Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690980
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Broken Buddhas (Dr.Mathias) vs. Casualty of War (Gnomehome)

Broken Buddhas (Dr.Mathias)
444 (93.3%)
Casualty of War (Gnomehome)
32 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 470

Voting closed: March 25, 2012, 12:16:18 PM

Author Topic: Round 3 - Broken Buddhas vs. Casualty of War  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Round 3 - Broken Buddhas vs. Casualty of War
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 11:48:35 PM »
The miniatures are indeed Kingsford. They're my favorite samurai figures with one or two individual exceptions from Clan War.

The heads are cast in plaster from a resin sculpture I picked up in NYC last summer. It has a face with a different emotion on each side, honestly I'm not sure what the iconography means. After casting a few up and filing off three of the faces on each, I had the plaster heads sandblasted so they would have an eroded texture. I wanted the one the monk is standing on to have a 'presence', like he was looking up at him so I'm happy to have pulled that off :)

I almost didn't have them done in time for the entry deadline- I had a hard time finding someone to do it. I took them to one auto place, and the guy wouldn't do it 'because they look like they have something to do with false worship'.

Me, being me, said 'Well, they are Buddha heads... I wouldn't exactly call it false worship though, after all I'm sandblasting them... its probably more accurate to say it's disrespecting them.'

He stated that his conscience wouldn't let him do it for me, but he would rent the of the use of the sandblaster so that I could do it myself. How about that? Am I wrong to find it odd that his conscience would allow rental? Bizarre.

Anyway, thanks for the comments! 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline jimweaver

• Student
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 02:20:11 AM »
That is a bizarre story!  Possibly the weirdest miniature story I've ever heard, and this includes my own feat of almost putting my eye out snipping an arrow head off of a plastic arrow for a conversion.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:32 AM »
That is a weird story, Dr Mathias, but after living in Kansas for the last five years, I've run into similar weirdness at times. Which is not to say that Ireland (where I'm from) didn't have its own share of weird. Where are you based? I'm in Winfield, about an hour south of Wichita (which is where I go to game).
I'm happy that he rented the sandblaster to you, though, because those heads look fantastic!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »
What a story!
Superbly done
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:59 AM »
Both great entries :) Love your clean painting Doc,smashing!!!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Me, being me, said 'Well, they are Buddha heads... I wouldn't exactly call it false worship though, after all I'm sandblasting them... its probably more accurate to say it's disrespecting them.'

With that outcome of votes I am not so sure if ancient Buddha like to see this as "re-satisfied" after beeing sand-blasted ...  then again, so maybe it is "false worship", now, too ^^

tricky situation!

best wishes  lol
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
I'd guess roughly 2hrs per figure including basing, the figure in the purple O-Yoroi taking longer.

That makes this entry even more impressive - I always assumed that this level of painting takes far longer. Great photography as well and beautiful scenery.

Excellent entry, and I truely deserve to get my #$$ kicked in the voting this round.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
Great entries and I love casualty scene especially the guy sharpening his tool of the trade. What a story for the Buddhas!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
Hawkeye-
I live in the Northeast tip, a little town named Hiawatha, about three hours from Wichita. And you're right, its not all that odd a story for Kansas, I've met some real characters here. Wichita is where I went to grad school and get there every so often. I'm not sure the game stores I frequented are even there any more.

Gnomehome-
I was wondering about your entry, I don't do any games with element style basing and I was wondering if you're using it as an objective for a particular game, or if it is a stand alone vignette. It's not my period either so it is pretty interesting and mysterious, at least to me. Where are the figures from?

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
Gnomehome-
I was wondering about your entry, I don't do any games with element style basing and I was wondering if you're using it as an objective for a particular game, or if it is a stand alone vignette. It's not my period either so it is pretty interesting and mysterious, at least to me. Where are the figures from?

It's just some 'battlefield decoration' actually, there is no real 'in game' use. It could do service as an objective marker or location marker now that you mention it.

The figures are from Redoubt : http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/index

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
It's true, Dr Mathias, games stores seem to come and go in Wichita - it's happened to two, at least, since I've moved here. Well, if ever you're in the Wichita area, shoot me a PM if you'd like to meet for a game. The store in Wichita (a new one, just a year old) where I go is called Hero Complex, on 21st just off Rock Road. I've just got a group of them hooked on Legends of the Old West, which we're having fun with.
Thanks for the info on the stone heads - a lot of work, but they look fantastic!

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Stunning Samurai.   :-*
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio