Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Long List of Questions...  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Tenebris

• Student
Long List of Questions...
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »
Haven't had a game yet...   but have the rules & the 2 supplements, and have enjoyed several solid read throughs...  Looks good btw..

A long list of questions & comments follow...  (in no particular order, and hoping I haven't over looked too many obvious answers... )

1)  Rotating Turret Rule:  (main rules, pg. 23) Under the Turret Hit effect, there is mention of an Optional Rotating Turret  Rule, however this doesn’t seem to exist.

2)  British Auxiliaries: (colonial book)  There seems to be no mention of the range of Qualities for British Auxiliary troops.  (Native Auxiliaries are mentioned, are they the same ? sorry, this isn’t a historical period I’m fully familiar enough with).

3)  Extended Coherency: (colonial book)  Coherency is mentioned as 2” (i presume this is a typo).

4)  Vehicle Braking:  (SCW book, pg. 6)  There is mention at the very bottom of the page, of “see diagram at the right”, however there is no diagram...

5)  Track Hit: (main rules, pg. 23) there is no description of the effect of a Track Hit – or is this the same effect as a Tire Hit ?

6)  Lances: (colonial book, pg.21)  It is mentioned that Lancers additionally carry Lances, however there are no rules for their use, nor points cost.

7)  Bladed:  In the Colonial book, some weapons have the tag “Bladed”, but it isn’t explained.

8}  Spears:  in the main rules they have a range of 3”, in the colonial book it is 5”.  Or is this “normal” Spear range of 3”, while proper Throwing Spears are 5” ?  Also, Spears in the main book cost 2 pts each, while in the Colonial book, a unit’s worth cost 15.

9)  Muskets:  In the main rules, Muskets are:  15”/20”/25” -1.  In the Colonial book, muskets are:  10”/15”/20” -1.  

10)  HMGs:  There is a -1 penetration modifier for HMGs rolling against armoured penetration (main rules, pg. 23).  Shouldn’t this be +1 instead ?  (i.e. while HMGs are good vs. soft skinned vehicles,  they aren’t the best vs. armoured vehicles ?)  Otherwise, HMGs are as effective against armour penetration as light artillery.

11)  Rockets:  (colonial book)  Do these use the 4” template, and what is their points costs ?

12)  Melee:  There seem to be no rules for men to close combat against Vehicles (soft-skinned nor armoured).  Nor the reverse, Vehicles against men (aka, overrun attacks, running down, etc).  Nor Vehicles vs. Vehicles (aka ramming, etc).  While the last 2 situations are rare, their is certainly potential for men without firearms or grenades, to find themselves facing a vehicle.

13)  Pikes/Long Spears:  Any thoughts of how these might be reflected in the rules ?

14)  Bayonets:  Bayonets are no different than a sword.  As well, fixing bayonets seems to be free & automatic.

15)  Traits:  While there are points costs for traits like Guards (+1ea), and Ferocious (+1ea)[SCW Moros], the other traits do not have points costs.  Might there be some suggested values, for imaginative players, to design their own troops with ?  Although, it would seem, on close inspection, that they have an insignificant cost perhaps?  Advanced Deployment, Aggressive, Bad Shots, Brave, Densely Packed Troops, Expert Marksmen, Extended Coherency, Faith, Fanatics, Fatalists, Formations, Hidden Foe, High Mobility, Nimble, Stout, Volley Fire.

16)  Shooting Range Modifiers:  (main rules, pg. 18)  Generally ranged weapons have +1/0/-1 range band modifiers (not all, but its the trend).  However on pg.12, the ranged combat modifier’s chart has a shooting modifier of +1/0/-1 for range bands.  Are these cumulative, or does the line in the shooting modifiers chart just a general example of the effect ?  Example:  Rifles are 0/0/-1.  The chart lists +1/0/-1.   Are Rifles therefore 0/0/-1, or +1/0/-2 ?

17)  Unit Cards:  When out of unit cards, the other player merrily continues through his deck.  Is there an option to allow a “pass”, and allow the outnumbered player to be able to use his cards later in the turn ?  Or is this merely the simplest solution to having players with different number of unit cards.  Or perhaps the advantage of taking more units than your opponent.

