Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:38:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690481
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some help wanted; links, ideas, suggestions for 1/48 and 28mm Star Wars  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Heya

I am trying not to get any more projects going, however, I am secretly (sort of :-p) and very slowly building some Star Wars stuff for a future SW Wargaming table. I am just collecting various models and figures at the moment, and painting a bit every now and then to get some variety to my current hobby projects.

So, with this in mind I am trying to locate stuff that can be used, and I have found some furniture and such, but would love more, any suggestions and preferably links would be most welcome.

I am also looking for vehicles that can be used, in the 1/48 range would be great, or at least close to it, so they can be used along with 28mm-32mm figs like Knight Miniatures. Any Star Wars related vehicles are of interest.

I am looking for a WotC AT-AT, but I think that there is a model by Revell that can be used as well? The Revell model seems to be larger and more suitable for my purposes than the WotC version, even though that seems more detailed, size is more important for me though.

A question, is it the Revell kit Item #85-1859 that people are using for 28mm figs?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:02:01 AM by Galland »
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: Some help wanted; links, ideas, suggestions for 1/48 and 28mm Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
I thought the WOTC was perfect.  It's a lot less work.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
I like using the old action figure one - gives a real sense of 'damn these things are big'  ;)

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
I like using the old action figure one - gives a real sense of 'damn these things are big'  ;)

I have the old action figure one, along with a sort of complete collection of Kenner vintage toys, however they are not to be played with ;-)

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
I have the old action figure one, along with a sort of complete collection of Kenner vintage toys, however they are not to be played with ;-)

I had everything, and the boxes for it all - but then my siblings trashed the stored boxes (as I did play with my toys but looked after them) - now I've some stuff still in good condition, and other ones I picked up to convert into 28mm large spaceships - the Falcon, rebel transport, atst's etc

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
Back in ye olden days of the mid-2000s, I did a small Star Wars project, and found the old AMT/MPC AT-STs to be a fine fit for large 28mm figures, and 36ers will probably work even better:

The fact that I got them dirt cheap (as in 2,50 Euros apiece) did help, I'll admit. You should be prepared to put some work into them as they are showing their age (and might not be too easy to find anymore) - the diagonal split of the head turret and the open inner facings of the upper thighs are particularly irritating.

Finally, while I don't own a copy myself, the Revell snap-fit Lambda Class shuttle works very well, especially as a terrain piece or if modelled in flight - it is a little smaller in scale than 28mm, but looks good overall, and it doesn't dwarf other figures unduly.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
Another saddo!
Glad I am not the only one........ ::)

Hehe, far from it my friend. However I sold most of my MOC collection recently, along with most of my MIB stuff. It was sort of sad to see it go, but its all good, the good money that came out of it have been used for other hobbies.
I have sold a huge vintage collection once allready in my life so it wasnt the first time. I actually sold a complete mint in box collection about 15-16 years or so ago. I still have a complete (including most variants) loose figure collection (save the telescopic sabers unfortunatly), missing one figure, and I am not sure why, its just gone for some reason. It might have got lost when we moved over to this appartment some 7 years ago. I will replace it one day I am sure. The larger toys are being sold and now I only have a about 15 or so boxed toys left (boxes are in a sad state, but some are unopend), and about 30 figures mint on card waiting to go to the black hole known as eBay. I am still looking in my signed by the author Kellerman bible every now and then and dream about that special figure.

Good information about that Shuttle, and I will be sure to check it out. The AMT/Ertl stuff is hard to find, there also used to be some 1/48 scale resin kits, also gone by now I take it, cant find anything about them at least.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Galland,

Rather than everyone just repeat what's been posted before, probably worth you having a search through the numerous starwars threads on here, will save you time and answer the majority of your questions in one hit I'd expect.

Re: AT-AT. I have the revell one and it looks great, I've only repainted the cockpit lenses and head weaponry to date, and to be honnest it looked great straight off the sprue after a quick coat of purity seal to matte it down.

Cheers

The Commander
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:46:10 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thank you Commander for your input. I have actually gone through quite a lot of Star Wars threads, but the search function is a bit iffy, or rather I might be a bit iffy for not understanding how to operate it properly.

I have actually taken your advice regarding the AT-AT and went ahead and ordered one. It will be a fun model to build I am sure :)

One more question though, if anyone have any information regarding the 1/48 kits I would be very happy to read it.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
On my thread there's a link to custom action fleet vehicles,bloody amazing, well worth checking out. I think you'll always going to have a little suspension of disbelief with the ranges, as y-wings, x-wings, a-wings etc, all scale up differently from the micro machine/action fleet ranges but that aside, they work.

I've got an ertl/mpc falcon in the box that I will eventually get to building, 1/72(ish) but will be fine for 25mm weg, it's also been used to good effect with WOC figures I recall.

Finally scenery, again in the thread but anisty crates and sci-fi storage, fenris games crates and storage and pardulon-models stuff too.

Cheers

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
Jens at Pardulon also has some crates that'll work well as Star Wars type crates.
Duncan

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
On my thread there's a link to custom action fleet vehicles,bloody amazing, well worth checking out. I think you'll always going to have a little suspension of disbelief with the ranges, as y-wings, x-wings, a-wings etc, all scale up differently from the micro machine/action fleet ranges but that aside, they work.

I've got an ertl/mpc falcon in the box that I will eventually get to building, 1/72(ish) but will be fine for 25mm weg, it's also been used to good effect with WOC figures I recall.

Finally scenery, again in the thread but anisty crates and sci-fi storage, fenris games crates and storage and pardulon-models stuff too.

Cheers

link please to said thread?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
Jens at Pardulon also has some crates that'll work well as Star Wars type crates.
Duncan

Said that....

link please to said thread?

I dunno, have a look in the thread bud, sorry.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »
Found that custom page for you:

http://actionfleetunlimited.com/customs.html