Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:12:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Von Toth: Zombie Horde in progress  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
Von Toth: Zombie Horde in progress
« on: January 20, 2008, 02:34:30 AM »
I´m building a zombie horde and already did a couple of games with it, using an adaptation of T&T by meninobesta (also a member here).
We´re still fine tuning some points in the zombie rules (for balance - zombies are wining pretty much all the time, but in a fun way :)) and hope to be able to do a report soon :)

For now, I can leave you with the "Introduction" for my zombie horde (in the form of an allied briefing) and some pictures of the "zacks" themselves (in various stages of completion). It´s far from an horde right now, at about 10 zombies + Oberst von Toth, but I have another 10 primed and will budget for another 20-pack of Westwinds zombie goodness :)

First the "fluff":

"Situation Report:

This is what we learned thus far:

The Solamun Virus had been isolated by the Germans as early as 1940 but deemed too toxic to be used as an effective weapon.
Subjects died only to reanimate with no life signs, coupled with inhuman strength and a supernatural resistance to bodily harm.
Only complete removal of the brain was observed to be completely effective in permanently neutralizing those afflicted with the virus.
Subjects, upon reanimation, seemed to be driven solely by the instinct of feeding on the living and were completely uncontrollable. The virus was dismissed as a useful weapon.

When the tide of the war began to shift, after Stalingrad, interest in the Solamun´s uses in warfare re-surfaced. Several competing science teams were given funds to investigate a way to control the reanimated.

Oberst Hyeronimus von Toth and his team had a novel approach, and were scoffed at by their peers. They turned to Occult tomes and remote digging sites.

We have evidence that has lead us to believe that Toth as met with partial (or possibly complete) success. A recent commando raid on his lab (that we at the time believed to be a site for developing biological weapons) met heavy resistance from a small infantry force that although unarmed "simply would not die". We have strong reasons to believe that those were Solamun afflicted soldiers. We are to refrain from the use of the word "zombie" lest we impact morale too severely.

Toth was spotted never letting go of a briefcase and the Solamun afflicted troops seemed to be under his control. We suffered heavy casualties in the raid.

All we have learned comes from a member of Toth´s team captured in the aforementioned commando raid. He claims Toth is mad and operates completely outside of the control of the regime. He fashions himself a god. He is building an army out of the "afflicted" and the key to their control is an artifact in the briefcase, but the captured team member claims no one knows what it is - but it never leaves the briefcase Toth always carries.

It is imperative that Toth be stopped at all costs. This new threat could potentially turn the tide of the war, in unexpected ways, since Toth appears to have no loyalties to anyone besides himself."

And now for some pics - all minis are Westwind (in a very appropriate "Max Brooks" backdrop):

Von Toth with briefcase leading his undead (in several states of completion):

Slightly different angle (and better focus):

So - what´s your opinion fellow Lead Adventurers?
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »
Great job with those minis, and a very interesting fluff approach! I like it!
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »
Loved the backstory! minis not to shabby either.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »
Interesting use of Max Brooks' material there, Zacks is a later US military term though, (if you want to be true to the source) Zeds or Z-men would sound cooler I thinK? Though it's your thing so go with it mate.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Best wishes

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
nice story and figs, plus you have given me a use for the guy on the right.

It would be interesting to see your Z mods for TT when finalised :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »
Looks very, very promising!

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
Thanks for all the comments :)

I know Zack would be inappropriate... :P How about Z-Mann?

As soon as we iron out the mission and rules in T&T we´ll do a "pretty" report with photos et all. We have to tone down the zombies or fiddle with the deployment (or both). The "good guys" came close to completing the scenario once (we´ve been playing a simple "We´re surrounded, exit to the other side of the table, through the zombies). But the zombies, although slow, make their numbers count in hand-to-hand. Which is as it should be I guess, so we´re trying to fine-tune the deployment and mission as opposed to doing major changes on the zombie-rules. Our ideia would be a campaign, where we would use the modified T&T for all the major actions and .45 scenarios for all the cloak & dagger stuff.

I´ll keep you posted both on the rules and on the development of von Toth´s minions :)

BTW: Phil - Those minis are excellent! :)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
Nice minis.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
Quote from: "Torradas"
Thanks for all the comments :)

I know Zack would be inappropriate... :P How about Z-Mann?

As soon as we iron out the mission and rules in T&T we´ll do a "pretty" report with photos et all. We have to tone down the zombies or fiddle with the deployment (or both). The "good guys" came close to completing the scenario once (we´ve been playing a simple "We´re surrounded, exit to the other side of the table, through the zombies). But the zombies, although slow, make their numbers count in hand-to-hand. Which is as it should be I guess, so we´re trying to fine-tune the deployment and mission as opposed to doing major changes on the zombie-rules. Our ideia would be a campaign, where we would use the modified T&T for all the major actions and .45 scenarios for all the cloak & dagger stuff.

I´ll keep you posted both on the rules and on the development of von Toth´s minions :)

BTW: Phil - Those minis are excellent! :)

Yeah I'd go with Z-men, has a kind of pulp sound to it (G-men) though as Shaun (From Shaun of the Dead says) we're not using the Z word!

;)

Again look forward to seeing more

The Commander

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:27:31 PM »
The zombies are great, and so are the T&T rules to use them in a skirmish game!