18)  Mounted Infantry:  (colonial book) While similar to cavalry in all respect except for not gaining the +1 in melee advantage, do they cost the same ? (+5 points)

19)  Irregulars/Volunteers: (colonial book)  Can they use Volley Fire ?

Thanks in Advance...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Long List of Questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
I'll let Driscoles answer the Colonial questions, as he wrote the respective book.

1)  Rotating Turret Rule:  (main rules, pg. 23) Under the Turret Hit effect, there is mention of an Optional Rotating Turret  Rule, however this doesn’t seem to exist.

Huh, indeed.  ??? The idea is as follows: If you have a model with a turret that is physically (i.e. on the very model) able to rotate, you should point the gun at the target you wish to fire and leave it in this position until you next activate the unit. If it receives a "turret jam" result before the next activation, the turret locks in that position. The rule was rated "optional" as not all players have models with turrets that can actually turn.

4)  Vehicle Braking:  (SCW book, pg. 6)  There is mention at the very bottom of the page, of “see diagram at the right”, however there is no diagram...

Yup, that one slipped by. Basically, you should roll a D6: 1-2, turn 45° to the left, 3-4, straight ahead, 5-6 45° turn to the right.

5)  Track Hit: (main rules, pg. 23) there is no description of the effect of a Track Hit – or is this the same effect as a Tire Hit ?

It doesn't say so specifically, but yes, it is the "Tire Hit" for tracked vehicles, unless the hit is caused by small arms as listed under note 3 on the same page, in which case it is ignored.

10)  HMGs:  There is a -1 penetration modifier for HMGs rolling against armoured penetration (main rules, pg. 23).  Shouldn’t this be +1 instead ?  (i.e. while HMGs are good vs. soft skinned vehicles,  they aren’t the best vs. armoured vehicles ?)  Otherwise, HMGs are as effective against armour penetration as light artillery.

Essentially, the vehicle damage roll is performed by the vehicle's owning player, just the same as with damage rolls for individual figures. This means that the higher the result, the better for the player. The -1 modifier serves to represent the increased penetrating power HMGs had against early armoured vehicles, whose armour was sufficient to stop rifle rounds at medium to longer ranges, but heavy machine guns less so. The rules primarily focus on early 20th-century vehicles, and those were not as bullet-proof as later models (which are represented by the "modern vehicle" rule from the Spanish Civil War book).

That said, there is nothing to stop you, if you feel heavy tanks should be safe from HMG to designate them as "Heavily Armoured" (the same revised "small arms" rule as for modern vehicles, found in the SCW book on p. 7, IIRC). As for the light artillery, those would not have specific AT rounds (yet) and would fire high explosive or shrapnel, which would have similar effects unless scoring direct hits. Thus, they are treated the same as HMGs. Field guns subtract -2, as their shells are supposed to be heavier (and they were used in the end phase of WW1 to take out enemy tanks).

12)  Melee:  There seem to be no rules for men to close combat against Vehicles (soft-skinned nor armoured).  Nor the reverse, Vehicles against men (aka, overrun attacks, running down, etc).  Nor Vehicles vs. Vehicles (aka ramming, etc).  While the last 2 situations are rare, their is certainly potential for men without firearms or grenades, to find themselves facing a vehicle.

Certainly. The issue is, we never encountered this situation ourselves and may therefore have overlooked the possibility - in essentially all our test games, infantry were either shot to pieces or fled before they could make contact with vehicles, and all anti-vehicle attacks were by shooting. I see the need now that you point it out.

I would suggest the following: if the attackers move into melee range with the vehicle and have any weapon that could reasonably be used (e.g. anything against open-topped vehicles, crowbars and the likes against enclosed ones), they may roll attacks if the vehicle moved at speed level 1 or was stationary.

13)  Pikes/Long Spears:  Any thoughts of how these might be reflected in the rules ?

I would suggest either an initiative bonus or allowing figures to fight in melee even if beyond the normal melee range.

14)  Bayonets:  Bayonets are no different than a sword.  As well, fixing bayonets seems to be free & automatic.

Essentially, yes to the first one. As per the second, you have to pay for the bayonets (e.g. points if using those). The actual fixing we assumed to happen before the battle if ordered so, and since modern (mid-18th century and later) bayonets allow firing the gun even if fixed, there is no point in forcing players to add them in-game and complicate things further.

