Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adventures in Hyboria with CROM  (Read 22852 times)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Re: Another Conan-Project
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
Fantastic project: I really enjoy WIP threads like this.  The selection of minis and scratch-built terrain is great and I envy your gaming chums. 

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
I underestimated the time this project takes by far! Yesterday i worked till 5:30AM to cover the buildings with filler, made cards for the special abilities and events to happen during the day, etc. All for the game today. But the buildings are not yet finished and there are a lot of planned details like market booth or tables for the inn missing. It was raining the whole day, so we couldn´t have our barbecue. Simply said it all didn´t start well!   :P

BUT i made some Chilli instead, the friends brought some snacks and we had some nice pre game talk. Although i had lost against the characters the game had been great fun to everybody. We had a great discussion afterwards what to change ruleswise. So in the end everythings turned out fine and i´m really tired and will go to bed immediately. Everybody loved CROM!

Best quote: Player: "What kind of nerdy guy does it take to design a game, where whores give you back hit points?" Me: "Oh, that was my idea!" :D

The setup. The characters just entered the city. Due to a "Säuseln in den Sphären" no magic could be used that turn.
There is a guy with outstreched hands on the roof of the house in the back. It has been a miniture a player found laying around and didn´t know where to place. It was integrated into the game at once! :D

You didn´t have to roll, but it took an action die to take up those ladders and another action to place it. The roofs were well liked because the Minions had to get into the houses to get on the roofs.

Another roof shot. Every body is heading for the inn to get some wine, except for the guy with the halberd. He took on a group of slave traders. He used his special power "Mighty Whirlwind" to attack three foes at ones. After i determinated the number defending dice he used his second special power "Sneaky Attack" to adjut his attack pool accordingly. Everybody had two special powers they could use once in the game.

As a daytime event two apes appeared and were running rampage in the city.

Serpent Man sneeking into the city...

...while the characters were somewere else.

As a night time event a zombie riot started.

Pretty busy alley! Snake warriors, zombies and an old enemy for Aquilonia!

Conan, the Detective as he was called by the other players, killed the last two zombies with a ranged attack.

We´ll change the damage of ranged attack to a 1 + 1 for every 6 and i´ll create "character classes" with some limitations to them since we think spell users are too flexible and therefore too powerful. So in the end you can choose a warrior, an archer or a spellcaster. The players and i think, that it will increase the need for group tactics. And in the next game the tavern will not give away wine for free!

Next: Into the jungle!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:55:44 AM by southheaven »
http://nftu.wordpress.com/ (german language)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »
Looks like a good game and sounds like everyone had fun. Whores for healing/dice is a perfectly acceptable thing :) anything that bolsters a character's confidence restores/adds dice. The more things you can think of the better.

Offline opa wuttke

• Bookworm
    • A fistful of heroes
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »
Great miniatures but I wondered how do you manage it to build the town within this short period  ;)

"What kind of nerdy guy does it take to design a game, where whores give you back hit points?"

Intriguing approach... :D

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
I wondered how do you manage it to build the town within this short period.
Well, as you can see i didn´t manage. ;)

Yesterday i got some painter´s knife at a Euro store so i won´t have to use ice cream stick anymore. This week i´ve been busy with our rpg group so i only have some half painted reinforcements for the ape group and some harpies.
This thread http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=10538.0 gave me the final idea how to build my jungle table. I´ll make two corner mountain pieces and a hill to be placed in the middle of the table. All three pieces will be conected by rope bridges. The two corner pieces will be able to be put together for a bigger area at the edge. And i will have a native village. Don´t know if it will be classical primitive huts or stilt huts.

I think i´ll limit non archers to 4" reach and a max of 3 dice for ranged attacks.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
What a fun looking board to play on. I love it.
The city looks great!

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
At least snakes with umbrellas are close to follow. ;)

Since i got a new job currently i´ve nearly no time for this project. :( But it is only on hold and will be continued hopefully soon.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »
Any progress on the project?

I'm loving what you've got already!

Cheers
Andy

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
That is not dead, which can eternal lie...

There is progress, but job, university und Infinity the Game all got in the way and slowed it down to a crawl. ;)

Here´s some jungle pieces i´m working on. Adding some thin layers of styrofoam makes them more three-dimensional, opposed to the flat bases most people use.

All four of the apes are finished, which i managed last year, but have been to lazy to post a picture of. You can see, what the jungle pieces will look like once they are finished.

12 warriors from the Black Kingdoms. These warriors were a quick paint job. I didn´t spend any time on the eyes or teeth.
I will do another twelve with jungle bases. I´m a little perfectionist when it comes to things like that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:45:30 AM by southheaven »

Offline luidinuovo

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
Cool,like your stuff.I understand what you mean by the term.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
Lovely looking jungle and the apes are brilliant too.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »
Just revisited this thread when I realised that I got enough stuff to do a fantasy game with Conanesque features. And I must say, this is a marvellous thread! :-*

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging comments. :) Today while watching "Ich bin ein Star – holt mich hier raus"( „I’m a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!“) i had a little test game of Songs of Blades and Heroes. Four fine young cannibals on one side and three great Apes on the other. Sadly my camera was overwhelmed by the darkness of the jungle. ;)

My new cannibals on the hunt for the great man ape. I will post better pictures soon.

It went really quick and after round 5 or 6 the cannibals killed the last ape nearly gruesome(11 to 4).

With some other projects going on, i think i´ll be glad if i´ll finish the oriental city and the jungle this year. For the jungle i´ll definitly build an aztec type temple since i need that for Freebooter´s Fate, too. Next near i´ll go for the nothern parts of Hyboria like Cimmeria, Nordheim or Hyperborea.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:27:45 PM by southheaven »

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »
So, here´s a better picture of the cannibals and some preview.

The dinosaur is from a childs toy bag full of dinos i got for 3€. And i finally managed to get some more bandits from which i only got a musician and a standard bearer so far.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
How much nice and lovely miniatures and terrain can one take. It's all happening! By the way; how makes those apes?