Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empire of the Dead - Ripper scenario (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Empire of the Dead - Ripper scenario (PIC HEAVY)
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »
I've been asked by my local wargaming shop to help run an Empire of the Dead demo game on behalf of Westwind at WMMS in March. We had a read through of the rules in the week and only needed to clarify a few points with the gang at Westwind before putting them to the test yesterday. The free fast-play rules released on Westwind's site are geared towards the Jack the Ripper scenario released with them.

It's clear the rules are going to have a lot more guts to them when released but the fast-play rules are easy to get to grips with and some fun games which last on average about an hour can be had. We found the most important element to the game is the initiative so we tweaked that part of the ruleset to make the gameplay more challenging.

In the scenario Jack has ten moves in which to 'harvest' the organs of four hapless victims. With Holmes, Watson and the local constabulary closing in on him he's got his work cut out (pun intended). The final tally of victories was pretty even with all games reaching climactic finales before move ten.

The only drawback we saw with this scenario is that it relies on line of sight in built up areas. Although the market for Victorian buildings is gradually increasing some may struggle to get a good amount of buildings and sundries on the table to be able to play the scenario in the spirit it was written.

Anyhow, Here's some eye candy for you. We played numerus games during the day so this is a collage of pictures taken during the day in no particular order. Sorry they aren't over exciting, I put my hands up to being a bit slack with the camera.  

The table:

As dawn breaks over the East End crowds on the street indicate another Ripper victim has been discovered:

Fear leaves the usually bustling streets empty. Only the brave or foolish venture out:

Trapped in the open The Ripper is confronted by Constable Mostache while a man carrying Victorian headphones calls for help:

Sherlock and Watson supported by the local constabulary respond to cries for help:

Watson spots Jack attacking an unfortunate victim:

Sherlock finally confronts The Ripper over the body of his latest victim:

Another confrontation between Sherlock and Jack:

With The Ripper defeated hopefully the traditional appearance of a constable on every street corner will see calm return to the streets of the East End:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:06:00 AM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Empire of the Dead - Ripper scenario (PIC HEAVY)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »
Although the market for Victorian buildings is gradually increasing some may struggle to get a good amount of buildings and sundries on the table to be able to play the scenario in the spirit it was written.

Bit of an understatement, TC.

Your Victorian city rules!  :-*

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: your city board rocks, TC.  Looks like a great game and I have to say I do prefer the scenario-driven approach to Horror gaming.

Unfortunately, as you point out, the cost and storage of such fabulous terrain is beyond the capacity of most of us gaming plebs.  Although companies like Warbases and Sarissa and the upcoming line from jimbibbly (terraces on the way, apparently) are starting to make things more feasible financially, storage will always be an issue.  There are, however, 'cheaty' ways around this problem.  One idea that I fully intend to steal is Anatoli's tall, free-standing fence sections (see here), which allow you to fill up empty areas cheaply and effectively.  My own intention is to create a run-down industrial area of small workshops/warehouses with plenty of fences and debris about the place to create more of a 'built-up' environment.  How long that will take is another matter altogether!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »
Fantastic table, thanks for sharing  :-*

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Damn! What a table!

However, as has been pointed out, if scenarios depend on this level of layout the game will exclude a lot of people. Regardless, I will still be buying it when it comes out.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
Excellent stuff Cheeks.
Your buildings look wonderful, can't wait to see this in the flesh again soon ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »
Some very nice atmospheric shots of your wonderful town. Did the Ripper fail/get caught every try then?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
Splendid dear boy  :-*

You're package will be on it's way tomorrow  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
I always love seeing your Victorian layout.  :-*
Really fantastic. I'm jealous.

I'm still waiting to see more of the Stepney Job.  lol

I'll probably pick up a copy of these rules as well.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »
Looks great. The buildings look very nice and I like the detailing on them.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
That city certainly drew the short straw, first those damn Martians in their tripods and now The Ripper.  What ever next by jove?
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »
Love everything you have done.
Outstanding.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 04:27:11 AM »
Wonderful scenery, nicely painted miniatures and a fun game.

What else can a gamer ask for?

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:39 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments chaps. There's some more buildings on the production line including some goodies from Jimbibbly's new range so watch this space.

I should point out that this set up is only needed for this specific scenario but as Funghy points out there's ways around it. I'm sure with the main ruleset there'll be plenty of other scenarios or ideas for others.

Funghy, you're right about those fence sections by Anatoli, he inspired me to build a few myself.

Jimbibbly, you're a gent. It'll be like Christmas  :).

Svennn, the results were pretty much even. We found the calculated but cautious players won the day for the Ripper whereas the gung-ho psychopaths were caught out and cornered before they could 'harvest' their four victims. The Ripper can go about his dreadful business until he is either caught red handed by the police or spotted by Sherlock or Watson, then he has to do some fast thinking and be on his toes. The scenario is set at night so line of sight is restricted to 18", not that easy for Sherlock and Watson to spot him. Also the three police figures are at the mercy of random moves until one of them either witnesses the Ripper attacking a victim or stumbles across a body, even then they have to be within 6" of either. Once alerted however the police will come under the control of the Sherlock and Watson player(s).       

Sterling, dont forget Quatermass  ;)

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:15:53 AM »
Excellent Stuff Old Boy!!!

Must admit I've been waiting for the new miniatures releases rather than the rules but I may give them a look when they are released. I've looked at the free .pdf and it looks pretty good so far.

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.