16)  Shooting Range Modifiers:  (main rules, pg. 18)  Generally ranged weapons have +1/0/-1 range band modifiers (not all, but its the trend).  However on pg.12, the ranged combat modifier’s chart has a shooting modifier of +1/0/-1 for range bands.  Are these cumulative, or does the line in the shooting modifiers chart just a general example of the effect ?  Example:  Rifles are 0/0/-1.  The chart lists +1/0/-1.   Are Rifles therefore 0/0/-1, or +1/0/-2 ?

That is an oversight (the original one was left over). Any specifically stated stat-line for a weapon overrides and replaces the original modifiers.

17)  Unit Cards:  When out of unit cards, the other player merrily continues through his deck.  Is there an option to allow a “pass”, and allow the outnumbered player to be able to use his cards later in the turn ?  Or is this merely the simplest solution to having players with different number of unit cards.  Or perhaps the advantage of taking more units than your opponent.

If you have more tactical units than your opponent, those get to act more freely. You could house-rule this as you describe, but under normal circumstances, both players should roughly have the same number of tactical units, and one extra activation shouldn't work out to adversely. If you could describe a truly problematic instance of this effect, I would be happy to go into detail.

I hope that clears up things. A lot of these issues have already been earmarked for a revised third printing, but this is still a future thing - I would look into providing a new errata/FAQ sheet, though, to tide players over if necessary. I should state, however, that the rules were designed as open-ended for the players. Please do not confuse this for lazyness on the part of the designers, but we assumed our core audience to house-rule smaller issues among themselves; that said, some of the issues you brought up are perfectly valid and will be treated in due time.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:56:36 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »
We need a bigger boat  ;)

Ok, thanks for the questions and thanks to Chris that you did most of the work already. Good that I am late  ;)

British Auxiliaries: please see page 33 volunteers and irregulars.

Extended Coherency. No it is no typo. Sentence says : "may place their constituting models 5" apart rather than the usual 2"  !!! So it is 5"

Lances : Please use points for Spears ( 2 pts ) The basic rules give a + 1 for cavalry modifier and a +1 for Lance ( Spear ) so the average trooper hits on a 5 which is 50 % on a die 10 ...What you can do as a house rule is ignore the defensive modifiers some natives get for shields. This simulates the lance attack probably a bit better.

Bladed : No special rule or so... HtH weapons usually get a +1 modifier I cant recall why I wrote bladed maybe to make it more clear

Spears : They are meant as throwing Spears in the colonial supplement. Usually most weapons are for free for the native side but because the throwing spears are a special feature they cost 15 pts for the whole unit. So, if you have a unit with spears you get the spears for free and when you want to equip them with TS you pay 15 pts for the whole unit extra.

Muskets : This is official : In the Colonial book, muskets are:  10”/15”/20” -1.

Rockets : Yes ! The points again, Sorry for that...we are simply "without points gamers and we tend to forget the point rating. I would suggest 50 points for the rocket.

Melee  against vehicles. There is something in work already.

Pikes : Increase the weapon range, increase the initiative, give an advantage when both units act at the same time. When long spears are charged  ignore the extra charge die the attacker usually gets.

Traits : Most of the traits are for native players it is intended that native forces pay as little as possible for their force.

Mounted Infantry : cost the same

volley fire for native and irregualrs : If you rate them as trained troops for a darkest africa game ( for example a Askari Unit ) why not. If you want to use native units for your Zulu games then not.

Thank you and welcome to the Forum Tenebris and thanks for  the homework you gave us  ;)

We need the players help to improve the game. So if you have more questions please come back. Actually T&T is a very easy game. Once you get familiar with the rules you can create own rules ( please let us know ) or you can handle situations that are not properly explained.

Cheers
Björn

, ,

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »

Bladed : No special rule or so... HtH weapons usually get a +1 modifier I cant recall why I wrote bladed maybe to make it more clear

There is the "fencer" special abilitie for heros. they get a +1 in melee using a "bladed" weapon, right?

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »
yep, youre right. Thank you  :)

Offline Tenebris

• Student
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:48:15 AM »
Thank you !

Offline Tenebris

• Student
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
one more question:

20)  Grenade Launchers, do these have a points cost ? and presumably you must buy the grenades to fire as well.

