Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:42:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW rumors?  (Read 6567 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: GW rumors?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »
That's not true.  All the colours are being cut and replaced with the new system.  Your local store has a free colours chart of the new 145 paints.

Okay, thanks for the info they clearly have no idea (it's a small indepent store). Anyway I only wanted two pots...

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
As a fan of the old Citadel Washes i had a chance to try the new shade and glazes today. The new Shades/Glazes donīt cover that well, so that you have all the color in the foldings and cracks of the miniature, but not on the flat surfaces giving you a high contrast. :P That you can do it with any other color and donīt have to buy an expensive pot of ink.
I think i have to get myself a little stockpile of the old washes and then have to change to the sadly inferior Vallejo washes.
http://nftu.wordpress.com/ (german language)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
That's very bad news indeed.

Colours are ultimately replaceable, but the magic of Devlan Mud/Gryphonne Sepia is not!

Any news of other colours that are clearly being phased out (like Regal Blue)?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:39:31 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
They suggest Kantor Blue as a replacement, but they also suggest that as the closest shade for necron abyss (which is almost black), which is a bit of a worry...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
They are all being phased out and replaced with similar, but not the same, colours.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 01:13:21 AM »
I heard they overlooked keeping the rights to the paint names when they contracted with their last manufacturer, so when they severed ties with that manufacturer, GW didn't get to keep their names.  Doh!

Too bad. Boltgun Metal is now Leadbelcher I think....

Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 02:20:49 AM »
I wonder if the old manufacturer will re-issue the old washes under a different label...

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »
I wonder if the old manufacturer will re-issue the old washes under a different label...

That would be nice

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »
I'm headed ver to my local shop to pick up my extras today.  Bloody Games Workshop, screwin' the little guy again!  lol
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 07:53:53 AM »
I've bought a couple of devlan mud and gryphonne sepia pots. Two victims of GW will of change.  :'(

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 08:05:13 AM »
Just great.  That's the last products I bought from GW.  Now I'll have to find annother paint manufacturer.  Really bummed about the Devlan Mud.
This is my boomstick!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:54 AM »
Actually, if it had always been farmed out to a third party, who IS the old manufacturer?

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »
Are the new washes not as good as the current ones? I'll have to invest in some extras if not.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »
Well, the old Citadel range seemed to be taken over by Coat d'Arms, not sure of the current range.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »
I've been using GW paints for a decade and a half, and this is hardly the first time they 'reintroduced' their paint line.  I haven't always been the biggest fan, but previously there were not too many choices.  Has anyone else used Army Painter paints.  I've been pretty happy with them, and you get 50% more for about 20 cents less per unit.

That siad, I think like a lot of people, there are always paints from other lines to steal.  So AP is my base but I also have Vallejo, GW, Ral Partha and some local craft paint.

That said I did see the new paints demonstrated today, the kid in the store grabbed me..., and some og the new formulations are nice, but to my eye it's the 'Idiot Proof Paint Set'. They not only give main colors, but basically the shading and highlight shades as well. That way the young painter need not mix at all, just paint by numbers.  That said, IMHO, I don't think that children younger than 15 or so has the necessary patience to paint.  That comes from about a decade of hobby shop experience....