Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars skirmish project  (Read 14320 times)

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
Star Wars skirmish project
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
Starting on a project that I have been intending to do for quite a few years now. When the WotC Star Wars minis game came out I went crazy, collected full sets, bought a bunch of cheap singles on Ebay etc. There was one seller that had cheap shipping and had strmtroopers for $0.29 a piece, I bought hundreds of them. I was thinking about using them as a 40k army, running games at my FLGS, I picked up the West End version of the game intending to play it, pretty much everything except the actual WotC game (because it is terrible). In the end all I really did with them was a few RPG sessions and some repainted ones for fun. Until now.

Current plan is to get a small force of stormtroopers and rebels and plays done up, a small table made, and start playing Infinity with them. Infinity minis are awesome, and I own a few forces of them too, but Star Wars, man, STAR WARS! Infinity rules should match up to the setting very well for small skirmish battles. I know a lot of people use FUBAR and I certainly have enough to do that, but first I'd like to make a few armies for SW: Infinity, at least some imperials, rebels, clone troopers and seperatists, maybe a Yuuzang Vong army. It's really just a matter of matching the figures to existing statlines.

The Imperials:

But next up on the painting block are the rebles
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:35:22 AM by kalamadea »
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Star Wars skirmish project
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
Nice idea.
So, you will use existing lists for the different factions?
Like, PanOc for Stormtroopers etc, or are you planning to create your own?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
The minis are looking good!
It is always amazing what a repaint and proper base can do to the terrible pre-paints!

Keep us in the loop, I have also just started to do some repaints again(http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39946.0), so I am very interested!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
They look waaaaaay better with a repaint/rebase, for sure!  :)
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
...stormtroopers for $0.29 a piece, I bought hundreds of them.

:o I'm super jealous! (I only managed to get hold of about 30, and no speeder bikes  :'()

Looking forward to seeing the rest when they're done!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
 Nice idea using the Infinity rules.Great painting too.

Me and my son both have quite a few miniatures from the different set's.

I even have an AT-AT.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »
Good start my good man!
I caught that virus too and collected for years until I actually started painting them (mainly lead minis though).
Be inspired: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25344.0

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
Nice,

One teeny niggle re: helmet PJ's:

Put the black brow band in otherwise they look a little republican. Easy quick fix that will improve the overal look know end.

My WEG thread's out there somewhere but this is your BBQ so if you want to take a lookie loo just do a search for it.

Nice little force though, cheers for sharing.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
A few of the rebels done

and because the game rocked

For rules, yes it's a straight "counts-as" fit, although I'm gonna do a little bit of cross faction to get the right stuff. PanO does fit perfectly for stormtroopers, except for the speeder bikes which will be Haqislam Kum Troopers (the monobikes). The Jotums TAG is almost a perfect analog for the AT-ST, Miyamoto special character for the jedi characters stc. Ariadna seems to be a good fit for the rebels, even down to Dog Warrior wookies. The named characters might be a little tough, since even the official special characters in Infinity aren't really all that special compared to an elite trooper, I'm not sure how it'll feel having Han Solo being only very slightly better than a rebel commando. I may give them some extra wounds and double or triple their points cost, gonna have to play it out and see what my buddies think.

@Agis - Yeah, I was been checking out your stuff, they look great!

@Myincubliss - you can still get a lot of the figures, but they're more like $1~$3 now for singles, I'm glad I bought them when I did. You can get the clone BARC speeders for like $8 still, which isn't THAT bad considering. I made sure to pick up speeders bikes when I saw them cheap, got 3 more scout speeder bikes and 8 rebel commando speeder bikes, but I need new bases for them before I can paint them, the ones they come on are incredibly soft. Even heat bending them back into shape, the bases/stems quickly start sagging and warping. I have tons of different 40mm bases, but none really match the look of regular SWM bases and I'm a stickler for that kinda thing. Probably gonna have to break down and order get some litko ones, but their shipping prices are rediculous!

@Commander Vyper - The nice thing about painting this way is they look fine if you put them on the table as they are, and you can easily add details later. There's a number of things I'd like to do, lightening the white armor is one of them, andnow that you pointed out the banding I can't unsee it on the models. They're very much in the "rough, but totally playable" stage

One of the older figs I did for an RPG

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:52:15 PM by kalamadea »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Just waiting on Bosco to come through, (one I never got round to getting and then Agis posted his stuff back up and I got the urge again! ;)) then that's the Commando fireteam. Nice work on those BTW.

The Commander

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »
I really should be working on more rebel infantry, but I wanted to get all my speederbikes done up. Since I had to do up the bases for a few rebel commandos, I figured might as well get em all done.

These will probably take longer than any of the infantry I have left to do, even including some of the repainting that needs to be done to the rebels. For each bike I had to heat bend all the front forks in shape and reinforce them with wire so they wouldn't lose that shape (long thin bendy plastic = no bueno), cut off the old worthless bases that warp too easily. New bases are Proxie Models[/url 40mm bases into flight stands with some steel nails that were melted into place and then cut down to length, vallejo grey pumice, some shale, paint and static grass. Nothing terribly difficult, but took all my spare time the last few days. It's something I've been planning on doing for 6 years or so, always nice to knock a project like that off your list :)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »
 Great update.The Rebels look amazing.That is a lot of speeder bikes.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »
Hey man...
but Star Wars, man, STAR WARS!
  :D

I love what you have done to this, and have been looking for a suitable Star Wars Wargaming rules set, and perhaps Infinity is the way to go, if not, its a beutiful looking game, so wouldent be bad to have in the bookshelf anyway heh.

It will be really interesting to see where you go with this and I will follow this with great interest.

Sonny

Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »
nice ink!

Infinity is really a great system for sci-fi skirmish. It's fairly realistic in terms of ranges and getting shot usually = death, even with heavy armor. Cover and lots of LOS blocking terrain are incredibly important because of that, and it has a great reaction system that keeps both players actively playing the entire time. There's a lot of stuff that, thematically,  won't fit with Star Wars, but it's all stuff you can simply not field in your games or not use like TO camo or hacking, both of which are in SW but not nearly so prevalent as in Infinity. I think the biggest problem with using it is that it's a little too in depth, the basic system isn't too bad, but there's a LOT of special rules to keep track of. But, Corvus belli knows that most people are going to want their gorgeous models, so they put up the rules and army lists for free, they even have a free army builder program that works wonderfully.

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/downloads/ rules and lists
http://www.infinitythegame.com/dt_army/index.html online army builder program

It's easy enough for now to just print out an armybuilder list and say "stormtroopers are ORC troops, scout troopers are Bagh-mari, AT-ST is a JOTUMS" etc, but I may go through and rewrite the armylist sections to make it easier on people to get into, Infinity can be confusing enough without double-checking every single thing to see what counts as what
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:21:56 AM by kalamadea »