Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Old Compatibles?  (Read 2645 times)

Bezzo

The Old Compatibles?
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »

I was lucky enough to buy a 100+ Foundry Bronze Age figs just before Christmas, at a good price too. I am still on the look out for more  too but meanwhile does anyone know any range that has compatible figures, just for a bit of variety?

I have been looking at various 'celtic' ranges and trying to select simply armoured types with plain helmets, or unarmoured minis. Are there any saxons that might fit in?

Would welcome any steer towards other options.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Re: The Old Compatibles?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
Carthagian city guards? They basically only wear a long robe and a conical helmet.
like this Crusader pack:

or else Numidians. Probably the Perry's did some at some point.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:47:52 AM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
I know very little about the era, so forgive any inauthenticity... I cant think of any Saxons which look similar. In terms of 'hairy germanics' the old Foundry Savage german warriors (near naked with furs, etc)  could work well if given Bronze spears, wooden clubs, etc...
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
You surely could use some of the Cutting Edge Late Bronze Edge miniatures. Several of them are looking generic enough to cover other regions than Middle East or North Africa.

http://cuttingedgeminiatures.com

Like that example.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »
Thank you Prof....that is a definite line to explore. I am looking for unarmoured, and basic dressed figs so I am sure there are offerings that will meet that criteria.

For some reason I thought I'd be swamped with suggestions....which was not the case. Strange?

Not really: until I clicked on it just now, I assumed this thread would be about the Great War British Expeditionary Force (I encountered it via "unread posts" rather than through a theme board index).  Perhaps if you changed it to something like "North European Bronze Age query", you might get some results?

Anyhow, I hope the reconstruction below, from the cover of Michael Parker Pearson Bronze Age Britain (English Heritage / Batsford Books, London, 1993) may be of some use in identifying Iron Age or Dark Age figures to co-opt.

Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »
Steve F - thanks for contribution. Oddly I suppose I had assumed a post in the Ancient section of the forum might have indicated my query was related to that era and not World War One. Apologies for making such a wild assumption. I can see I need to be more explicit for LAFfers to understand what I am asking.

As I said, I didn't come in through the Age of Myths Index, I came in through unread posts, which is not organised by topic.  No need to be snippy.  Perhaps that sort of attitude is why no-one wants to help you?
  Sorry, that was uncalled-for.  Apologies.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:39:56 AM by Steve F »

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:59:19 PM »
I saw this in the Unread Posts listing, where the sub-forum title is indicated; that's what brought me here!  The thread title was sufficiently intriguing to have a look.

In addition to the Cutting Edge range, you might look at suitable figures from Castaway Arts' Bronze Age ranges:

http://www.castawayarts.com.au/catalog/catalog_main.php?cmd=loadup

For example, this Makkanite (from the "Biblical/Zagros Highlanders" range) might be suitable:

Castaway's Biblicals are fairly compatible size-wise with the Foundry Biblical range, so they'll go well enough with the Foundry NEBA range.

Another possibility would be the former Newline ancients ranges, now available from SHQ:

http://www.shqminiatures.co.uk/Ranges/25mmAncients/Ancientsmain.php?UID=2012030323440071.119.62.178

I'd look at the Maccabean javelinmen and spearmen, for example: they are dressed in simple tunics (of modest length, not short ones like the Greeks and Numidians) and cloaks.  These are also quite compatible with Foundry.  Sorry there are no photos available, but Newline's counterparts in the 20mm ranges that they retained will give you some idea; I have the 25/28mm versions, and they are very simlar:

Newline has done additional 25/28mm ancients ranges after sending the old ones off to SHQ.  You might find some useful figures among their new Biblical ranges, such as these Israelite javelinmen in kilts:

http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122_132_138&products_id=960

Thanks for asking the question, since it has given me some thoughts as to expanding my own Foundry NEBA collection.  Amazon Miniatures made some NEBA figures years ago, but they were quite stiff and chunky (not a good match with Foundry), and are no longer in production anyway.  I had sort of given up on a European Bronze Age army, but now, I'll consider it again!

Allen
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:01:53 PM by aecurtis »
What fresh hell is this?