And a few comments:

My main interest is late Victorian/Edwardian VSF - hence the questions were mainly to assist me in building diverse pseudo-historical scifi units.  (btw an "official" VSF book would be a sure buy for me).

Are they any unofficial House Rules that get commonly recommended ?
I rather liked the Vehicle Design rules I saw, as well as the rules for Bicycles, Pioneers and Mules (and yes, even the roller skates!)
I thought i saw rules for satchel charges somewhere, but I can't seem to locate them again...

One thing I was looking at adding (once i have some experience with the rules), are what I've been toying with calling "demi-heros".  Characters like Heroes, but similar to the colonial "Amir", with reduced capabilities and only 2 hits.  VSF is colourful period with lots of opportunities for characters of all types to show up.

Looking forward to my first game this week !

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »
Hello Tenebris,

20. Grenade Launcher. I guess you dont mean a mortar. I can not recall we have a grenade launcher covered by the rules but we have rules for rifle grenades and they are treated as hand grenades. You have to purchase them. Please check rules in the basic rule book.

:) An "official" Vistorian SciFi rule book is a great idea. Unfortunately Iam very busy at the moment and I can not write one and I have some other things in the tube. But it would be great if you could share your experience here in the forum or maybe collect and write your own rules and forward them to  the download section. That would be great Sir !

What I have done lately was to treat Leaders as characters. They were allowed to leave the unit with an own leader unit card.

Satchel charge : A suggestion. Make a scorecheck before you charge a tank or armoured vehicle. Veteran and Elite units may get a bonus of +1. If successful make another scorecheck if you can place the charge at a vital spot. If succesful get a - 2 on the damage table if not only a -1

Please keep in mind for your first game that Heroes can be very powerful, especially when the dice are on your side. This is intended for more adventurous games like VSciFi. If you want to play more historical games do not use Heroes or give them two wounds for example.

I am really looking forward to your first game. Please share your experience.

Best regards
Björn

Offline Tenebris

• Student
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »
Had 2 small games so far, enjoyed them both.  The activation system makes for some very interesting decisions, and is a real gem of a game mechanism, hands down beats a typical IgoUgo game )without being the least bit complicated!  well done!).  Btw, our heroes basically did nothing either game, but next time, we'll have to see what they can do.

But of course, more questions arouse....

ACTIVATION:
21)  Am I doing this right:  Both players activate units, one wants to Charge the other, the other wants to Shoot.  If the Charging unit has the Initiative, do they get into contact (assuming they move that far) without the defender being allowed to fire at all ?  (and if so, the defender loses their action altogether then?)
Conversely, if the Shooting unit has the Initiative, it shoots before the Charger moves any closer, and as well, suffers the “Target is Charging the Shooter” -2 to hit modifier.  Is this the only time that this modified is applied?
Or have I over looked the entire “simultaneous” aspect ?

SHOOTING:
22)  Re: Fast Moved this Turn, -2 to hit:  If a unit Fast Moved last turn, but hasn’t been activated this turn, is it still considered to be Fast Moving until it activates ? (or does the end of the turn, arbitrarily end all Fast moving statuses).

23)  Rifles (& Muskets) lack a Short range to hit bonus -  this is quite a disadvantage vs. other weapons like Carbines.

24)  I don’t believe its mentioned anywhere, but if you need to roll an 11 (or more) to hit on a D10 to hit, is it an automatic Miss, or are 10’s automatic Successes ?

25)  Volley Fire is very impressive!  (we oops’d and used them in a european vs. european game, it wasn’t pretty, ha-ha)

26)  Is the Priority Test rolled on 2d6 or d10 ?

27)  For mere Soldiers, a “Wound” result is treated as “Kill”, which I assume also incurs the 1 Suppression (i.e. a Wounded results becomes a Dead +1 Suppression).  Having Wounded as a combat results for Soldiers seems to be moot.

CLOSE COMBAT
28)  The extra die for Charging, who gets it ?

29)  Close Combat Results:  If Tied at 0, who decides if they wish to Retreat or Continue ?  If both do, who decides first??

BUILDINGS
30)  How does a unit Enter a Building ?
31)  How does a unit Shoot out of buildings? (just at windows & doors?)
32)  Buildings in Melee ?  (defender inside, attacker outside) (is this just treated as an intervening obstacle?)

