Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How I make a terrain  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Connann

• Assistant
How I make a terrain
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
This time I'll show you a WIP about how I make my terrains... well, two of them.
I hope you like it!

1) I decided to make a terrain with and arch, and a door in the wall.

I used chalk again to represent stone, and I must say that it's very good material to get that appearance. I'm very happy with it!

Now I want to show you how I use chalk to make the "stone". It's very easy and the results are awesome!

1.- First of all I buy chalk, the same as you used in your class when you were a child. You can glue some chalks between it to get a big wall or something similar,

2.- After that I use a sandpaper to get a regular surface. With a pencil I draw the stone form (regular, irregular... as you want!).
Now it's time to use my little metal brush; I aply it randomly over the surface to get the old stone appearance. It's very easy and impressive!!

3.- Finally you must paint it and be careful, because this material is very fragile.
I used for paint the stone: cammo brown (Vallejo) for the base and Middle Stone (Vallejo). For lights I used Sand (Vallejo) and a lot of washes with brown, yellow, green and blue. A mix of many colors, like you can see in a real stone. And that's it!

I hope you like this terrain.

Offline Connann

• Assistant
Re: How I make a terrain
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »
2) Here I explain how to make a stand, aterrain for your miniatures, without a extremely complex techniques. Everyone has their own way to do terrain, with their different styles, but I want to show you how I do it. Hope you like this!

STEP 1

I have used a wooden block, so the first thing to do is to sand the surface.

STEP 2 (Optional)

Now, before even get to create the basic substrate of the base, we can make some small or slight modification to the base. I make a recess in one corner of the block of wood. How is it done? Simple, with a screwdriver. After breakinge the corner, remove the scrap wood. This is ideal to simulate half-destroyed land, slopes or embankment, which will then add details.

STEP 3

Now I begin to give space to the base. In this case I use several metal pieces that I have been glue in the base.
In addition, I have decided to give depth to the scene, creating a new level. That's why I put in the back a small piece of chalk, worked as I said in this post (Chalk).

STEP 4

It is now when I use recycled materials. I used the brass of a soda can; I start to cut small strips that I glue in the base. I also add bits of plastic in the base.
As the back of the stage is completely open, I decide to use some wire to support a kind of poster plasticard. The space is ideal to put a bit of mosquito net, like a fence post apocalyptic.

In one side of the base I put a couple of small strips of light wood (cut with cutter) to which I add a bit of wire wiring mode. In addition, using light wood, put in some small boards under the banner of styrene. With a cardboard that I have, I cover the base on the right side, trying to represent a broken roof.
AlsoI used a tube brush as a broken pipe.

STEP 5

Now is time to consolidate the base substrate. It performs a mixture of white glue and water to stand with an old paintbrush on the floor of the base. You can take advantage now and get a little more sand or small gravel to give more variety to the set.

And that's it!!!

Ps. You can see the terrain finished here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38334.0

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
Re: How I make a terrain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
Hello,

I didn't post on your other threads (there are too many) but your dioramas really rock and are among the best I have seen.

You have excellent ideas and give life to all of them.

You must be a miniatures contests winner !!!!
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter