Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Dangerous Dames (Calimero) vs. Arnor before the War (Old Coast)

Dangerous Dames (Calimero)
25 (5.7%)
Arnor before the War (Old Coast)
413 (94.3%)

Total Members Voted: 432

Voting closed: April 08, 2012, 12:45:47 PM

Author Topic: Round 5 - Dangerous Dames vs. Arnor before the War  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 5 - Dangerous Dames vs. Arnor before the War
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
Re: Round 5 - Dangerous Dames vs. Arnor before the War
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »
A very nicely composed photo Old Coast!

Well done.

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »
Fantastic painting Old Coast! :D
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »
I like the Dangerous Dames as figures, and the color schme is good.

However, they are flat. I don't know if that was a specific look you were going for, or if you ran out of time and simply didn't get them finished - that is why I have never enterd a LPL competition, fear that I would have to put something less than my best due to time constraints. Anyway, some shading and highlighting would go a long way to helping them win my vote, at any rate.
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »
...However, they are flat. I don't know if that was a specific look you were going for...

IIRC all of Calimero's figures are like this.  I've always assumed it's style thing.  Crisp and clean, no blacklining.  I rather like them.   :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
IIRC all of Calimero's figures are like this.  I've always assumed it's style thing.  Crisp and clean, no blacklining.  I rather like them.   :)

Me too. It's a clean, neat style all of his own. Makes no concessions to fancier painting styles, and I'm sure looks good on the tabletop.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 07:52:55 AM »
i think, too, it is a conscious desicion, therefore a style thing. Them faces do not look like "unfinished buisiness". However, though I voted for them this time, to me it also looks that way. It definitely is a style all on its own!

And actually I am not sure, if there isn't some shading with the Lady in red! But whatever the motive, I guess these minis will have - due to their excellently smooth painting - their perfect "source-lightings" always with them when on the gaming-table.

These minis really have more professionalism on them, then seen on a first glance! I really would like to have them under my magnifier for a much closer look.  :o

best wishes
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 02:11:56 PM »
Thanks all for the nice comments…

Now, I didn’t submit "unfinished" figures in the LPL, I had no problem reaching the deadline. In fact, I’ve send my 6 firsts entries to the Prof. on the day of registration… I think that the main problem is bad picture. My photography skills seem to go bad to worst each time I try to take a picture of my minis… Most of the minis I’ve painted recently have been sold to different people, some of whom are members of this great forum, and a comment that I often get is that my figures "look a lot better in reality than on pictures".

As for the shading and highlight I don’t always (rarely) use them, especially on Pulp Figures miniatures. Someone, I don’t recall who, use the term ligne claire (like Hergé’s drawings) to describe my painting style and I think it best describe it. I guess it’s all down to personal taste in the end.

I think that Old Coast’s entry is better than mine on several levels especially pictures taking and composition. The painting style is different than mine obviously but still great. I do like them a lot. He use highlight and shading and I don’t, that’s all… and most of all, I don’t feel any shame losing to his excellent work, I’m use to it. That’s LPL and that’s a friendly competition.

Vote for the entry you think is best, LPL is for FUN, not fame ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:09:48 AM »
Someone, I don’t recall who, use the term ligne claire (like Hergé’s drawings) to describe my painting style and I think it best describe it.
Finally I have a name for it! Now I knew another style!
Foundry, "Rackhamial" and Hergé ...

I guess that makes this special charme of Your minis.

But to me it is still like some vegetarian dinner. No matter how good it tastes, it always makes me want a decent juicy t-bone-steak for an add-on! However - I like to repeat, that it is worth a style name, now You've mentioned it!  :D

best wishes
Drachenklinge