Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:18:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689811
  • Total Topics: 118297
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Contra-Paranormal Unit  (Read 9698 times)

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
British Contra-Paranormal Unit
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 09:42:47 AM »
Another thought would be lifting the E Branch background from Brian Lumley's Necroscope series of novels and recasting it in the 40s.

On uniforms you could pick up on the early LRDG, SAS and Popski's Private Army.  A mix of service and non-regulation with individual wearing their original unit badges or you could put it on more formal lines.

Also SOE operated completely in civilian kit and were integrated into the local populace.

So lots of options really...
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Caradog

• Schoolboy
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 08:07:30 PM »
Quote from: "xeoran"
No, most insignia is removed. The LRDG removed all badges and the only unifier was a black Tankers beret. Similarly the SAS all wore red/khaki berets. 14 Intelligence wore no signs etc. Most flashes, rank signifiers, regimental bits and bobs etc are removed. Though as MI 13 may not have existed or at least wasn't documented then perhaps they do.

Like Jolly Bob said, how dark do you want it to be? If light then regimental berets anbd badges is fine, in fact the more the merrier. Add huge moustaches and so on and you're there (as a model I advise Garth Ennis character "The Major" AKA "Fluffybottom" from his Bloody Mary series. Great two series.) If dark then no insignia and I advise reading the book, "The Operators" about 14 Intelligence as a model. I presume its light because you want pop culture references in which case I have to point you towards the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as the epitome. Any particular characters? Just a few off the top o' the bonce (mostly from comics).

Rat Pack
Darkies Mob
Captain Hurricane
Archie the Robot
The Spectral Hand
Sergeant Without Stripes
The Bootneck Boy
H.G. Wells in power armour
Johnny Red
Alf Tupper
Charlie of Charlies War (little knowm but the strip continued into WW2 only without Pat Mills)
Battler Britton
Biggles
Aleister Crowley
Any sort of Anglo Indian
Adrian Carton de Wiart
etc.

Plenty more if you want it. As for various no good occult bits and bobs have a gander here: http://darksondesigns.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=troop&action=display&thread=1173623917

Hope that helps.  :)

I see Alistair Crowley gets a mention in your link. By coincidence theres a whole slew of articles in the current Fortean Times on the "wickedest man on earth".

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »
Quote from: "revford"
Quote from: "Overlord"
Still better than being a TOSser  :oops:

That was the great name I had in mind for them.  :)

Sounds like a first class nickname for members of a special military branch.

Don't forget, even Colonel Marbles is a tosser... :lol: