Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: It Came From Beyond the Still or Aliens vs Hillbilies. The Print Version  (Read 4785 times)

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
Re: ICFBTS - The Print Version
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:11:08 AM »
Robert, you should change the title of the thread as only a few people know what ICFBTS means.

Something like : It Came From Beyond The Still : Aliens vs Hillbillies and more (the print version).

If the artist is working on other projects we can use photos of miniatures. I am painting them and I'll post a new thread with photos as soon as I can so you could have an idea.

Speaking about Hillbillies miniatures here are a few more :

Copplestone castings in the gangsters range :
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=GAN

Road kill from Westwind  :
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=106_107&products_id=846

Mega Miniatures Moonshiners :
http://stores.ebay.fr/MegaMiniatures/MODERN-Civilians-/_i.html?_nkw=moonshiner&_fsub=585750011&_sid=2577791

Eric

I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
As I said, I got the PDF from WV.

It seems like a simple game, with a "tongue in cheek" approach. It's ok. you can expect a lot of seriousness just starting with the title.

But I have a couple questions:

I don't seem to find "point values", "levels" or "band organization rules", to make starting warbands for a (more or less) balanced game.

Or is all scenario driven?

Even if so, how do I balance starting forces just to have a quick and fun match up? (obviously appart from the couple of suggested scenarios in the rulebook. "Mutant chicken" sounds like a lot of fun).

I don't think that "Close combat" gets suficiently explained in general.

Does it follow the same rules and damage that shooting?

The blob force has "Burst" as an ability, but only the leader has damage associated with that. All other members does the same damage?

I'll continue to check the rules, thanks in advance for your answers.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
It's a simple and funny game.

I'll let Robert aka Watchtower78 answer as the rules are his "baby" but I can already tell you that there is no point system to create factions except for weapons (weapons closet supplement). There is no experience system either.
So yes it's scenario driven but you can change the existing scenarios and make your own.

You can play a quick and fun match. For instance the first time I played it took around 30 minutes to play a single scenario (and 15 for the mutant chicken one). If you think 4 factions is too much for a quick game just only use 2.

Yes close combat follows the same rules as shooting : roll for damage and score a hit.

Only the Blob leader seems to have the burst ability : there is a typo in the list. I think Robert could tell you more about it.

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
    • Dastardly Designed Games
Sorry yes the print version has been updated to reflect the fix in typos. Sorry about the typos. We reviewed this thing multiple times but they still seem to creep up.

Only the blob leader has the burst ability.

There are no points systems or faction building guidelines. This game is intended to be scenario driven but I run games all the time with just a leader and a like amount of opposing forces. I am working on some kind of faction building system for the existing individuals for the ICFBTS: The Missing Link (High Adventure in a Trailer Park) pulp gaming with obvious parodies of the  pulp classics such as Earl Jones the archaeologist and his metal detector. My WTNW (When the Navy Walked: Victorian Science Fiction) rules included a very in depth unit creation system and I purposefully stayed away from that this time. If you are looking for balance try to use the same number of leader figures and others within a faction. If you give the hillbillies a truck, give the aliens a robot or tripod. That works well.

The game is intended to be tongue in cheek and because of that the rules for close combat are the same as the rules for shooting. Roll x dice versus targets Hit Me score and that is how many wounds you cause.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Thank you pals.

I'll try to gather a game with a friend this weekend to try the rules.

Best wishes.

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
I am running a huge It Came From Beyond the Still game at my house on St Paddys day. Check out my blog armchairgeneral1.blogspot.com for details.

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
I wish I could come for this game but it's a bit far... ;)

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
I am considering putting together a kickstarter project. There would be several pledge levels offering everything from free copies of the pdf, the book, the book and the first faction or the book and the first two factions, all of the above plus a special character, all of the above plus a faction of your choice to be designed by you.

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
I love kick starter!
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
This looks really cool! :D Keep up the good work

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
Hows pulp alley coming? I love all the pages. Nice to see I am in the credits ;)

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
I just finished putting the final touches on It Came From Beyond the Still: Something's in the Sauce. Should be out in a few weeks in pdf!