Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690761
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Israeli 15mm Reinforced Platoon  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
New Israeli 15mm Reinforced Platoon
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
And now for something completely different...

Tam-tam-taaam!

Another thing I finished up while having computer woes was to paint up this reinforced platoon of New Israeli troops for 15mm Science Fiction games. As some might have guessed, then I'm working on a game for this level of 15mm gaming (Fireteam Andromeda) and well - I need troops to test the game with! And here the first platoon is - with another one slowly working its way out of the drawer and onto the painting table :D

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: New Israeli 15mm Reinforced Platoon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
I like your infantry a lot, but I think your vehicles could use some weathering or shading.   Good looking group though. 

Jake

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
Nice, just go for a thicker PVA and maybe a second gravelling on the bases so you can't see the integral bases, apart from that and the weathering comment, nice start.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
I agree with the comments on the troop bases but I quite like the clean look of the tanks as they are. Maybe once the rest of the troops/vehicles are painted up, a few decals on the vehicles would add a bit of oomph...but I like them :)

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
Nice - I just love those GZG new Israelis.  Interesting basing - what rules?

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
Actually, the vehicles have recieved some weathering that really just won't show on these photos - but like Inso, I prefer a relatively clean look to my vehicles. The bases, as mentioned, do look a bit out of place and next time I base up figures for this project I'll add more PVA/Filler to the bases to hide that big tab. However, as I have so many projects, then these miniatures are going to stay as is for now :)

However, a few decals here and there wouldn't be too much trouble...

@Paddy - Same here, that's why they were the first to get painted up :D

The basing is for a homebrew set of rules that I'm working on/off called Fireteam Andromeda; I'm aiming for something kinda-like 40k in its complexity, but with a little more depth, allowing for players to design their own armies and with some tactical choices other than "Run up to the enemy and bash 'em over the head" ;)

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »
Mine are based on 1ps with HW teams of 2 figs based on 2ps.  However, I'm thinking that the best option is for all figs to be based on 2ps with 2 per base.

Can I just check that the VTOL is a Raven gunship?  Originally when I saw it on Jez's stall I didn't like it as to me it looked too small.  However, seeing how it fits in with your force it looks just the right size.  I may invest in some for my Texian Airborne.

Paddy

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
I went that route as well with a couple of other 15mm miniatures, but I've since then found that 15mm is too small a scale for me to have that much detail. I just can't pick out the various weapons that easily in the heat of battle :)

15mm, to me, is a good go-between for something a bit larger than Platoon sized skirmish, but still smaller than a Battalion level skirmish. I guess that's Reinforced Platoon/Company scale games... but in the end, I just like the look of these "fireteams" or "buddy teams".

And yes, the VTOL lurking in the background is indeed a Raven VTOL from Old Crow - I find that it has the right dimensions, but I still think that the cockpit is humongeous for 15mm. Reminds me that I need to figure out a new flying stand for the poor bird...