COHERENCY
33)  Being Out of Coherency, can a unit use a Fast Move to close up ? (or just a Move)

SUPPRESSION
34)  If a unit has more than 1 Suppression than figure, and is not Pinned, is the -1 penalty cumulative ?  And if so, does it wrap around ??  (i.e. if a unit of 5 figures is not Pinned, and has 10 Suppression Markers on it, does each figure suffer a -2 for Shooting & close Combat, or just a -1 ? )

ACTIVATION:
35)  It can be frustrating if you are the superior unit, and are forced to move first due to Initiative – but moving first yields an advantage to the enemy inferior unit.  I.e. sometimes moving second has an advantage over moving First.  Might be nice if the higher Initiative unit got to choose to move 1st or 2nd ?

MOVING
36)  Any limitations on moving through friendly units ?  (i.e. 2 infantry units intermingling)

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

21)  Am I doing this right:  Both players activate units, one wants to Charge the other, the other wants to Shoot.  If the Charging unit has the Initiative, do they get into contact (assuming they move that far) without the defender being allowed to fire at all ?  (and if so, the defender loses their action altogether then?)
Conversely, if the Shooting unit has the Initiative, it shoots before the Charger moves any closer, and as well, suffers the “Target is Charging the Shooter” -2 to hit modifier.  Is this the only time that this modified is applied?
Or have I over looked the entire “simultaneous” aspect ?

24)  I don’t believe its mentioned anywhere, but if you need to roll an 11 (or more) to hit on a D10 to hit, is it an automatic Miss, or are 10’s automatic Successes ?

27)  For mere Soldiers, a “Wound” result is treated as “Kill”, which I assume also incurs the 1 Suppression (i.e. a Wounded results becomes a Dead +1 Suppression).  Having Wounded as a combat results for Soldiers seems to be moot.

CLOSE COMBAT
28)  The extra die for Charging, who gets it ?

SUPPRESSION
34)  If a unit has more than 1 Suppression than figure, and is not Pinned, is the -1 penalty cumulative ?  And if so, does it wrap around ??  (i.e. if a unit of 5 figures is not Pinned, and has 10 Suppression Markers on it, does each figure suffer a -2 for Shooting & close Combat, or just a -1 ? )

ACTIVATION:
35)  It can be frustrating if you are the superior unit, and are forced to move first due to Initiative – but moving first yields an advantage to the enemy inferior unit.  I.e. sometimes moving second has an advantage over moving First.  Might be nice if the higher Initiative unit got to choose to move 1st or 2nd ?

21) I think you are right.

24) No automatic success for 10s. If you need to score an 11 and have the expert marksmen skill, you will also score a hit with a 10, but not if you need 12s ore more.

27) If you get a wounded result you dont get suppression markes. You can read it on page 16.

28) A standard soldier of the unit. Not the hero or leader figures.

34) I don't think so.

35) Totally agree. We use it as a house rule.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »
Hi,

thanks you enjoyed your first games. I was fearing the worse  ;)

The Initiative  is really the core of the game. I think it is a challenge and it makes the game very exciting. I am glad you like it.

21. Yes you do it right.
If the shooter moves first he has to modify by -2
Same with shooter shoots at a unit that is not attacking him but moves fast in his los and he wants to shoot at them. The shooter has to modify by -2

22 A fast move ends at the end of the turn. A turn ends when all units have completed their actions. 

23. yes, I know but I found it harder to hit moving things on short range with a rifle than shooting with other weapons. So this is my own experience. if you feel unhappy with this modifier simply change it.

24. A ten is not always a hit. I dont like the always a hit rule in other games so I didnt want it in our rules. People will always roll the dice even if shooting makes no sense at all.

But...the colonial supplement contains a special skill or trait that some skilled shooter can score a hit on a ten even if it is calculated 11.

26. What do you mean with priority test ????
Usually all combat is done with d10, wounding is rolled with a single d6 all other tests ( incl. morale ) are done with 2d6.
To decide who goes first when both players cant agree  is done by a d6 when all other comparisons fail.

27. You never get SM for wounded results

28. The charging unit receives one die extra. Example : Six soldiers charge. They can attack with 7 dice. The extra die is calculated on the average soldier of the unit.

