Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689596
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestion for an idea  (Read 2371 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Suggestion for an idea
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Now obviously the buck stops with the good Prof but I was wondering if a separate board could be added to the 'Other stuff' section that would enable all the web companies to advertise new releases or sales etc in one place.

I think this would be beneficial as not only they would all be in the same place but people might find something they like that they wouldn't normally see if it was on a period specific board.

What do you chaps think (especially the Prof  :) )?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Suggestion for an idea
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:11 AM »
Wouldn’t make much sense in my opinion, James, the releases advertising belongs to appropriate boards. If one is interested in Pulp so he’s reading Pulp board but not a Web Companies Advertising one, at least that’s what my logic tells me :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
I understand that way of looking at it but it occurred to me the other day that there are some entries on the bazaar and some in the appropriate board (and occasionally not). I just though it might be an idea to keep all the 'shop' entries in one place.

If not then no problem  :)

cheers

James

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »
If there are ones in the bazaar then they are in the wrong place and ought to be moved out. The bazaar is for members' private buying and selling, not company announcements.

Speaking as the Colonial Adventures guy, if there are new colonial products being released by a company, I want the announcement to be in Colonial Adventures if at all possible. Having them in the pertinent board seems the most sensible option to me. I don't really want to have to check out a new board that is largely going to be full of stuff I'm not interested in, just to find the stuff I am interested in.

Time was that the LAF was small enough that I could read every post, and so it didn't much matter where things were kept. But the site has grown and those days are long gone, so I think perhaps it's best to keep everything in its thematic grouping, so you don't have to go hunting on another board for it, and perhaps miss it altogether.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:38:35 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »
I am a member of a 1/6 scale board, where they do as James suggests, it works very well.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
I am a member of a 1/6 scale board, where they do as James suggests, it works very well.

Everything works in some way or another. This suggestion aims to create a sort of small LAF-based "TMP/TGN" clone, featuring miniature news. Nothing what I wanted LAF to be.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
No worries Alex  :)

cheers

James

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »

Speaking as the Colonial Adventures guy, if there are new colonial products being released by a company, I want the announcement to be in Colonial Adventures if at all possible. Having them in the pertinent board seems the most sensible option to me. I don't really want to have to check out a new board that is largely going to be full of stuff I'm not interested in, just to find the stuff I am interested in...

While that sounds perfectly sensible, there's a problem with it in that we might not all have the same idea about what 'Colonial' means. An obvious examplem would be Foundry re-branding their Victorian minis as 'Steampunk'. Same minis, which might include Darkest Africa (I'd call that Colonial, or at least 'suitable for colonial gamning') but they're branded as Steampunk so they belong on the VSF board now I believe. A couple of months ago, and they'd have been in 'Other Adventures'. On the other hand, a good many would be equally suitable for Pulp adventures. Sure, we all know about Foundry and the Darkest Africa range, but the point remains, and more is applicable precisely to those ranges we don't know.

I saw someone had posted some pics of Central European (maybe Hungarian?) houses on the 'Age of the Big Battalions' board. Personally, I'd think the biggest audience would have been in Gothic Horror - that's where I'd look for people doing 'Transylvanian' style games, which I guess would beatr historical gamers doing Hungary 1701-1800. At a guess. But from an 'historical' point of view Age of the Big Batalions makes more sense.

So it'sabout what constitutes 'pertinent' really. We don't all judge that the same, either in terms of whether 'this thing' relates to what we're interested in, or if it does, whether it also (or even more so) relates to 'that thing' that we're not interested in. And, of course, multiple posting isn't allowed, if you have some announcement that can appeal to VSF, Pulp, Colonial, Cthulhu and Gothic Horror, or some similar combination.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
Everything works in some way or another. This suggestion aims to create a sort of small LAF-based "TMP/TGN" clone, featuring miniature news. Nothing what I wanted LAF to be.

I see, then its all clear.