Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:20:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690790
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Ottomans had the oil...  (Read 4213 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
The Ottomans had the oil...
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
...just when oil was becoming important.  They were definitely a ramshackle power in this period, but still a power.

Could they have come to dominate the late 19th century, or at least regained great power status, if they had known what they had, and geared their resources up to using it?

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
Re: The Ottomans had the oil...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Was the fall of the Ottoman Empire due to the increasing importance of oil in the world economy?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
I think their decline started when they stopped using fez hats.  Oil wouldn't have changed anything. lol

OK sorry I'll just get my coat now...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:48:03 PM by Dr. The Viking »
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »
We should try to keep this topic to the "then" rather than the "now"... before this gets locked. I'd love to read the discussions to this interesting topic... Looking forward to the experts.

As far as I recall from my sparse history lessons in Greek schools on topics other than Antiquity and Byzantium, the inner political turmoil (Young Turk movement) and being on the wrong side of the fence in the major conflicts were the reasons that broke the camel's back... But I'll be happily educated by anyone else. :)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
We should try to keep this topic to the "then" rather than the "now"... before this gets locked. I'd love to read the discussions to this interesting topic... Looking forward to the experts.

As far as I recall from my sparse history lessons in Greek schools on topics other than Antiquity and Byzantium, the inner political turmoil (Young Turk movement) and being on the wrong side of the fence in the major conflicts were the reasons that broke the camel's back... But I'll be happily educated by anyone else. :)

Same here.  I don't know enough about the economics of it all to really comment intelligently.  For example, if it became a conflict between British ships and Turkish oil, what then?  I'm guessing that all of the other great powers (maybe not Russia) would have become the Sultan's instant friends, or would they have just tried to partition the empire immediately, and divided up the middle eastern oil reserves?

I also await the experts.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »
I also await the experts.

Real experts will tell you there isn't much of a point in having amateur historians debate dubious "what if" scenarios with the benefit of hindsight. Frankly, this is the sort of discussion that is best left to TMP, where the local crowd will lap it up. 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »
Amen to that.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
Real experts will tell you there isn't much of a point in having amateur historians debate dubious "what if" scenarios with the benefit of hindsight. Frankly, this is the sort of discussion that is best left to TMP, where the local crowd will lap it up. 

I'm well aware that the title of this forum involves "Lead Adventures", but I would have thought that a little historical discussion would not be out of place.  As to dubious "what if" scenarios with the benefit of hindsight, well guy, you just pretty much defined this hobby.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »
Gaming-related historical discussions, however far-fetched, aren't out of place here. Pseudo-historical topics with high flame-war potential are.

And you, boyo, come perilously close to behaving like a creature straight out of a Scandinavian folk tale, as others here have told you before.  

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »

Wish i could debate that... but I can't.  It's not why I left TMP but it is a good reason to have considered it earlier...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »
Easy there... When I said "experts" I meant people who might have read a book or two on the subject (which I haven't'), not purist historians. I meant the kind of experts that have been populating this forum for a while now and are always keen to share their knowledge and every now and again venture into areas a historian wouldn't even touch with a ten foot pole!

Now, if you want to talk about what historians will or will not debate and who is telling whom off, you are welcome to do so, but I believe this thread has a valid topic that is discussable among virtual buddies.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:00:19 PM by Remington »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
Gaming-related historical discussions, however far-fetched, aren't out of place here. Pseudo-historical topics with high flame-war potential are.

Arthur, I think I know what you mean but it's nothing wrong with an occasional pseudo-historical discussion here on LAF as long as it doesn't become flammable. Gloriousbattle did start some odd threads on LAF, indeed, and one or two have been locked already. This one isn't that bad as long as we stay in the 19th century and "what if" scenarios.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
I dont see the part where this discussion could be flameble? I also wonder why "What If" scenarious should not be valid amongst historians, I have had many, very interesting and fruitful, discussions with lectors at the university (studying art history, history, economical history) conserning various situations or places where the current institutions of a given area could have developed differently with different influences etc etc.
It is a way to understand a historical context, perhaps a bit like the very sucsessful colaborations between different institution on the university, say perhaps economical history and social anthropology? Interdisciplinarity many times leads to models where you will discuss situations that perhaps have a fictional input to yield results that can be studied.
An example is the situation (and miss use) of Germanys ME262 during WWII, this is one subject that is discussed at length at various military schools.

Besides, "What If" stuff is fun :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:48:15 PM by Galland »
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:19 AM »
Anyone here read the 'Leviathan' young adult steampunk/dieselpunk series? I picked the books up because I like the illustrator who did the interior art. The series is geared toward young adults but they're actually kind of interesting and have some gameable ideas. The Ottoman Empire plays a role in the second book as Germany and Britain vie for an alliance, and there is a pretty sweet sequence with a Tesla cannon. Not sure what happens in the third... I have it, but haven't read it. Anyway, it's a fantasy what-if including the Ottomans, so I thought I'd pipe up  ;)

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/

http://scottwesterfeld.com/books/leviathan/

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »
Anyone here read the 'Leviathan' young adult steampunk/dieselpunk series? I picked the books up because I like the illustrator who did the interior art. The series is geared toward young adults but they're actually kind of interesting and have some gameable ideas. The Ottoman Empire plays a role in the second book as Germany and Britain vie for an alliance, and there is a pretty sweet sequence with a Tesla cannon. Not sure what happens in the third... I have it, but haven't read it. Anyway, it's a fantasy what-if including the Ottomans, so I thought I'd pipe up  ;)

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/

http://scottwesterfeld.com/books/leviathan/

I avoided that because I was afraid it was all illustration and no story, but I take it that it is pretty good?