29. Please give an example. Isnt it indifferent if both want to withdrawl ?
If you can not agree check the shape of the unit. Usually the units have suppression markers or are better led. The more battered unit will withdraw first.
Else roll a d6

BUILDINGS
30)  How does a unit Enter a Building ?
31)  How does a unit Shoot out of buildings? (just at windows & doors?)
32)  Buildings in Melee ?  (defender inside, attacker outside) (is this just treated as an intervening obstacle?)

I am not sure but I think we discussed Building in the forum. There will be definitly more detailed rules for building soon.

A unit stops at obstacles. if the door is closed the unit can not enter the building in the same  round.

Enter building through doors or windows. Keep it simple. if a single figure reaches the door or window let the unit enter. If you think that makes no sense. Measure for each figure. but this takes ages. i like the rule from the Iron ivan  guys they wrote...the little toy soldiers are smart. They will all enter the building immediately  ;)

They shoot out of windows, doors and cracks in the walls. Let all soldiers fire who face a designated direction

close combat at doors or windows is a bit complicated. First agree on how many figures can fight. Use the appropriate modifiers. If a unit looses and fails the morale test it should not be destroyed because that makes no sense. ( See also the tight confine rule in the basic rule book )The looser should escape.
If the defender of the entrance looses, the attacking unit may enter and the fight continues inside the building. But in case the defender decides to withdraw he will escape the building.

33. Move order. See page 5 in the rule book.

34. Nope, the modifiers do not pile up. The unit will shoot with a -1 modifier if all models have one or more sm.

35. This question sometimes appears. I dont think that being the first is a disadvantage. We did so many games using this rule and never reached the conclusion that being first makes no sense. If you dont want to move first play a recover action.

You usually lead a number of units and you calculate your activation for every unit and if you want your best unit act last you put it in the cellar of your turnpile.

Maybe you can give me an example why it is bad to move first.

I´ll give you some examples when its good to move first.

a. you are in the sight of the enemy and he wants to shoot at you.
- you can move into cover
- you can move out of los
- you can fast move into cover ( which makes an even harder target to hit )
b. you can always shoot first before the enemy can react.
- before he charges you
- before he escapes you
c. you can escape a charge or you can charge yourself.
d. you can recover before you get even more suppression markers and with luck you can activate a fresh unit in the next turn.

We have tested several versions of Hold Actions and were not convinced with the results. But I see no problem if you use a house rule.  Please share your experience and I dont see why we should offer it as an optional rule for the players.

36.) No

Once again...Thanks for your input. Your feedback helps us a lot to make a new errata and rules clarification sheet and reminds me what we forgot.

Also thanks to Turbo Ben.

Best regards
Björn

Offline Tenebris

• Student
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
21.  Re:   “Target is Charging the Shooter -2 to hit”.  Same with shooter shoots at a unit that is not attacking him but moves fast in his los and he wants to shoot at them. The shooter has to modify by -2
   That’s the “Target Fast Moved -1 to hit” modifier, right ?
   Is there a way to shoot at a unit that moves in & out of your Line Of Sight is there ?  (i.e. a unit moves from behind cover, into the open, and into different cover, being visible only for part of their own move, but not at the beginning or end).  Probably not.

23.  Yes, I think we will house rule, that Muskets and Rifles get a +1 at Short range.   [everything else gets a bonus to hit at short range btw]. 

26)  Target Priority test (main rules, pg. 12), trained & veteran units can take a priority test if they wish to fire at a unit that isn’t the closest to them.  It says a “Score test”, however its not clear if this is d10 or 2d6...

27)  Ah, missed the single hit figures suffer a “flesh wound” and live to fight another day blurb. ! 

29)  In a 0:0 “Tied” Close Combat, one side wishes to Retreat, while the other side wishes to Continue.  (if they both wish to retreat, or both wish to continue its no contest, and straight forward to carry out).  How is it decided who’s choice is carried out ?

30-32)  Off topic:  I rather enjoyed most of Iron Ivan’s Disposable Heroes rules, but I found the IgoUgo turn sequence boring, and the predictable movement distance far too chess-like for my chaotic battlefield tastes...  {T&T clearly has neither of these issues for me!]

