Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Urban War questions  (Read 1200 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Urban War questions
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:35 AM »
Howdy,
I was wondering if any one on here has played the game Urban War, and what is your Opinion on it? I like the miniatures, but it doesn't seem to get much play. Thoughts? And or Links to forces or Mins painted.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: Urban War questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
I think it's quite good, quite well up there with Infinity that looks to be something of a runaway hit (albeit of still modest proportions compared with, say, WARMACHINE). This with the caveat that I've only played the 1st edition. The 2nd ed, on paper, streamlines the rules, sometimes quite a bit, at the expense of some character/flavour. It probably isn't bad to play per se, for example some points values look to have been adjusted toward making more sense. It's just a bit more beige now than it was.

Offline Benny

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
I hated it. I tried to like it (some nice miniatures) and an interesting background. But the rules didnt agree with me or my local gaming group. It has been a while since i played it so i cant remember specifics. But i do remember all the paper tokens that were needed and the way initiative was worked out was not to my liking. As was the rules updates and new units being posted only in there magazines.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
That's kind of what is drawing me to it. I like the mins and the back ground. If all else fails, I might just pick them up and use my own rule a different rule set. I really like the Junkers, Gladiators and Triad forces. And the Veradian assault Marines and urban interdiction units.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »
Well, obviously you don't need to play or even own the game to have the minis. There are many very good (well, popular at least) generic games on the market these days for example. But if you go that route it might be better not to get the UW rules at all - the typical problem with generic games being that they are never quite as good at being Game X as Game X is.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
We hated first edition too...the order system didn't really work, especially combined with the tiered character system. You paid a lot more points for more veteran characters, but the chance of them actually doing what you wanted was slim...it was all down to dice rolling. In addition, close combat was terribly incorporated. We played it several times and then wrote it off. Too bad, I still think the Viridians are amongst the best sci-fi miniatures released.

A friend of mine was involved with the development of second edition and according to him it sucked a lot. So never looked back and probably won't start 2nd edition ever.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »
I've never played it, nor do I plan on it, but I do love the miniatures.  The VASA faction in particular, I am picking up for use with a generic NearFuture ruleset (probably either Force on Force or Flying Lead).  I say pick up what you like and find the rules that work for you.