Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vikings on the History Channel  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: Vikings on the History Channel
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »
You can only watch Hulu stuff from the states, I just went to their site.  If I were more tech-savvy I would do something like rerouting my IP to a US address or something to access the tv shows and stuff, but that takes too much effort and would result in me watching too much tv...

I did find a site that has it, though it also has a plethora of less-savoury videos as well.  I might just have to reinstall utorrent until I can get it reasonably without subscribing to cable TV...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:59:04 AM »
This is not good... now I want to make a viking warband... to go with my saxons, arthurians, irish, and scots among others...  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 07:23:02 AM »
I wasn't blown away by the first episode...but that's from a plot/character position.  I don't like the main guy just yet.  However, the quality of production looks top notch.  I'll definitely watch the rest of the season.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
I wasn't blown away by the first episode...but that's from a plot/character position.  I don't like the main guy just yet.  However, the quality of production looks top notch.  I'll definitely watch the rest of the season.

He is too soft for me if he is going to be anything like the real Ragnar (or at least the Ragnar from the literature) he needs to not be such a nice father/husband.

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Speaking of which, DO we have any active Icelandic members on the forum...?

Mike Demana

I am, but live in Canada. Last I checked the miniature scene in Iceland was just GW products with a high mark up price so it is not very popular.

I can't speak for anywhere else but here in Ontario you can watch the first episode on the History Channel website.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:37:01 PM by vonplutz »

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »
I just tried and it says it is unavailable for me... I am also in Ontario  :(

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
I just tried and it says it is unavailable for me... I am also in Ontario  :(

Odd. I'm in Toronto and have no problem on Bell internet.

Offline Operon

• Student
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
I recommend Amazon.  $2 (not sure what the Canadian equivalent is) is not bad for one episode.  It’s just a little more than what you would pay to rent from Redbox and significantly less than what it costs to rent a new release from Blockbuster online or a brick and mortar store (if you can even find one).

Amazon gives you the option to store it online on their cloud drive indefinitely.  In addition, you can download it directly to a device of your choice.  You also get a discount if you pre-pay for the whole season. 

I did this with the first season of the Walking Dead when I did not have cable or even a television.  I think I ended up paying $1.50 for each episode and they were available the day after the show aired on TV.  I’m sure Apple has something equivalent. 

Sure, no one likes to pay for something that is otherwise free, but at such as low cost for 45 minutes of entertainment, it seems like a good deal.
Hope this helps

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
Odd. I'm in Toronto and have no problem on Bell internet.

Aha!  I was on history.com not history.ca. Good to clear that up!

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
He is too soft for me if he is going to be anything like the real Ragnar (or at least the Ragnar from the literature) he needs to not be such a nice father/husband.

Well, that's the thing. I believe they foreshadowed that when Loki told his son that he had Ragnar's eyes. He said that he would try to be like Ragnar, and he wouldn't like that.

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
Well, that's the thing. I believe they foreshadowed that when Loki told his son that he had Ragnar's eyes. He said that he would try to be like Ragnar, and he wouldn't like that.

Yup and I foresee the show becoming about his sons and his relationships with them. On the other hand the fact they say his wife is a shield maiden hints at Ragnar's second wife being descended of a valkyrie thus making the current wife not Bjorn's mother but Ivar's, the one Ragnar raped. Wasn't much love there.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »
You guys have a link to good reading about what history tells us about Ragnar and his adventures?  I generally know 'about' vikings, but that's about it...

Online Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 03:36:32 AM »
I liked what I watched.
Look forward to seeing the rest.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
You guys have a link to good reading about what history tells us about Ragnar and his adventures?  I generally know 'about' vikings, but that's about it...

Haven't read this specific translation but here is Ragnar's saga.

http://www.turbidwater.com/portfolio/downloads/RagnarsSaga.pdf