Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Age Lard  (Read 16863 times)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Dark Age Lard
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2012, 03:37:07 AM »
I just finished reading one great battle report.
Now another neat report. Good job, guys.
The Gods must be smiling on us.
But some would say the sheep had something to do with it. lol
Really waiting for the rules.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 04:56:57 AM »
That was a fantastic battle report! Very excited about the next installment.

How will you handle Druids and other spiritual leaders?
I 2nd this question.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2012, 05:08:41 AM »
I would have thought Druids were more Celtic period, by the age of the Saxon Shore, Christianity was the stronger leaning. The Norse brought in their own Gods but became Christian as well.

I 2nd this question.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 05:25:56 AM »
You are correct Mr Poirer50, but there would have still been small hold outs of the old pagan ways. Just look at how differently christian is practiced all over europe and you will still see pagan roots to allot of old traditions.

And don't forget about Merlin :D

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »
A good point, Pete! Even so, will Priests and such have any role to play in games of DB? (Aside from an objective, but that would extend to any type of non-combatant)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54:08 AM »
The Druid thing is problematic as the whole Merlin thing is a complete load of mumbo-jumbo courtesy of Geoffrey of Monmouth and more recently embelished by writers of fiction such as Bernard Cornwell.  In truth the Britons were predominatly Christian by the time that we're talking about here, and had been so for some considerable time.  Prior to that the Gods worshiped had largely been Roman or local deities incorporated into a Roman context. 

However, having said that, religious characters, Christian or Pagan are included in the campaign system.  Early on your Romano-British leader is most likely to come into contact with a local Priest when defending his church against a Saxon raid.  If he does so successfully he will find that the Priest becomes a useful character who can assist him when calling for divine intervention prior to a battle.  Indeed there is a chance that he could have a vision which provides a selection of what are essentially "ruses" that you can use in a battle. 

For the Saxons their chiefs normally fulfilled the function of religious leaders, however as they progress in their career they can attract several NPCs to assist them based largely on their status and how impressive a reputation they develop.  One of these characters is a Wicca (pronounced Vizza, which is where we get the word Wizzard) who is a significant Pagan shaman.  The Romano-British King would attract a Bishop in the same fashion.  These fellows have even more pull with the head honcho in the sky and also attract a degree of income.  Above them is the Saint or the Pagan High Priest.  In those days you didn't have to be dead to be a Saint.  You could be, to use the terminology, "A citizen of Heaven whose body dwells on earth".  This is where your Merlin figure would fit in.  As well as their presence lifting your team and striking fear into the hearts of the enemy, they also gain a significant financial advantage as lots of pilgrims will be coming to your neck of the woods.

I should point out that the rules do not include magic as I am attempting to take an historical approach.  However I have studied a good range of mediaeval Miracles associated with military actions and one cannot help but be impressed by the fact that if a Bishop comes running out saying "Look, I have found the Holy Lance which pierced the side of our Lord", people didn't shout "Shut up you old loon, you are clearly a utter charlatan" they were actually impressed and it encouraged them to fight harder.  Likewise, if the Bishop says "I saw an angel in the night and it told me that the way through the forest is down that road there" all that matters is whether that is indeed the way through the forest.  The fact that he probably got that information while rodgering the chambermaid before  breakfast, a local girl who knows the area, isn't that important.  His followers believe they have been blessed by God, and that is what I have tried to model.  Think the Allelujah battle and St Germanus.  A miracle?  I think not, just an "ambush" that caught the Saxons on the hop and gave them a nasty shock, so they went home. 

As a norm Priests will not fight in the battle, they'd just be there for the pre-battle warm up to get the team going.  Saints and High Priests will, however, scare the enemy a bit by their presence.  That said, there will be the odd Friar Tuck type of religious leader who is happy to get stuck in in the front row of the scrum.

Oh, and NO WAR DOGS.  Pure fantastical rubbish and I am not going there!   :D       

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2012, 06:57:26 AM »
Whoops, I forgot to mention that you'll get "reiics" and their pagan equivalent, which will impress your peasants. 

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
And for just that reason I have been collecting various priestly or Bishop like figures although some are more Medieval than Dark Ages. I think the Foundry Jolly Monks are a lovely set of figures and I even got a Nun or Abbess in a recent pick up from Dave Thomas (the only way to buy Foundry IMHO).

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »
That was exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you :)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
Yes, I must admit that a few God-botherers on the side-lines do look good.  I like the idea of a Battle of Cair Ligion, or Chester if we're going all Saxon, in 615 where the British clergy lined up praying while the battle went on.  Some Saxons noticed them and went over and topped the lot!  Daft buggers.  

I have a very nice Foundry Monk with a barrel under his arm who dispenses the beverages should a stirrup cup be required to get the lads in the mood before kick off.  

Christian - Glad I could help. 

Cheers

Rich

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »
Sounds good to me, I was expecting them to be hurlying fireballs or any thing crazy like that. lol
Just good to know that religion will be taken into account.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
I dont think you can go wrong with adding in a bit of the Bernard Cornwell Derfel type Druid remnants :D

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
Sound stuff re. the religious bits Rich.

Looking forward to seeing the cavalry introduced in your next write up.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
That works for me... the belief in magic/religion is sometimes the same as there being some.

As far as British pagans go, the type of Christianity practised by the Britons would be very different to what we are familiar with and in some cases indistinguishable from some of the pagan rites for native deities. Old gods were made saints and their practices continued, while churches were built within pre-existing sacred groves etc. There are a number of churches in Shropshire, Herefordshire and elsewhere, which have original pagan depictions of the goddess Sheela-na-gig incorporated into their door arches, which post-date this period.

The 'religious war' between the Roman church and the British churches wasn't just about when Easter was celebrated you know.  ;)

Nevertheless, whichever you favour, the effects would be the same as people of the time were quite superstitious. If your priest/wicca/wiglera/dryw/derwydd/wise one, told you the omens were good and had some skill at doing so, then it had a positive effect. Likewise the reputation of your 'holy person' would also grow and before long, knowing that Myrddin son of Scrote was with your enemy, would have a negative effect on your army. 

I'm really liking the thought that appears to be going into these rules though and of course the chance to join in the discussion.  :)