Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some Pulp type pics  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Troll

• Librarian
Some Pulp type pics
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:38:05 AM »
Was playing around with my minis and took some pics that I thought I would share.

Cheers,

Troll
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43:17 AM »
Great, thanks for sharing.  I would add some more shading and tone down the gloss coat a bit, unless they are all suppose to be wearing paten leather.  The Bases could use some work too but for a game they look just fine.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
Kewl! 8)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Troll

• Librarian
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »
Quote from: "bandit86"
I would add some more shading and tone down the gloss coat a bit, unless they are all suppose to be wearing paten leather.  The Bases could use some work too but for a game they look just fine.

Thanks for the advice!  I still am having trouble with the whole shading process in painting. I have tried using washes but my results have not been the best. Do people recomend using ink? Is there a good how to out there on washes?

I have always liked the shinny look for miniatures. Not sure why just my own preferance.

The minis I paint are used for gaming, so I don't spend much time on the bases, I may put some flock on them, but found that for gaming I prefer a neutral gray color as that, in my opinion, works best for a variety of gaming terrain.

I used paper cut outs for the Egyptian walls from The Khemri Project site.

http://www.geocities.com/artidomal/Khemri.html

Cheers,

Troll

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »
Hi Troll

I use my miniatures for gaming too. Or will do when I get round to doing scenery etc..

I think if you based them with something like wall filler and flocked them with grey or brown or whatever you would be surprised at the result. I know I was.

I never had any luck with washes either as I usually get the paint too thick. I've found that the three colour method of layering the paint from base to mid to highlight is very effective and fairly straightforward.

After that its practice practice practice.

One of the really good painters I read painted 100 horses to perfect his technique in a kill or cure ideal. I'm sure it would have killed me. :lol:

Cheers

Dodge

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »
I'd say inks are a good way to go, if you find it hard to do washes with normal paints. It doesn't take many attempts to figure out the finesses, like how much to water it down. If you like your figures shiny, then all the better, as some people's problem with ink is the glossiness it imparts on the surface (personally I correct this with a light drybrush over the inked surfade, it kills the gloss and adds a highlight). I just can't cope with layering, and I don't think it's for everyone.

I do agree on that the miniatures look a bit incomplete without some texture on the bases.

BTW, another good thing with liking you figures shiny, is that you can use gloss varnish without hesitation. It's the best varnish in sheer terms of protection, and you don't need to worry about the surface picking up dust and grime over the years (which can be a problem with the grainy surface you get from matt varnish). So, good for you.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »
I think they have a nice kind of retro look to the figures and the games look good. One advantage of shiny figures is that you don't go insane trying to find a matt varnish that works  :)
Pat

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »
Quote from: "theoldschool"
I think they have a nice kind of retro look to the figures and the games look good. One advantage of shiny figures is that you don't go insane trying to find a matt varnish that works  :)
Pat

Sorry did I sound as though I didn't like the figures.

The overall look is really good. The scenery is fantastic especially the town scenes from previous posts.

I'm currently going insane trying to find that matt varnish as my preference for my own is matt. Although humbrol clear is woking quite well :)

Dodge

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »
Quote from: "dodge"

Dodge

Dodge, I certainly didn't take it that way.  Pat

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:08:41 PM »
Quote from: "theoldschool"
Quote from: "dodge"

Dodge

Dodge, I certainly didn't take it that way.  Pat

Phew thank goodness for that.

I was a bit worried there for a minute.

Dodge

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »
I think shiny and neat is perfectly acceptable. However, a good base can make even a poor figure look good, whereas a poor base will make even a good figure look bad; and your bases don't do your figures justice.

Keeping the grey is fine, even as a flat colour as you have now, this compliments your style of painting. Using some kind of filler or putty to blend the figure bases onto the washers will improve things 200% though and I recommend you try it at least once to see the difference for yourself.

Offline Troll

• Librarian
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:52:45 AM »
Cool, thanks for all the advice. I will fix up my basing in the future. I had thought of putting some grey gravel on the bases and perhaps I will give that a try.

One thing I really enjoy about these boards is the advice and tips that everyone shares. It is a great source of inspiration.

Thanks one and all.

Cheers,
Troll

Offline Jules

• Librarian
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
A friend of mine pointed out that you see more base than figure on a table so by rights you should spend more time on the figures.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Some Pulp type pics
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
Quote from: "Troll"
I have tried using washes but my results have not been the best. Do people recomend using ink? Is there a good how to out there on washes?

Inks are a good, quick way of doing mass-produced shading. I'm no expert & will never win any competitions, but I like washes.

I first choose the correct ink for the colour I'm shading [obvious maybe, but you'd be surprised sometimes]. I water the ink down slightly, how much I can't really say exactly, it's really a matter of trial & error. I tend to paint from a black or grey undercoat, then apply the base colour. Next I apply the ink, sometimes needing two or three washes to get the right coverage [allowing each wash to dry, in order to see how it has "taken" to the fiure]. I then re-apply the base coat with a dry brush. Finally I do some highlights - again drybrushing.

As an alternative to pure inks, you can mix in some paint to give more subtle shading, or just use watered-down paint with a touch of PVA glue to help break surface-tension & aid flow into the crevices. Using different consistencies of paint can help give some really subtle shading, with the lightest shade wash being the one with most paint in & the final one having very little.

That said, I'm a distinctly average painter so it's a case of do as I say, not as I do  :lol:

The Games Workshop book on painting Citadel figures is a good one to get, as even though it only focuses on their stuff, it gives all the painting techniques you could need for any figures and covers basic to "expert" techniques. As you'd expect, not cheap, but worth it.