These are the rules I've written, always keeping in mind that they should not diverge too much from the core rules, and that extra mechanisms should not be added in order to keep the excellent game flow! I must also add a big thanks for Driscoles for the support given! and also to all the T&T development group for a really great set of gaming rules! :)

and now for the rules!

Sudden death throws off the balance that's within the sky, Priest calls forth infernal names to the ones beyond the gate

Although actual technology explains the undead as a victim of some unknown virus or mutation, in the beginnings of the XX century the zombie curse was a deed of the occult, and these creatures were brought from the dead through dark and devious sorcery! The Germans and central Europe powers have mastered the dark arts of the zombie ritual, bringing the abominations to life in order to serve them in their conquests!

Zombies in Triumph & Tragedy

Zombies are unarmed Raw troops. Due to their savagery they count as being armed with a knife (no modifiers for melee).
Zombies cannot be given the "move fast" order, and only roll one die for the charge distance.
Zombies are immune to all moral and psychology, this includes, becoming pinned and tests to counter-attack in melee.
Zombies do accumulate suppression, when a zombie group has more suppression markers then models in the unit, the player must take note of it and in this unit next activation the unit movement distance is reduced to 3". After that the unit looses all suppression markers.
Infection - if a model is killed by a zombie (kill roll in the damage chart only, not a wound result) then a new zombie appears in his place, the zombie is added to the unit that made this gruesome casualty!

Zombie master
the Leader of the zombies is a zombie master (treat him as a normal leader), he is not an undead but can join zombie units.
The zombie master is the one who brought the zombies to life and the one who controls them.
Although a living human being, when a zombie master is with a zombie unit he is treated as another zombie (immune to morale effects and so on)
If a zombie master leaves a zombie unit he doesn't carry any existing suppression markers with him, but from now on he receives suppression as normal an if he happens to join any unit his current suppression markers are added to the unit
If a zombie master is taken out of action then all the zombies in the game roll for damage (with -1 penalty), this test is made before the next unit cards are revealed, after that the game continues as normal.

Summoning
A zombie master can summon more zombies into play, for this he must use a special action card (and must remain stationary), the zombie master must make a score check and if it is successful a group of zombies appear at a selected table edge, but must be placed more then 1/2" from any enemy. the unit can only be activated in the next turn!
The number of zombies that appear are equal to the test score. This summoning can only be made if there are enough dead zombies available.
If the test is failed, the zombie master receives a wound

Scorn of the earth, I witness
In rapture I'm born again
Scorn of the light, I bear scorn
In rapture I'm reborn

NOTES on the Summoning: I only call it summoning because name fits very nicely, but it should not be considerate a raise dead effect like the ones seen in D&D or Warhammer games. This rules reflects more zombies coming to battle, and surprising the living folks who seek safety in the table edges, just like the B-Movies.
Since zombies can never move fast, this is a way that a zombie controlling player can use when, for instance, the living player keeps running away and shooting. In our games we only used the out of action zombie miniatures, to prevent adding too much zombies into the game!

As Said in the Pirate code: "These are not rules they are more like guidelines" philosophy should be followed! so feel free to adapt the rules to your gaming needs and situations!

Cheers, and comments would (of course) be very helpful!

all things in itallic are from Morbid Angel! I certainly don't have the ability to write such a dark piece of script!
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »
This sounds very nice guys !
Please carry on ! Iam very curious on the finnished version for T+T and Zombies.
Björn
, ,

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
The basic problem so far has been that the Good guys get tangled up in melee with the Z's and die a gruesome death.

At the same time, we don't want to mess with the rules very much because we liked the feel of the zombies - what we can (and will change) is the deployment for the specific mission and here's why:

We've been doing 4 teams of 6 or 7 (men or zombies) aside, plus a couple of hero-figures. Those are deployed more or less directly opposite from each other along the long table edge.
What this causes is that the good guys aren't able to concentrate firepower to breach the "zombie line" and get through - they manage to take 2 or 3 zombies down from each Zombie unit and then proceed to get mauled in hand-to-hand when they try to punch through. We've been playing that for each Good guy team that manages to exit through the zombie deployment we increase the margin by which the Good guys win:
0 teams: Zombies won, game over
1 team: Marginal victory;
2 teams: "Normal" victory
3 teams: Major victory
4 teams: Zombie Massacre :)

So far, not even 1 team managed to get to the edge of the table, so 2 games, 2 zombie victories.

I think that if we allow the good side to deploy after the zombies AND deploy the zombies on a strip of terrain along the middle of the table (more or less halfway between long table edges) we can give the good guys a better fighting chance. This way, they can concentrate fire and punch through the line while still being threatened by the zombies since they are closer - but at least there will be some free terrain behing the zombies for the good guys to break in to.

The "raise" rules are extremely fun and give a very zombie flick feel to the game - zombies keep pouring in, forcing the good side to run for their lives :)

We've been using lots of terrain which ends up somewhat protecting the zombies, but we aren't quite ready to give up the terrain as it contributes to a really tense game.

Next game we play we'll just change the deployment as I've stated above - I'm convinced it will be much more balanced :)

We'll keep you posted and draw up a final version of the "zombie mod" once we feel it's balanced and feels right.