Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:13:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ghost Cowboys  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Ghost Cowboys
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »

Well I have these figures and a powerful need for some Ghost Cowboys for my American pulp game.  I've considered several ways to paint them including painting them up as pale gray ghost with glowing greens eyes but then I came across Evilcartoonist nicely done Black and White pulp figs and I was struck with an idea.  What If I panted my ghost Cowboys like and old and faded sepiatone photo with glowing green eyes.  For some reason this strikes me as being a bit more cool than typical "ghost".  What do you think?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »
An interesting idea, sounds like it could work, do a test one and post a picture. I am sure you will get honest feedback :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
What a cool idea! Sounds like the kind of thing Hollywood should have thought of. You must do this and show off the results.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:24:08 PM »
That would be a neat trick.

Personally, I'm fond of the greenish glow the army of the dead had in RotK. Easy to paint to. Prime white, green ink wash, lighter green drybrush, a few yellowish highlights, done.

I'm really eager to see your result though!

Curiously, why the need for ghost cowboys?

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Hooligan"
That would be a neat trick.

Personally, I'm fond of the greenish glow the army of the dead had in RotK. Easy to paint to. Prime white, green ink wash, lighter green drybrush, a few yellowish highlights, done.

I'm really eager to see your result though!

Curiously, why the need for ghost cowboys?

Ah Jack your a Texan and your asking me why I need ghost cowboys?  What's more Wild West than a good ghost story?  :)

I'll be using these for my American pulp game set in the southwest.  They are a band of cursed stagecoach robbers.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:36:34 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
An interesting idea, sounds like it could work, do a test one and post a picture. I am sure you will get honest feedback :)

Ok I'll do that.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »

Ah Jack your a Texan and your asking me why I need ghost cowboys? What's more Wild West than a good ghost story? Smile

I'll be using these for my American pulp game set in the southwest. They are a band of cursed stagecoach robbers.

I plan on having a group myself in LotOW. I guess I didn't ask the right question. What game are you using them for? Got any details on how they'll work?

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Hooligan"

Ah Jack your a Texan and your asking me why I need ghost cowboys? What's more Wild West than a good ghost story? Smile

I'll be using these for my American pulp game set in the southwest. They are a band of cursed stagecoach robbers.

I plan on having a group myself in LotOW. I guess I didn't ask the right question. What game are you using them for? Got any details on how they'll work?

I've been using some generic sci-fi rules with a very good system for creating just about any type of troop, character, creature, vehicle, or weapon you can think up.  Check my blog I have a line there.  Also I figure Ghost Cowboys will be a good thing to have if I ever do Wild West.

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »
I'll be interested to see how this works out too, sounds like a cool effect.

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
You might be interested to see this:
http://www.thecourtjestersstudio.com/WPM/download.html#issue3

The new issue of Wargames Painting and Modelling is out (free to download) and features an article on painting minis in black and white.

Not exactly what you were planning, I know, but the technique should be more or less the same.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »
Well I started with a sepia paintjob over white that looked ok.  Then I gave it a wash and I wasnt liking it.  Then I drybrushed some highlights which looked ok but did'nt look ghostly enough so I decided to just drybrush some glowing green like Jack suggested.  I thought it looked pretty good but my pics look kinda crappy.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 04:31:33 AM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"
Check my blog

Tangent:

Very interesting stuff there. I'm glad I found this site; it's nice to see that there are so many people like me out there.  

It wasn't so long ago that I realized that the best parts of a RPG were the action scenes when I whipped out the minis.  It takes so long to work up a good RPG session, only to be played out in a few hours and forgotten, with half the stuff you worked on never coming to light.  

By hybriding the RPG action into a wargame, to the point of forgetting most of the fiddly RPG stuff you certainly get a lot more bang for your buck.  The un-fun prep time is cut down to practically nothing, and all the fun prep time (assembling the scenario, painting terrain and minis, and such) gets much more attention and use.  Everyone has more fun with none of those dry RPG moments that pop up.  It’s much better to have every session be memorable instead of just a few.

Just a few weeks ago this site turned me on to Song of Blades and Heroes and I finally found the system I've been wanting for decades.  It is fantasy, but much like your sci-fi game you can really do anything with it.  I was pretty impressed with LotOW, but I like SoBaH much better and actually feel it can do western better (at least for my style of play) and quicker.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:21:11 PM »
Looks good. Now you need some mounted ones riding the devil's herd ;)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Ghost Cowboys
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 01:35:13 PM »
Oh I've got those planned as well for later and also the American Southwest version of The Headless Horseman based on  a Texas legend.