Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just saw John Carter  (Read 22387 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Just saw John Carter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »
I certainly enjoyed it; did as well as can be expected by source, white apes not withstanding.

I didn't go all wobbly, mind you. However, I'm not concerned about how much was spent on producing it. I was satisfied with what I spent going into the theatre. Good romp all around.

I will say, had a bit of problem with the whole 'how can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...', but I think I've got that sorted out.

I shall probably go again, may even give the 3D a try.

Doug

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »
My wife and I are going next week. It is so rare that we go to the theatre, so I really look forward to this movie.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
John Carter is a great date movie.  I've told my wife several times over the years that she's my Dejah Thoris.

Now she has context to what that means.  And Lynn Collins nailed the role.  She wore too many clothes.....that's my only complaint.

I'm going to try it in 3D.  The funny part is, you realize just how much Lucas ripped ERB off for Star Wars....

Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Mr Evil

• Librarian
    • Evil Bear Wargames
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »
Was a good open ended film loved some of the designs , costumes and ideas, my Lady and I enjoyed it :) i would go see it again, i didn't feel the £d added anything to the film in fact i forgot it was 4d for much of the film, but then i see 3D as a gimmick to push the price up.

I did leave asking one question,,, where is the john carter toy range ??? be great to grab some and convert ;)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 11:51:50 PM »
I read a few places on the web that because of the lack of broad market appeal for the Pirates of the Caribbean toys Disney would only be producing limited collectibles for collectors markets.
If the movie is a box office success and sequels get a green light we may see toys in the future, who knows.

Offline ZuluPaul

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:32 AM »
Saw it today & really enjoyed it. Certainly not totally loyal to the books but a ripping good yarn. Wife liked it also. Thought they nailed the Tharks perfectly.  :)

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »
Just saw it in Imax 3-D with the wife & the boy, we all enjoyed it! Not 100% faiithful to the books but it's a fun time at the movies! 3-D was great by the way.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »
The Mrs and I watched, enjoyed it and give it thumbs up. It will be in our DVD film library when its available. Especially loved the interpetation of the Tharks.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »
I saw it yesterday with a couple of friends who had no idea about the character or the books.  They both enjoyed it.  I did as well.  Woola was certainly a favorite.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 02:18:31 AM »
Glad to hear it guys!   :D

Offline Hairy Haggis

• Schoolboy
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 03:43:26 AM »
Zachary and I went to the movies last night to see "John Carter of Mars". I have read all the books and have been following the progress of the film for some time. I've really been looking forward to this film. The movie didn't follow any story line of any of the books,but it was a rousing GREAT time!! The movie held to the flavor of the books and had a good storyline in it's own rights. I loved the movie, and I'll be wargaming their story line soon. I just need to scratch build some fliers, and finish painting up my Tharks.

As ever
Colonel Hairy Haggis

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
Damn good movie, but I like this kind of stuff. I don't know if it will make the 250 Million it needs to break even.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »
It's already pulled in 100 million domestic + internationally.  It's marketing sucked so it's up to us fans to spread the word.  That's why I started this thread.  ;)

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
I saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. There are some changes, but I can understand why they were made. Maybe now I can finish all of those Bronze Age figures that I've had lying around for far too long.....

Online FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 02:58:20 AM »
Saw it!

Nothing stuck out as grating or terribly obnoxious (there's even a little winking joke with the audience about belaboured melodramatic speeches in Dejah Thoris' first appearance), which is actually more than I can say for most modern films like this!

As some people mentioned, Kitsch's delivery was a little flat, but when I say "a little" I mean that literally: it's a terribly minor complaint and doesn't really detract from the film. And sometimes it actually kind of just works.

I barely felt any of the mid-movie drag some people mentioned; the whole movie went by quite quickly for me. Even though I have yet to read the original books I could see where elements from later books have been patched in, but it's not too jarring at all.

That mostly sounds like a list of "Complaints I could have had, but didn't", so I will also add that in addition to an overall sense of fun the fantasy/sci-fi elements were played well without being overdone. I can echo that the effects and visuals were very good without being overdone. The characters are all likeable and serviceable in their own ways. Nobody stands out (except maybe Willem DaFoe as Tars Tarkas, as some of you have also mentioned), but they all do a sound, serviceable job. And that's actually pretty respectable.

All in all the movie is actually quite decent and a lot of fun!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.