn't be over in Flouncy Shirts.

So if that's the case, sorry, I told you I know nothing.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Showing my ignorance about Central Europe in early 18th century...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
If you move a tad north you have the Great Northern War 1700-1721 mainly involving, Sweden, Russia and Poland.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »
The war of spanish succsession http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Spanish_Succession
1701-1714. All major powers (except Russia which became a "super-power" after the GNW) involved, famous generals like Marlborough and Eugene of Savoy versus Louis XIV. very colourful uniforms. The ruleset "Beneath the Lilly Banner" covers this period.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:24:52 PM by Lt. Hazel »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
Thanks, I shall check those out. Wiki I'm sure will give me a bit of background to be going on with.

Nothing that anyone can think of more 1725-35-ish?

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:30:27 AM by Totleben »

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:18:54 AM »
Whatever happened to 'education'?  :?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
Thanks Totleben, I'll check those out.

Done: Seems that short period was actually pretty settled in Central and Eastern Europe... apart from those already mentioned, there doesn't seem to be much going on.

Greystreak, unfortunately I've never studied 18th century history, I only know vaguely about it from a British perspective and my knowledge of Europe (quite detailed until 1610, though more concentrating on Western Europe) then goes - 'errr, Napoleon' - and then picks up again in 1848. Just one of those blank bits I guess.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:28:53 AM by Red Orc »

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 05:41:26 PM »
Just for clarity, Red Orc, I was not having a go at you, personally.  I am simply frustrated by 'modern' education practices and curriculum 'design' that beggars comprehension.  With two sons entering or changing university programmes this year, the 'sins of the past' are delivering some very harsh choices.  >:( :'( :-[

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »
Whatever happened to 'education'?  :?

Pretty much gutted everywhere.   :'(  >:D

History suffered even more than past practices in the USA with the effort to go to the moon.   >:(  Going to the moon was one of the choices we profited from in so many unexpected ways but the idea of returning to space exploration is pretty "20th Century" and no longer an affordable option.   :(

Demeaning history (followed by grammar/spelling) was the first and second signs of the apocalypse.

When "Education" became a major in itself (and I have  daughter who is a dedicated, wonderful SPED teacher,) that was the third sign of the apocalypse.

Ignore my rambling, I am down with flu and feel hostile to everything today...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »
Just for clarity, Red Orc, I was not having a go at you, personally...

It's alright, I momentarily took your meaning as 'why don't you go and find out' but then decided you probably meant 'why don't they teach this stuff in schools?', so I'm not offended.

...  I am simply frustrated by 'modern' education practices and curriculum 'design' that beggars comprehension.  With two sons entering or changing university programmes this year, the 'sins of the past' are delivering some very harsh choices.  >:( :'( :-[

I'm in my forties... this means if I need to find something out the first thing I do is consult a referrence book, and I don't have any at home for the early 1700s in Central and Eastern Europe. I was quite surprised to find that wiki, as Totleben posted, had a page for '18th century conflicts'. It had never occurred to me that it would. I was assuming that I'd have to go and look at Polish or Bavarian history and find something that might serve. But a directory is quite a good idea... you know, this 'internet' thing might catch on!  ;)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:11 AM »
Red Orc, why do you need such a war? Do you want to set some individual heroic adventures in the early 1700's in central and eastern Europe?

Not much going on? That was a huge period of conflict! While the massive War of Spanish Succession redrew dynastic allignments in Western Europe, it overlapped with the Great Northern War, each of the two wars affecting the other. Part of the WSS involved a Hungarian revolt against Austria during the first several years of the century, even as Austria was fighting France and Bavaria in support of the Hapsburg candidate for the throne of Spain.

Prussia, Saxony and Denmark provided troops for the pro-Hapsburg anti-Bourbon alliance during the WSS, but these three powers were also fighting against Sweden during various parts of the GNW. Also Sweden was marching around in Saxony and Poland during the GNW. Sweden controlled part of Pomerania and Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and Finland, and these areas were all touched by the GNW.

I think even the Turks had a little bit of involvement in the GNW after the Swedish King Charles XII and some of his troops were interned in the Ottoman Empire after the Swedes experienced disaster at Poltava in 1709. I think there was another war involving the Ottomans in the 1730's. There was probably border skirmishing between Austria and the Ottomans throughout the period.

Seems to me there is plenty of scope for military adventure in central & eastern Europe then.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
The reason I'm looking for a war (or wars) in the area is that, in the background of the Ruritania books, one of the early 18th century kings is involved in a fair amount of fighting. In Ruritania, this period is known as the time of 'King Henry's Wars' (I think he's called Henry anyway, it doesn't really matter) but obviously these must just be the local name for the conflict(s).

I think the easiest explanation is to roll the Great Northern War, War of the Spanish Succession and perhaps the (Second) War of the Polish Succession (at least, up to the Siege of Danzig I think) together, claim that in Ruritania they are all grouped as 'King Henry's Wars' and that they last between 1700-1734 or thereabouts, with a bit of a rest 1721-1733. I might even be able to drag a little of the late 17th century wars between Russia and the Ottoman Empire in too; the King dies around 1734, and is perhaps in his 60s (maybe born around 1668?), so could conceivably have been taking Ruritanian armies around central and eastern Europe from around 1686.

1734 seems quite a jolly and peaceful time in Ruritania, so it's not likely that the country suffered any ill-effects from these wars - I'll have to work out who won all these conflicts and make sure Ruritania ends up allied to them!

Thanks for all the info guys. I can see I have a lot of researching of whose armies were where and when to be getting on with...

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »
try Vladimar "Gromboy' Velikanov 17th and 18th century Russian military website

http://rusmilhist.blogspot.com.au/

cheers
Matt