Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:05:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just saw John Carter  (Read 22396 times)

Offline surdu

• Librarian
Re: Just saw John Carter
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
I read all the books and enjoyed the movie.  My wife and kids have not read the books, and they enjoyed the movie.  I have a few minor quibbles, and I thought the tone was a little darker than I expected.  In the end, I think the movie was a good effort to bring the books to the screen.  It was way better than the typical Hollywood hatched job.

Buck Surdu

Offline Tars Tarkas

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
My name may be a clue to this, but I loved it!  Ad did my wife and son, who haven't read and re-read the books like I have.  Like any fan, i was wary of changing the story, but I can see why most changes were made and frankly the dialogue had to be drastically improved from the originals.  When I saw the green martian incubator I knew the source material was being respected, even if the baby Tharks should have been taller.  (Stop it, stop the geeky nit-picking!  OK, I will.)
And Lynn Collins was a hot Dejah Thoris!  I only wish the critics could get over themselves and stop rooting for an epic failure, because I want sequels.  (Chessmen of Mars would be nice.)
"Virginia will fight for us!"

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
So we just saw it today, I think it was pretty good and would love to see more movies in the series and I consider getting the books or comic-books....  My wives only comment was "It was long..."...

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 10:34:15 PM »
When I saw the green martian incubator I knew the source material was being respected, even if the baby Tharks should have been taller. 

But they were so cute and cuddly!

I saw it today with some friends and we all loved it. I was thinking the same thing at the same time, but it was more like "Oh my god! It's the incubator! And the ruins, they're like the description of those houses that Carter stayed in near the beginning of Princess! And..."
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »
I still haven't seen any toys in my local stores though.  I am going to be angry at the dearth of toys. I can just feel it.
This is my boomstick!

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
Saw it with my wife, a friend and his two kids, 11 and 10 (boy and girl). Everyone had a really good time, hardly noticed it was 2.5 hours, and nobody felt ripped off. Kids loved it. Old guys loved it. Wife loved it.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 06:22:47 AM »
I still haven't seen any toys in my local stores though.  I am going to be angry at the dearth of toys. I can just feel it.
I share your pain, but I do believe Di$ney didn't. If it the movie doesn't tank completely* maybe there'll be some expensive small manufacturer resin stuff tho :?

---

*) I haven't seen JC yet but it does seem us nerdy people (most miniature gamers, for one) have generally liked it more than the critics. Unfortunately I don't think John Q. Public even at this day and age gives a rat's hindquarters about what freaks and geeks go on about on the 'net...

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
I was surprised to see under "New Releases" in the bookstore yesterday several volumes comprising the eleven original Barsoom novels under the Disney Publishing label.  So they haven't given up on *all* the tie-ins.  There were also new releases of "not authorized by the EB estate" books in the section.

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
Just got back from seeing the film, I've not read the books so can't comment on the 'accuracy' but as a movie and VSF inspiration I thought it was brilliant. CGI is excellent, fights and battles are good, didn't think it was too long either.  Lots of inspiration for terrain and other stuff too.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:53 AM »
A fun movie.
I read the books years ago.
I think they pulled some of the better parts of a few different books into a pretty neat story.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »
Saw it yesterday. I am a big fan, so I enjoyed it. Yes, the director/writer changed a lot of JC's back story (a lot!), but it still tracked okay.

What I didn't like was [SPOILER ALERT, although seen in the previews]...

...how high/far JC could jump. Even on our moon with 1/6 gravity, a man cannot jump 20 ft. into the air. Okay, let it go and accept that JC can jump a ways. But then he jumps hundreds of feet! Many times holding another person! I didn't like that at all.

Also, although Woola the dog-beast was cute, I feel this was a Disney mandate in order to appease kids.

Still, I would recommend it and would see any sequels. After all, it is John Carter of Mars.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »
45 year long fan of the books, and waited and  was  overjoyed at the result, it worked and the guy who did it had a passion for the books it showed. The  green men and characters were brilliant and there out look spot on. the red men and the  clothing  etc again wonderful and felt at home. Woola was the show stealer  amazing character for a  martian Dog. the battles were  again out of the books. The princess well she should have had a bit less on but great beautiful woman. Tars tarkus and sola perfect, and carter was John carter for me... Oh and kanto kan wonderful  and the actor spot on.

Recomended  movie for all and my greem martians and red men will be onthe table top to celibrate...

Tony

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 01:27:29 PM »
Saw it last night with chairface and another guy from our gaming group.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, good battle scenes, great Tharks all, lots of gaming and modelling ideas.  The cinema was pretty full for a movie that was spanked by the critics - what do they know anyway?  Saw it in IMAX 3D but would have been just as happy to see it 'normal', sometimes the action sequences don't translate well into 3D and give a false perspective, and me a headache!

I see demand for figures increasing so Bronze Age Miniatures, RAFM and Brigade Games better start ramping up those casting machines!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
Saw it last night with chairface and another guy from our gaming group.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, good battle scenes, great Tharks all, lots of gaming and modelling ideas.  The cinema was pretty full for a movie that was spanked by the critics - what do they know anyway?  Saw it in IMAX 3D but would have been just as happy to see it 'normal', sometimes the action sequences don't translate well into 3D and give a false perspective, and me a headache!

I see demand for figures increasing so Bronze Age Miniatures, RAFM and Brigade Games better start ramping up those casting machines!!
`

My biggest dissapointment is that Dejah Thoris spent the entire movie clothed, but it was a Disney movie after all.  ;) An excellent movie, very well done. I will be buying the dvd. There was a lot of inspiration for VSF gaming and terrain making. Tin Man miniatures has a 30% off sale on until April 1 by the way

http://tinminis.com/

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
`

My biggest dissapointment is that Dejah Thoris spent the entire movie clothed, but it was a Disney movie after all.  ;) An excellent movie, very well done. I will be buying the dvd. There was a lot of inspiration for VSF gaming and terrain making. Tin Man miniatures has a 30% off sale on until April 1 by the way

http://tinminis.com/

I see the adult section is reduced as well, allowing you to game around your disappointment.  lol

Truth be, a non-NC17 (or whatever you folks up there call it) version is about required. I was more disappointed with the Disney-ized pup, and that only mildly.

Soft in my old age...

Doug