Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:40:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Squats/Grymn for 2nd edition 40k  (Read 22539 times)

Offline Minion

• Student
  • Action Scientist
    • The Idea Refinery
Squats/Grymn for 2nd edition 40k
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums, and figured that a good way to introduce myself might be to show what I'm currently working on. I recently moved cities, and found some people in the new town who still play 2nd edition 40k. I always loved that game, and figured I'd join in. What better way to do that than with an army that hasn't existed since 2nd edition?

Inspired by Inso and Brandlin, I decided to use Hasslefree Grymn for the basic troopers, and Old Crow for the vehicles. I picked up some test models, which looked like this:

You might recognise some AT-43 Kolossus models in the middle there; I had plans for those! I also did a test paint job:

I thought it worked out pretty well, so I decided to go ahead! Lots of assembly and conversion later, and here's what I've got. I'm using a Squat army list that was published in Inquisitor magazine #15, which allows a few more options than the standard Black (paper) Codex list. So far I've painted two squads of Longbeards (veterans, basically) in power armour with boltguns:

No Squat army is complete without Mole Mortars. I built mine from Forgeworld Elysian Drop Trooper mortars and a bit of plastic rod:

Squats also need Hearthguard (champions, basically) in Exo-Armour, and that's where those AT-43 Kolossus figures came in. With a bit of conversion work, this was the result, three with storm bolters and one with a lascannon:

That's probably enough pictures for an introduction. Hi everybody! I'll come back later and show you my Warlord and my Ancestor Lord, as well as the jeeps with turrets that I'm using as Squat Attack Trikes. I've also got some photos taken from the first three games I've played with this army.

Comments are very welcome!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Squats/Grymn for 2nd edition 40k
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
Very nice work. I like the paint schemes and the mole mortars look very nice. Aren't the Hearthguard a bit big though for what is essentially a squat in terminator armour? They have a good style to them that works though.
Duncan

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
Way to make an entrance  :-* !

Excellent stuff. The bright paint-scheme really suits your troops and the Kolossus are perfect for your little army (they are what I would have gone for if I didn't have the Vulkans and could find those in decent amounts).

I never let things like existing fluff get in the way of using cool models/miniatures so Kollossus as Exo Squats works for me. The mole-mortars are great and really look the part.

I am watching this one  :o !

Offline ZuluPaul

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
Nice... always liked Squats, still have the old plastic Squats of the '80s.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:49 PM »
Wow! Welcome to LAF. You're eye candy is very welcome here!

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:09:42 AM »
Saw this army on WGAU, great to see it here as well.

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
Love it. This is going to be a very cool army
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:14 AM »
Beautiful painting on those Grymn - looking forward to the vehicles, and whatever else is on the way!

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »
Very nice!! :o

Offline Minion

• Student
  • Action Scientist
    • The Idea Refinery
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:36:40 AM »
You're all so welcoming -- thanks everyone!

Very nice work. I like the paint schemes and the mole mortars look very nice. Aren't the Hearthguard a bit big though for what is essentially a squat in terminator armour? They have a good style to them that works though.
Duncan

Cheers Duncan! You're probably right that the Hearthguard are a bit big, but the way I see it the Squats feel like they've got a bit to compensate for! I think of them more as Hearthguard inside little walkers, rather than Hearthguard wearing suits of armour.  Plus, like Inso says, I'm mostly about what looks cool! We're pretty casual around here with things like model sizes, so we haven't had any issues in play. We've got a Grey Knights player using a Dreadknight as a Dreadnought, and there's quite a hefty size difference going on there!

Saw this army on WGAU, great to see it here as well.

A fellow Australian! Yup, I've been posting quite a bit about this on WargamerAU. Folks over there have been very helpful!

Alright, how about some more pictures? I picked up some heavy support, in the form of a Predator substitute and a Whirlwind substitute, from Old Crow. They're not hugely exciting, because I've basically assembled them as they came, with minimal modifications. Here's the Whirlwind, with a bit of stowage on the side and a celtic plate from Scibor on the front:

For something a bit quicker, I decided to use Old Crow jeeps as substitutes for Attack Trikes. Obviously they needed turret-mounted heavy weapons, and after some messing around (and lots of suggestions fro WargamerAU!) this is what I ended up with:

There are two of them:

And the weapons are magnetised:

Which leaves me with basically one thing to show you: my Warlord in Exo Armour. This was a pretty hefty conversion for me (with lots of helpful advice from one of the local 2nd ed players). I added height to the AT-43 Kolossus, to make it more imposing. It's got pieces from Scibor miniatures, the Kaeris figure from Malifaux, a Khador warjack kit from Privateer Press, and a GW Imperial Guard sentinel. I give you the Winged Warlord:

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »
Very nice stuff all round  8)

The winged warlord is paticulary eye catching. What sort of colour scheme are you going to have for it (assuming it's not done yet  :) ).

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »
Very cool looking toys. That warlord is freaking awesome.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »
Very nice conversions. The trikes look especially well done. Squat were the first army I ever collected and so I still have a soft spot in my heart for them 20 years on.
After a little more thought since the Hearthguard are mounted on roughly 40mm bases, I'm guessing that height/bulk difference isn't too bad.
Duncan

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
Beautiful work and welcome , love the colour scheme and the armour is cracking :-*

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »
Wow! Great job!  :-*

All the bits work really well together, and your painting is superb! Loving it!