Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691103
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Ring Peeps (Broonkah) vs. Fellowship (Alone_withmyaxe)

Ring Peeps (Broonkah)
19 (4.5%)
Fellowship (Alone_withmyaxe)
400 (95.5%)

Total Members Voted: 413

Voting closed: April 08, 2012, 12:56:13 PM

Author Topic: Round 5 - Ring Peeps vs. Fellowship  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 5 - Ring Peeps vs. Fellowship
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Round 5 - Ring Peeps vs. Fellowship
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
Great entries both, I especially love the wraith with the arms in the air. The fellowship in the second entry is fantastic as well! 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
Great entries both

not to be arsh with Broonkah but I think it's hard to say that the first one is a good entry. I'm not saying that it is badly painted, just saying that the picture make it impossible to know.
I really appreciate the LAF politeness but this is, after all, a paint&photograph contest. I think that some criticism more, sometime, could be very helpful and there is a way of being kind even with criticism.

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »
not to be arsh with Broonkah but I think it's hard to say that the first one is a good entry. I'm not saying that it is badly painted, just saying that the picture make it impossible to know.
I really appreciate the LAF politeness but this is, after all, a paint&photograph contest. I think that some criticism more, sometime, could be very helpful and there is a way of being kind even with criticism.

I am sorry to say I agree, having seen some of Broonkahs other models the pic does let this one down which is a shame. It looks like there is some great tones and highlights going on just impossible to see.

With that said I am really happy with my entry and thanks Pil. I think these may be some of my best painted models ever!
As per the LPL has pushed me to up my game.
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Broonkah

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
    I appreciate your comment Faber.  I make no claims to be a great painter, and am even worse as a photographer.  I almost did not enter this years LPL, with the limited number of positions and the fact I am not real competition for professionals.  I was worried some would feel I was undeserving of a spot.  
    This the third LPL for me and I have only received more votes than the entry I was paired with in one round.  But in those 25 rounds to date I have fielded 25 different entries, in doing so I feel I have won each round I am able to finish and submit an entry.  
    I do not see this as a competition with those of whom I am paired.. or even the tastes of those voting... I am competing to push myself to submit entries for myself and have fun in the process.  I have used the LPL as a form of therapy to deal with personal issues and to try to hopefully broaden what skills I possess.  I have worked on projects about which I had forgotten.  I have taken to painting some of my own backgrounds, enjoying the free-hand Mt Rushmore in Round 10 last LPL.  I enjoy making up silly names for my entries, especially the bad puns.
    Unfortunately, my photography skills are still a work in progress..... slow progress.

When I submitted my first entry three years ago, I expressed my concern that I was not "good" enough as a painter to participate.  Mr Bews responded with the encouragement that the spirit of the LPL was more in friendly participation, than in the painting skill of participants.  The LPL was more about mutual encouragement to get/continue painting.  

Again Faber,  I appreciate your "encouragement."        

Broonkah

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Broonkah, it is a pity on this one I remember your stuff from the last LPL and know that your painting skills are good. I too love the LPL for the that extra push it gives you to get stuff painted and the steady improvement of my skills through painting stuff I know will be compared to some of the great painters on the LAF.

I have put in some less then perfect pictures this year already and I am always a bit gutted that I haven't shown off my models to their best potential, because I know they are better then that. I felt that way about yours in this round as I know they are better looking then the picture shows. There is obviously some great highlights and shadows apparent and I would love to see them shown at their best.

There are a couple of great threads about Photos on the LAF it may help to have a look. This one is quite good to start.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6052.0

Good luck for the rest of the LPL.

Alone

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
   I appreciate your comment Faber.  I make no claims to be a great painter, and am even worse as a photographer.  I almost did not enter this years LPL, with the limited number of positions and the fact I am not real competition for professionals.  I was worried some would feel I was undeserving of a spot.  
    This the third LPL for me and I have only received more votes than the entry I was paired with in one round.  But in those 25 rounds to date I have fielded 25 different entries, in doing so I feel I have won each round I am able to finish and submit an entry.  
    I do not see this as a competition with those of whom I am paired.. or even the tastes of those voting... I am competing to push myself to submit entries for myself and have fun in the process.  I have used the LPL as a form of therapy to deal with personal issues and to try to hopefully broaden what skills I possess.  I have worked on projects about which I had forgotten.  I have taken to painting some of my own backgrounds, enjoying the free-hand Mt Rushmore in Round 10 last LPL.  I enjoy making up silly names for my entries, especially the bad puns.
    Unfortunately, my photography skills are still a work in progress..... slow progress.

When I submitted my first entry three years ago, I expressed my concern that I was not "good" enough as a painter to participate.  Mr Bews responded with the encouragement that the spirit of the LPL was more in friendly participation, than in the painting skill of participants.  The LPL was more about mutual encouragement to get/continue painting.  

Again Faber,  I appreciate your "encouragement."        

Broonkah

Thanks for understanding what I was meaning, Broonkah :)
LAF is a wonderful ambient full of nice, kind and really talented modellers. I think is a good place to share and learn by consequence and criticism is a powerful engine for getting better in this hobby. I'm happy you are working on your skill mate, having fun in painting and going beyond your limits. This is the most important thing.
There is no prize for LPL but glory. This do not mean that LPL isn't a competition but it is a "friendly" competition. If you partecipate it means that you want to share your works and get some feedback. This is a good thing, especially if you want to improve yourself in the hobby. So again, thanks for understanding what I was meaning :)
I'm pretty happy of my hobby results and I gladly recognize that here on LAF there's plenty of people way more talented than me. Obviously, one year ago I was a worst painter and LAFers' criticism has really helped.
SO I'd like to share a more complete criticism on your entry, even if there are for sure someone that could do it better than me.

Taking pics: I've partecipated to LPL Season 5 and I think that my photography skill was my main problem. When I came here I thought that the most important thing was the painting skill. Now I know it's only a side of the hobby: to share the quality of your painting you need to take good pics. What's the matter with your entry pic? Well, it's really dark. You need a powerful lamp to enlight the models when you take pics. This would help to solve the second problem: focus. With a good light source is easier to get the focus on the models. BTW your entry has 10 models. I think it's pretty hard to take a good pic with so many targets. I would suggest to split it into two pics. And a photo editor would be helpful to solve some further problem. There is plenty of useful threads about photogaphy in the how to section and here and there on the web too.

Painting: it seems that the bad pic really killed your painting. Agree with alone_whitmyaxe: it seems there is a good painting but it's impossible to see. It would be possible to give you a better feedback with a better pics. Now I can only say that I personally do not like a base that it's not painted. Dark knights bases seems really flat without any painting on them. The same for Gandalf&co. Green flock on a green painted base isn't so effective IMO. You could try to paint brown the bases side and add some variety on the ground. A mix of painted sand and static grass would really pop up your minis.

I hope this helps mate. I wish you best of luck for the next entries! :)
cheers
Faber