35)  This has come up once in game so far.  A superior initiative unit has Shoot orders, an inferior unit out of Line of Sight has Move orders.  The Superior unit goes first, the inferior moves second.  Had the order been reversed, the superior unit could have fired at the inferior unit.  By no means a big issue, just that one little bit “too fast for your own good” I guess – simply should have been lower in the deck...
   Boy, stacking your Unit Deck is a bit  >:( nerve wracking at times!  Love it !   

New Ones

37)  Airplanes.  WHEN can you shoot at airplanes ?  You’d have to be very lucky to get a unit with Shoot orders on the same action as the enemy Aircraft activates...  Or can you shoot at the plane, when its first placed on the table edge at the top of the turn ?
    Also, can an airplane activate every turn ? (until out of ammo or shot down that is... )

38)  Close Combat. In a game, we had a unit charge another unit, but could only reach 1 defending figure with 2 of the chargers.  (the defending figure was in coherency, so the stragglers rule didn’t apply; and as the Chargers won, the tight confines rule didn’t apply).  The chargers won the close combat (the defender was killed, neither charger was hurt), and the defenders failed their Morale Check, and were eliminated.  We were stunned (as this was our first test of close combat), but it seemed very “unsatisfying” - as the losing unit didn’t have any Suppression markers, and was superior in Quality. 
   Someone later suggested a house rule, to allow both sides to ‘pile in’ (ala the “continue fighting’ result, un-engaged figures can move up to 6”) at first contact, thereby allowing both units a decent chance at putting up a good fight.  Any thoughts ?

Next game is Vehicles & Guns...  so more praise & questions to follow I’m sure...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »
26. Now I know. Thank you. It is 2d6
27. We sometimes play campaign games with small expeditions down the nile or so... Than this "wound rule" is helpful
29. The better unit decides. If both have the same quality check for leaders or Heroes in the unit and Suppression marker. If the same - roll a d6
35.  good  :)
37. I come back for airplanes. Chris is the aviation expert
38. It is really not satisfying when this happens. Especially in the first game. I understand. Please let me explain what we had in mind, when we created this rule. The loosing unit is not necessarily dead. Sometimes it just happens that even better troops run away or surrender. When they are outnumbered, when they see a leader fall or they are tired of fighting and are overwhelmed by the sheer ferocity of the attackers charge. However, the best team not always wins the game. What you can do is to modify the morale check for the loosing unit. Something like
+ 1 for superior quality
+ 1 for outnumbering

something like that

But believe me, this does not happen very often but I understand that it sucks when it happens.

Cheers
Björn

Offline Tenebris

• Student
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 04:23:33 PM »
Would still like to hear back on this one:

37)  Airplanes.  WHEN can you shoot at airplanes ?  You’d have to be very lucky to get a unit with Shoot orders on the same action as the enemy Aircraft activates...  Or can you shoot at the plane, when its first placed on the table edge at the top of the turn ?
    Also, can an airplane activate every turn ? (until out of ammo or shot down that is... )

Offline Tenebris

• Student
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
39)  Vehicle Turning:  As I see no mention of it in any of the rules, its presumed that vehicles are unrestricted when it comes to turning ?  (i.e. there is no "turning radius", no minimum movement distances between turns, unlimited degrees turned, etc).  This makes vehicles quite manoeuvrable indeed - and in fact partially negates some of the "drama" caused by being forced to move the vehicle's minimum distance based on its Speed.

40)  Continued Close Combats: Does the 'moving in' of un-engaged figures (during the 2nd+ round of a continued close combat)  count as a Charge?  Do they gain the additional Charge attack die ?  And does this trigger the Charge vs Pinned unit rule ?  (and if not, just what is the effect of becoming Pinned during Close Combat ?)

41)  Morale Checks Scores:    Is this correct: to pass a Morale Check you take the unit's Score value (Raw 8+, Trained 7+, Veteran 7+, Elite 6+), and add the unit's Morale Modifier (Raw -1, Trained +0, Veteran +1, Elite +1), plus any other modifiers (leader or hero, flag, etc).  For a base Morale test value of Raw 9+, Trained 7+, Veteran 6+, Elite 5+ ?

42)  Vehicle Damage Modifiers:  On the Vehicle Damage Table, what weapons receive a +0 on the Vehicle Damage Table?  Seems that every weapon that uses this table has a modifier (-1, +1, etc, but nothing that's +0).