Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 03:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brink of Battle - Official Thread - New TRAIT pg 7!  (Read 25139 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Brink of Battle - Official Thread - New UPDATE page 4
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
You can post it up here, or in the "Other Adventures" Section. Just put down
"Brink of Battle" AAR
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »
Yeah fire support might be a little to much for the game at the moment.

Yeah, that might have to wait until my company level battle version.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
@BobbleHead - You can either post it in Other Adventures like CommissarMoody said, or do like JP1885 and Anatoli have done and post the AAR in the forum that most appropriately suits the genre.  For example, a fantasy AAR in the Fantasy forum, Sci-Fi in that forum, etc.  They both usually bill it as Brink of Battle Sci-Fi AAR, or such.

Offline BOBBLE HEAD

• Student
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2012, 03:58:32 AM »
Alright, I posted my lists and a very brief blurb about the game in Future War section, since it was sci fi. I didnt realy take any detailed notes, since it was a more relaxed game with a friend.
   We did however, decide to rewrite our forces and do a campaign set in the Dust world! I will post the new campaign lists and do more detailed AARs for the course of the story!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2012, 05:02:36 AM »
Sounds great!

Sorry I have been very silent lately everyone.  I've been suffering from lots of activity with my day job, and some mild burnout on marketing in general. 

Will have some new announcements up soon.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »
Vrrrooooom! Vrooooooom!!!  Guess who's working on Vehicle rules?  This guy!  lol

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
Re: Brink of Battle - Official Thread - New UPDATE page 5
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2012, 05:24:40 AM »
I just updated my Brink of Battle blog with some additional info sneak peeking at the gobs of new Traits that will appear in Epic Heroes next spring.  You can see it here: http://brinkofbattle.blogspot.com/

The vehicles book is on hold, as there are too many fundamental rules decisions I'm still sorting out.

Noch Weiter!

Offline GWRoberts

• Assistant
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 02:08:43 AM »
I just updated my Brink of Battle blog with some additional info sneak peeking at the gobs of new Traits that will appear in Epic Heroes next spring.  You can see it here: http://brinkofbattle.blogspot.com/

The vehicles book is on hold, as there are too many fundamental rules decisions I'm still sorting out.

Noch Weiter!

I'm not surprised that you've had to put vehicles on hold - it would certainly be complicated, especially the more recent the time frame.

Here's to hoping that next year will give you the time and inspiration to get things worked out.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2012, 02:26:05 AM »
Thanks.  I need to finish the fantasy book and then we'll revisit some of the issues that prevented vehicles being finished.  I'll be looking for a broad playtesting sample and will be sure to include you then.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
Ok,
I tried BoB yesterday with some Wargods of Aegyptus minis.. lots of fun..

Is this the place to post rules questions or is there a dedicated group/forum ?

Has there been any progress on the fantasy rules ?

cheers
Francisco

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 01:43:47 AM »
Ok,
I tried BoB yesterday with some Wargods of Aegyptus minis.. lots of fun..

Is this the place to post rules questions or is there a dedicated group/forum ?

Has there been any progress on the fantasy rules ?

cheers
Francisco

Great to hear!  We're having a blast with the fantasy playtesting, and it just keeps getting better.  You can post BoB main rules questions here.  If you have questions for the Fantasy/Epic Heroes playtest stuff, let me know and I'll set up a thread in the Fantasy Forum to keep the lines clearly drawn.   :D

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:35 AM »
Also, you can see our current projects for use with the Fantasy rules here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48872.0

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2013, 04:08:11 AM »
Ok, when I get some time I'll post a separate AAR. I used the playtest fantasy module to do an Aegyptus game. Looking at the Wargods of Aegyptus book I used the tools that seemed similar in BoB, traits, spells etc, and simply rewrote the fluff for my players.
It was a fun game though of course as any first game I did a bunch of things wrong.

I'll start posting questions as I play more games. Quick tactics question, if I have some models aligned base to base if an enemy engages one of them then he would tend to be outnumbered during the initial contact... Is there any practical way to solve this as an attacker ?

