Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ainsty Castings resin scenery - does the smell disappear ?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Ainsty Castings resin scenery - does the smell disappear ?
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »
I just bought some Ainsty Castings scenery. The resin still does have a strong smell (styrene I think, could this indicate that there's no complete polymerisation due to not enough katalyst in the mix?), is slightly sticky in some parts and rather brittle (a thin part of a crate broke of when I washed the piece - just hot water, no soap or other chemicals used).

I never had similar experiences with resin pieces from other manufacturers (TSS, Pardulon, JR Miniatures, Matagot, Fenryll,...) which all were completely odorless.

Is this 'standard' for the Ainsty resins, and can I go ahead an prime/paint the pieces or should I let the pieces 'air out' for some time ?

Thanks for any hints/tips/
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline MODman

• Librarian
Re: Ainsty Castings resin scenery - does the smell disappear ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
i am not too experienced with resin, i will say from memory though that i have bought ainsty stuff and it did have that odour, i never got round to painting as i am a collector and things tend to sit in boxes for years, the smell does lessen, i think maybe contacting ainsty is the way to go

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
I own quite a few resin miniatures from Ramshackle games. They also smell quite badly, but once they are base-coated the smell disappears. Burt when you are in doubt I would just e-mail Ainstey.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
The fact that is still slightly sticky is a worry.  Get in touch with AInsty.  I have some resin items from another manufacturer in the shed that will not take undercoat, not even Rustcote, it just peels off.......................
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »
Brittle and sticky doesnt sound right. I agree with the above comments. Get in touch with Ainsty. They have very good customer service and should sort you out.

Ive had 'smelly' resin before and found it goes after a good clean up. Wash with warm water and washing up liquid(dish soap). Rinse in clean water then give it a gentle scrub with white spirit,(mineral spirit). Let it air dry for 24 hours. The white spirit will evaporate completely. Dont touch it with bare hands until painted. Halfords aerosol primer sticks realy well to resin. If your primer/undercoat doesnt stick now you may have a problem.
Minima maxima sunt

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »
I love the smell of Ainsty in the morning.

Drop Andy a line, he'll sort you out.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
It sounds like they haven't fully cured, and leaving them a couple of days should sort it. Not a big problem, I've had it a few times and reflects the makers desire to get it to you quickly more than anything else. But as Uti says, drop him a line.

Offline Ainsty Castings

• Bookworm
    • Ainsty Castings
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
Just stumbled over this, PM me and I will happily replace the broken pieces.

No problemo!
www.ainsty-castings.co.uk   Resin Scenics and Accessories for Gamers

Bringing Worlds to Life

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
Just stumbled over this, PM me and I will happily replace the broken pieces.

No problemo!

No need really, fixing it was within my (limited) skill range. FYI, the smell disappeared after a couple of days and priming.