Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: cheap source for modelling flock ?  (Read 4043 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
cheap source for modelling flock ?
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently searching for "classic" modelling flock, especially like the classic citadel green turf.

Not the static grass flock, or the stained wood dust flock, but the one looking like cork dust, I think.

I tried a lot of modelling flocks (even homemade), but I don't find the correct color and texture I had with citadel modelling flock I was using 10-15 years ago. I even don't know if it exists these days.

I'd like to find a cheap source for that kind of modelling flock (big quantities) because I need to flock arount 200cms x 150cm of heroscape tiles.

Thank you for your help (hoping that you see what kind of flock I'm searching for!).

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Re: cheap source for modelling flock ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
My local modeling shop must have about 20+ types of flock for sale and its only a tiny little place. Just about every modeling shop I have been in have a huge variety.  Will none of those do? If you are after a very particular type, which it kind of sounds like you are, perhaps try posting a picture?. I'm sure there must be some somewhere.

MM

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:56:49 AM »
Woodland Scenics is the model railroading company that I use for flock. In these days of the internet, I am sure you can order online. I have done several large mats: 2'x'2 each, four mats total, with one of their larger bags (about $5 CAD).

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »
Either woodland scenics for the ground foam flock or try looking for the coloured sawdust (that's what people used to use 10-15 years ago) made by people such as Hornby.

I would recomend woodland scenics, damn good looking product and very very low cost for the quantity you get.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
I live in the country, so there is NO modelling stores in about 100 kilometers around  :D

Concerning saw dust modelling flock, it's not the result I want. Actually, I make my own saw dust modelling flock. But the result I want seems to be more like cork dust. Like the one Citadel was selling when I was a teenager, 15 years ago. Citadel was selling only two types of flock : green static grass and green "cork dust-like" modelling flock.

I'll try to find a pic of it. And I'll take a look on woodland scenics products. The problem is that I tried so many cheap flocks, without finding the same I wanted (but citadel flock is too expensive for my budget, regarding my big project, sadly).

Thanks !

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
I wonder if you're looking for the same flock I was... I bought a non-descript bag of extremely fine granular stuff that's clearly not sawdust, and not foam, that was unlabelled and probably extremely old. I only had that little half-bag, so I mixed it with other flock for more variety, but I don't think I'll ever be able to replace it.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Probably the same thing. I guess it's cork reduced in dust. I readed some tutorials about making my own flock with that thing. I already make my own modelling flock with stained fine saw dust, but it's not the effect I want to do in that particular case.

I guess I just have to buy a coffee blender and make my own.  :D If I sucess, I'll post result on the forum.

thanks again

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:57 AM »
Please, don't make your own. Find a supplier of that flock, cause I need it too! =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
I know the stuff you're after. I've got a little tub, if it's any help?
Duncan

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »
Try these people:

http://www.javis.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=11&Itemid=2

Been around since the 1970s, very fine ground flock sold for model railway enthusiasts. Much finer than sawdust.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »
!!!

I can't speak for Sundayhero, but that looks very close to the stuff I have!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
Not sure of the colour (the one I think about was more yellow I believe), but it seems to be quite the same, it's true.

But I'll need dozens of bags to cover a 200x120cm heroscape table  :o

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
Yeah that looks very similar, good find.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 05:57:21 AM »
Miniwargaming does a tutorial on how to make some good looking flock and im pretty sure you could make it in a fairly large quantity, but im not sure what the citadel flocks looked like so you might have to play around with the colours and stuff.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:30:24 PM »
Not sure of the colour (the one I think about was more yellow I believe), but it seems to be quite the same, it's true.

But I'll need dozens of bags to cover a 200x120cm heroscape table  :o

I know that stuff. They do it in loads of shades of green. Its really cheap and you can buy it in really big bags.