Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:07:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just saw John Carter  (Read 22402 times)

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
Re: Just saw John Carter
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
 I had read all the John Carter books when I was 12.  The Venus books came later.  I thought the movie captured the essence, the Romance, and the mystery of the Mars books that so captivated me when I was a boy. (Alright pre-pubescient teenager). It certainly had "Princess of Mars" with Tracy Lords beat.
 I hope that there is a sequel.  It just might get into gaming this once again.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
Hi  Ive just put a set of John carter comics on Ebay, if any members are interested, I will give a good discount. Just PM me. THE CID.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290685797595?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »
I finally managed to see the movie yesterday and throughly enjoyed it. There were some nice ideas for figures, just a pity the licencing fees would probably be too high to make worth while.
My only complaint was the trailer for Spiderman. I've never seen Imax before and there should have been a health warning for thoses of us with vertigo :o
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 02:25:18 AM »
Watched it tonight. I go to a movie in the theatre about once a year, if that (wife and kid out of town!)

I haven't read the books but being a fan of VSF I was somewhat aware of the story, as it crops up in various places like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Frazetta artbooks. I really enjoyed it and found myself hoping it outperforms expectations. The sky flyers and their control mechanisms are beautiful.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 06:59:33 AM »
Hi  Ive just put a set of John carter comics on Ebay, if any members are interested, I will give a good discount. Just PM me. THE CID.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290685797595?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

comics reserved.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
I'm an ERB fan, I went to cinema under a severe pessimistic expectation.
And gladly i had a good time watching it, my wife enjoyed the film even more than me.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »
Not likely to be a sequel.  Disney reports it will take a $200M bath on the project. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
John Carter was a bit of a bigot want he? He was upset that the civil war ended with the north winning.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »
I don't know if that makes him a bigot but othewise his regard for life (or rather, lack thereof) in A Princess of Mars is downright chilling at times. He's supposed to be an eternal champion of sorts (probably did influence Michael Moorcock in that regard quite a bit as well) tho so maybe that explains why he's a right bastard.

The movie has reportedly motified this and made Carter something of a reluctant warrior. Although it's not source-faithfull, it'll make the movie quite a bit more palatable for me, I freely admit.

---

Oh, and in support of Doomsdave:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17442200
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:10:41 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 09:10:16 PM »
John Carter was a bit of a bigot want he? He was upset that the civil war ended with the north winning.

Trying to avoid politics, not every Southerner was pro-slavery.  Many men from New England fought for the Confederacy because of a belief in State's Rights.  Just as many Southerners fought for the Union in the name of the "inseparable union" but were not anti-slavery.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Amazing-Civil-War-Little-Known/dp/1567313043/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332363814&sr=1-1

Who wouldn't be unhappy "their side lost" in a war?  The French in 1870?  The North Koreans in 1950's?  Oh wait, they think they won... Germans in WW2?   The Carthaginians? Austria-Hungary after WW1? 

Be serious, ERB was not pro-slavery and I don't remember John Carter being particularly any more a bigot than any other American (or Brit, or Frenchman, or Belgian) of his time.

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »
I don't know if that makes him a bigot but othewise his regard for life (or rather, lack thereof) in A Princess of Mars is downright chilling at times. He's supposed to be an eternal champion of sorts (probably did influence Michael Moorcock in that regard quite a bit as well) tho so maybe that explains why he's a right bastard.

<snip>

The approach to warfare in the 19th Century was far more "pragmatic" (cold-blooded to some) in European and American cultures then currently.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
In the case of the book Carter, his "pragmatism" extends to saying more than once how he would willingly kill every Martian to protect Dejah Thoris. That sort of hyperbole sounds more like a psychotic mania than a pragmatic view to warfare.

Be serious, ERB was not pro-slavery and I don't remember John Carter being particularly any more a bigot than any other American (or Brit, or Frenchman, or Belgian) of his time
The only reference to real world slavery in APOM is something along the lines of "house negroes adored Carter" so one can assume he was probably not very cruel to them at the very least. But other than that, it's all speculation really (except if some mention is made in the latter books of course, have no precise recollection of them).

ERB probably wasn't unusually racist for his time although his books do feature a large number of rather degenerate natives (cannibals in Africa and the like).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:54:12 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
In the case of the book Carter, his "pragmatism" extends to saying more than once how he would willingly kill every Martian to protect Dejah Thoris. That sort of hyperbole sounds more like a psychotic mania than a pragmatic view to warfare.
<snip>

lol "Love Sick irrationally - on steroids" - I believe that to be a fascination/"love"  ::)  reaction of the young/first time in an emotional commitment myself.  IIRC, and I may be wrong, wasn't this the first time John Carter was swept off his feet?  I got the impression he had little experience in matters of the heart {or gonads if you are cynical.} :o

Personally and unemotionally - I'd not hesitate to kill anyone or any creature that I felt was a valid threat to the safety of my wife or children or even nation but that may be an indication why I ended up in the job I am in currently.   :o  I only see John Carter differing in expressions for that era... perhaps being unsophisticated in matters between the sexes is a factor in his statements.  Or perhaps we read too much into such comments from our 21st century viewpoint...  ;D

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
I loved it.
Saw it twice already...
 :-* :-* :-*
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2012, 12:53:36 AM »
I loved it.
Saw it twice already...
 :-* :-* :-*

I'm going to go see it again this weekend.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games