Also, weapons that are 2-hand weapons, technically, am I allowed to use a shield with the model while moving as a defense against range combat? My Heru models have halberd and carry a shield.

Finally, I was thinking about maybe trying a long spear that is still used in one hand ( allowing for shield ) but is not a spear that you can throw ( kind of like the hoplite long spear ). I was thinking something like 3/C/2  but was still considering any traits (probably unwieldy) and the points. Does that make sense, I see the current spear more as a pilum/throwing spear ( gaul style ) and the pike and great spear are both 2-hands so it is hard to represent a hoplite ... unless we assume he uses a great spear and account for the shield as part of the armor rather than a proper shield with its traits given the way it was used by the hoplite..  So, what are your thoughts on this ?

I really like the detailed aspect of hand to hand combat in BoB, works great for ancients.

thanks
Francisco

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »
Glad to hear it Francisco.  :)  I look forward to the AAR.  Hopefully with pictures, yes? 

Here are the answers to your questions:

"Quick tactics question, if I have some models aligned base to base if an enemy engages one of them then he would tend to be outnumbered during the initial contact... Is there any practical way to solve this as an attacker ?"

Since a model only needs to come within 1" of an enemy model to count as Engaged in Close combat, if your guy is Charging two models that are in base contact with each other, in most cases you'll Engage them both.  Now, if you hit one of them on the flank, you might not be 'within' 1" of the other one.  The best way to deal with getting ganged up on by more than one foe is to either buy the Myrmidon Trait which negates the CBT/2 penalty that comes from being Engaged with Multiple Opponents.  Myrmidon will also make your guy immune to Panic from Outnumbered.  So, a Myrmidon fights at his full Combat Rating, and never takes a Panic Check from being Outnumbered. That's the quick fix. 

"Also, weapons that are 2-hand weapons, technically, am I allowed to use a shield with the model while moving as a defense against range combat? My Heru models have halberd and carry a shield."

You can most certainly switch back and forth each Turn.  So you can have your shields help your Armor Rating from Ranged Attacks, and then use your Halberds in Close combat.

"Finally, I was thinking about maybe trying a long spear that is still used in one hand ( allowing for shield ) but is not a spear that you can throw ( kind of like the hoplite long spear ). I was thinking something like 3/C/2  but was still considering any traits (probably unwieldy) and the points. Does that make sense, I see the current spear more as a pilum/throwing spear ( gaul style ) and the pike and great spear are both 2-hands so it is hard to represent a hoplite ... unless we assume he uses a great spear and account for the shield as part of the armor rather than a proper shield with its traits given the way it was used by the hoplite..  So, what are your thoughts on this ?"

The Spear is meant to represent everything heavier than a Javelin and shorter than a Great Spear or Pike.  A Hoplite's spear would be represented by this weapon.  A Pilum could either be a Javelin or a Spear that is Thrown.  I leave it up to you to decide. 

One new Trait we'll see in the Fantasy book Epic Heroes, is Monkey Grip.  This model has the ability to use 2-handed weapons with one hand!  Opens up some great options.

You own the game now, so feel free to make changes as you see fit.  I'm a collaborative game designer, so I won't come back and say 'No no no you can't do that'.  I'll say, 'Do that, but if it doesn't work don't hold it against me!'  lol

"I really like the detailed aspect of hand to hand combat in BoB, works great for ancients."

Thanks!  I'm most proud of my Close combat system.  To me it feels like real combat.

Great questions Francisco. Keep 'em coming!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick answers...

Indeed the close combat is really great, it provides enough substance for the game to be fun as a skirmish system for ancients.

Regarding the spear I guess what I'll do is do it as 2/C/2, it will lose the 2-hands trait but gain unwieldy and I guess I'll leave it at 12 points ( unless you recommend a different point value ). In my mind it will simply represent that the soldier is using the great spear with one hand ( to allow use of shield ) so it has the same stats but it is impractical to use past the initial engagement. I will not give the option of switching to a 2 hand use since buying this "long spear" vs the "greater spear" would represent the training of the soldier using it being on one or the other mode.

Looking forward to future games and particularly to the release of the fantasy module.

cheers
Francisco