Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:46:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690928
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Squats/Grymn for 2nd edition 40k  (Read 22541 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Squats/Grymn for 2nd edition 40k
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
 :o :o :o
Wow!

What a fantastic project!
Great conversions, brilliant concept and very effective colour scheme.
I will be keeping a close eye on this project.

And welcome to the Forum, what an introduction.....

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
Wow - great conversions; great colour scheme very well painted. I'll be watching with interest!

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
Wonderful work all round. Must resist Grymm...
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
Very nice! Battle walkers make much more sense than exo-armour, for squats. I always thought squats would be somewhat psychotic, and piloting an assault machine makes more sense than waddling around in cumbersome unpractical armour.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
Great conversion jobs, Minion. Welcome to the board! I love what you done to the Colossia (?) and the Winged Warlord is awsum. I am not a big fan of the Old Crow vehicles to be honest, but those gunners & weapons really bring them to life. Much better! And it's always nice to see people rooting for teh Squats, may GW burn in mall hell for droppign them. lol

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
Fantastic looking force thus far

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 03:06:29 AM »
There's a fair few Aussies on LAF. (many of us from the same gaming club!)

It's projects like these that make me want to do a Sci-fi army... maybe next year.

Offline Minion

• Student
  • Action Scientist
    • The Idea Refinery
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
Thanks everybody! I really appreciate all the kind comments. Way to make the new guy feel welcome! I'm particularly happy to hear that people like the colour scheme and paint jobs -- I'm trying to paint these guys much quicker than my usual (slow!) pace, and sometimes I get worried that they're looking a bit shabby. This is the sort of thing I like to do when I've got fewer models to paint:

The winged warlord is paticulary eye catching. What sort of colour scheme are you going to have for it (assuming it's not done yet  :) ).

Honestly, jimbibbly, I have no idea! Suggestions are welcome. The infantry so far have been painted very cleanly, so I was thinking about just doing the same sort of thing with the Exo-Armour. Same basic colours (GW Astronomican Grey, GW Hawk Turquoise and PP Coal Black as the base), and I'll probably use some stencils or transfers to put numbers on the jaw plates and the shoulders. Whaddya reckon?

After a little more thought since the Hearthguard are mounted on roughly 40mm bases, I'm guessing that height/bulk difference isn't too bad.

Yeah, they're mounted on 40mm bases. There's no doubt they look large next to the infantry, but not too large, I think:

(That's the Winged Warlord before the undercoat.) One of the things that helps is the local Ork player is actually using the same figures for his Ork Nobs in Mega Armour:

You can see more of his Orks on WargamerAU (link here). The story goes that the Orks stole some Exo-Armour from the Squats, stripped out the majority of the equipment so they could squeeze inside, and bolted on weapons and armour wherever they felt like it. Credit where it's due, it was actually that local guy who suggested I use the AT-43 Kolossi. He was planning to use them as Mega Armour long before I arrived, I just got the modelling done first! Which, in turn, inspired him...

And it's always nice to see people rooting for teh Squats, may GW burn in mall hell for droppign them. lol

Hear, hear! :)

I've got one more character who hasn't made an appearance yet. He's my Ancestor Lord. These guys are scary: high-level psykers, but also crazy good when it comes to combat (he almost, almost won us my second game by using Gate to teleport himself into combat with a squad of Grey Knight Terminators...). I figured the Warlord was all big and ostentatious, so for the old man I'd go for something a bit different:

Partly it's that I love the model, and think it stands beautifully on its own. And partly it's because I love the idea of an old, bald man in a naval uniform going all kung-fu on everybody!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
Cracking work!!! I'm in Oz too,Goulburn......
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
Aren't they just like Terminator suits. The size suits them IMO  :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »

Yeah, they're mounted on 40mm bases. There's no doubt they look large next to the infantry, but not too large, I think:
Yeah I think you've got me as a convert.

And stunning paintingon the infinity mini - we demand more!

Offline VeronaKid

• Lurker
  • Forza Hellas
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
Absolutely stunning work. I will be watching this thread with great interest. I think you have really captured the "feel" of a 2nd edition army, too; I've always felt like many of the old GW squats didn't really fit in with the universe as it was imagined at the time (I am thinking about all the dirty, smoky John Blance images that accompanied that version of the rules); many of the squat figs looked too cute for my tastes, so I never got into them at the time.

You've changed my mind, and definitely made me long for those days again! Thanks and keep it up!
All my old friends- they don't know me now.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
Nice idea with the living ancestor... a killing machine in an un-assuming shape.

The Warlord is cool too... I am looking forward to seeing more painted soon :) .

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »
Inspiring stuff!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Minion

• Student
  • Action Scientist
    • The Idea Refinery
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Ask, Inso and dijit, and ye shall receive: pictures of my painted Ancestor Lord, finished just minutes ago.

This figure was heaps of fun to paint. I didn't take him in my last game (an epic Tyranid Attack; remind me to tell you about it!), but you can bet I'll be taking him in the game I'm playing this Friday night!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Your comments are certainly appreciated. They help keep the enthusiasm up! I haven't painted anything larger than a skirmish force in, oh, 13 years?

Cracking work!!! I'm in Oz too,Goulburn......

Silly of me to assume that the .de meant there wouldn't be any Aussies here -- we get around! :)

Absolutely stunning work. I will be watching this thread with great interest. I think you have really captured the "feel" of a 2nd edition army, too; I've always felt like many of the old GW squats didn't really fit in with the universe as it was imagined at the time (I am thinking about all the dirty, smoky John Blance images that accompanied that version of the rules); many of the squat figs looked too cute for my tastes, so I never got into them at the time.

VeronaKid, I'm right there with you. Nostalgia has made the classic Squat range look a little less silly to me, but I could still never get into the fantasy biker with guns thing they had going on. Much as I loved the idea of the army, if there weren't alternates like the Hasslefree Grymn, I would never have started the Squats. Glad I did, though!