Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HYW question  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Rhodes

• Assistant
HYW question
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:51:29 AM »
I was interested in purchasing some HYW figures, specifically for the mid to late 14th century (I was inspired by reading about John of Gaunt's raid).  I like the look of Front Rank, but wasn't sure if those would do for the earlier part of the HYW.  Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Re: HYW question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:43:21 AM »
If you search ebay etc. you may find some of the Perry sculpts for Foundry, but I would avoid their new range like the plague  :o

The Front Rank range look just fine to me for early through to mid HYW, but rather than spend hours searching the internet etc. try dropping them an email for some advice on specific sculpts as some are in armour that would place them closer to c.1400.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
If you search ebay etc. you may find some of the Perry sculpts for Foundry, but I would avoid their new range like the plague  :o

Yep, the new Foundry Sculpts aren't a jot on the older ones. You could also go for the old Bretonnian range the Perry's did for Games Workshop- you'll find them on ebay from time to time.

The Front Rank range look just fine to me for early through to mid HYW, but rather than spend hours searching the internet etc. try dropping them an email for some advice on specific sculpts as some are in armour that would place them closer to c.1400.

Quite right, most manufacturers are pretty helpfull so go for it!

Don't forget Claymore Castings who are doing a range for the latter stages of the Scottish Wars of Independence but all the mini'a are usefull up to about 1415:

http://www.claymorecastings.co.uk/

More on this thread on the SDF too:

http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29581&start=0

Darrell.

Offline Rhodes

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  :)

Chris

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
+1 on Claymore - a very promising range

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »

For one strange moment there, I thought you meant avoid the Perry new range ... though it is explicitly Agincourt and after, of course.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
For one strange moment there, I thought you meant avoid the Perry new range ... though it is explicitly Agincourt and after, of course.

It is, but many of the sculpts will also work for the decades leading up to the 1415 campaign - especially archers, crossbowmen, spearmen etc. IMHO the twins lean quite heavily on the illustrations in Matt Bennett's Osprey. Not that that's a bad thing as it's an excellent piece of research - best read in conjunction with Anne Curry's book to get an alternative view.

Regards,