Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another Mud & Blood outing with Reds & Whites  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Another Mud & Blood outing with Reds & Whites
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:48 AM »
I ran a great Russian Civil War outing today using the TFL Through the Mud & the Blood rules; three of the four players had never used the rules before (ideal test material) and we had a lot of bystanders (an unusually busy day at our local gaming club, although mostly it was a socializing day, we ran the only game...).

The basic scenario had a disorganized Red force holding the outskirts of a village somewhere in Russia against a White force that was only slightly larger but much, much better led; it ended with the Whites in control of the village and the Reds almost entirely fled or dead.

The Cossacks Storm the Village by WireLizard, on Flickr

The photo is from one of the high points of the game, where the White players used their Heroic Leader card card to get an entire plaston of White Cossack infantry (foreground) charging down the open slope into the woods right before the Red-held village. The Reds holding the village had already started withdrawing from the stone wall just on the other side of the small wooded area, unable to face the fire from three sections of Cossacks, although just at the top left you can see a Red rifle section that held that hilltop right until the end of the game, aided by a junior officer we dubbed "Commisar Squirrel-Fondler" early in the game. (one player decided that has squirrels were known to horde nuts, and hording was behaviour decried by the Bolsheviks, this particular Big Man had a hate on for squirrels and shot at them at every opportunity. So we took to referring to that character as "Squirrel fondler" or "squirrel molester" at every opportunity... a quick pass through Google Translate suggests the Russian for this is something like "khuligan belok" (molester of squirrels) - could a brave Russian speaker confirm this? I sense a character name in the making...)

Anyway, it was a great game, nice to get my Russian church, the hedges and the horde of newly-painted RCW figures all out on the table!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:36:51 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
Re: Another Mud & Blood outing with Reds & Whites
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:27:12 AM »
Looks like a fun game. 
Chris Stoesen

Online Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
Some fine looking figures you have there.
Nothing like a good game played.
To get you into painting more figures,
for the next game.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
Great looking game!
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »
Great looking game!

Thanks! The RCW terrain is slowly coming together; we found a boxful of mixed trees leftover from the model railroad we used to have, so the suitable trees are slowly being converted into tabletop pieces. The hedges and Russian rural buildings are all new. I've got a huge amount of tropical/jungle/pulp terrain, but temperate stuff suitable for the Russian Civil War is finally coming together.

The figures are also finally coming together in large enough numbers to have a proper game with, including enough for some options, reinforcements and such. After a few years as a pulp skirmish player, where a dozen figures was a huge force, painting in platoon lots again is a bit of a change!

There's another two larger houses in progress right now, photos sometime this weekend - along with step-by-step photos of how I do thatching from towels.

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:03:53 AM »
Truly fantastic looking game, miniatures, and board! This is great inspiration for my own gaming groups escapades into the period.

I do have one question though regarding your White Cossacks from Brigade Miniatures. Did you touch up the papakhi with greenstuff/putty to make them more 'Cossack-looking' or did you simply paint the inner parts of the cap the same shade as the fur?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 02:32:15 AM »
I do have one question though regarding your White Cossacks from Brigade Miniatures. Did you touch up the papakhi with greenstuff/putty to make them more 'Cossack-looking' or did you simply paint the inner parts of the cap the same shade as the fur?

I filled in the furry sides of the hat, as you spotted, with a touch of milliput stippled to match the texture of the fur. Still slightly too tall to be the classic round fur hat, but close enough. I also (so far) left the front vertical fabric stripe unpainted so it blends into the fur from tabletop distances; that might eventually get a touch of putty to cover it but I have too much stuff to finish before the end of March to fuss them them further now!