Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:49:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Rough Future Skirmish Project - Another space gnoll 2/8/18  (Read 49761 times)

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Re: A Post-Apoc Necromunda Project. Painted scavenger 20/7
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
Thanks, Diakon! The shotgun is from maxmini - you can specify which type you want if you are after the same style :)

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Re: A Post-Apoc Necromunda Project. Updated 23/7
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »
Today's update is Ralston (almost) done. I'm out of matte varnish, so I can't do any gloss or blood effects until I get more, and can't attach him to the base yet either, but he's most of the way there now. His right eye got obliterated a bit by the photo, but honestly is okay in real life. Not sure what happened! Hope you like anyway.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Re: A Post-Apoc Necromunda Project. Painted scavenger 20/7
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
I'm taking part in a competition on another forum to produce some terrain using cookie packaging - the end product is going to be some hive / post-apoc terrain, so I thought someone might be interested on here too :)

Here's my original products:

And here's how it's all looking so far:

I've never really done much plasticard work before, and it's turning out to be really fun! Can you guess what it'll be yet?

I'd love any feedback, and more to come soon.
Tom

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: A Post-Apoc Necromunda Project. Cookie packet terrain 7/8
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Some sort of generator?

I'm interested to see how this turns out, but isn't the cookie packaging a bit flimsy?
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »
Hey Steve, thanks for the comment! You're right - The packaging is thin as anything, but I filled it with plaster to give it some bulk. You could smash bricks with it now if you wanted!  lol

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
Won't someone miss their insulin/morphine/werewolf syrum or whatever medication it is in that bottle?   lol

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
Some of the 'Girl Scout Cookies' have similar packing, though rounder, and you can't help but think, Star Wars generators!

Squared like that, almost looks like a transport, though that's less 'terrain'.

I've some that veggies come in that look like shipping containers.

Still too thin to trust. Problem with heat from curing plaster?

I thought about using low expansion foam sealant, but the plastic's thin enough, would still bow it out.

Doug

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
Thanks for the interest guys!

@Papa Spanky - I was wondering when someone would ask about that! Not to worry, it's expired werewolf serum. Would do more harm than good to take, honest ;)

@The Beast - Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to keep an eye out for girl scout cookies, though to be honest I'm not sure we get them on my side of the pond. I was surprised by how useful a lot of different containers are when you start looking at them closely though! The plaster didn't seem to do any damage to the package, though I didn't even think of the heat! I was using excess plaster while making other moulds, so only pouring it in little bits at a time - perhaps that allowed for a more controlled temperature. A happy accident! I'll have to try the expanding foam next time though.

Not too much to report today, just some progress on the door. All done with the box cardboard!

Hope you enjoy :)

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
Re: A Post-Apoc Necromunda Project. Cookie packet terrain 11/8
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »
Ace thread. Cracking terrain and minis!  :-*
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Re: A Post-Apoc Necromunda Project. Cookie packet terrain 11/8
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »
Thanks a ton, Matt! Really kind to say  :D

A bit more of an in depth view today! The setting I'm going for is a storage centre / pipeline control platform on a floating industrial platform. It's fallen a long way into disrepair, and may have picked up a squatter or two over time! Still very WiP, but here's how my cookie terrain is looking right now:

I'm planning on using it for necro terrain, so single models can pass behind where Scratch is standing to utilise the pipes for cover, or climb up on top of the storage building for a better, though more exposed view. The whole lot will be floating in a swampy sump when I'm done!

Here's what I still need to do before painting:

A - A rubber band fan belt for the generator. Is it clear how it's supposed to work? I didn't think wind would be too reliable a resource in some areas of the hive, and this seemed to me like a fairly reliable power siphon :D

B - A proper fitting for attaching the water wheel to the platform - it's just tacked in place for now so that I can paint it seperately.

C - Tons of gap filling - I've left sorting the edges til last because I wasn't sure where i'd be attaching platforms until recently!

D - Entrance walkway

E - Basing! Hopefully a sump full of detritus in the style of Neil's recent amazing work, though it sounds like it'll take some doing...

F - A tatty awning over the doorway - as part of the comp I need to use some of the cellophane that came with the cookies. No clue on how it'll paint up though  :-X

G - Cabling to attach the generator to the storage centre. Gotta do something with all that power!

And finally, a little more progress on a den for the owner's pet!

So lots still to do in my few days off, but I hope you like it now that you can see a little more clearly where I'm going!

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
Re: A Post-Apoc Necromunda Project. Progress on a sump platform 12/8
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
Oh that is a fantastic start. What are those pipes and where did you get them?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2012, 08:47:48 PM »

@The Beast - Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to keep an eye out for girl scout cookies, though to be honest I'm not sure we get them on my side of the pond. I was surprised by how useful a lot of different containers are when you start looking at them closely though! The plaster didn't seem to do any damage to the package, though I didn't even think of the heat! I was using excess plaster while making other moulds, so only pouring it in little bits at a time - perhaps that allowed for a more controlled temperature. A happy accident! I'll have to try the expanding foam next time though.

I suppose you call them 'biscuits'.  :D

I'm sure I've seen euro snacks so packed, though it might be hard to tell from the outside. Heck, it's hard to tell anything about the contents...  >:(

Hope you enjoy :)

No fear that!

Doug

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
That is looking great.  :-*

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
That looks fantastic! I just put away all my Platformer stuff because it was distracting my from another project. Now that I see what you're doing with it I'm tempted to dig it out again. This project is infectious. (which is fitting for a swamp scene)

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
@Papa Spanky - Thank you! The pipes are plaster casts of a Hirst Arts mold. The molds are a little pricy, but if you use the parts a lot, they're fantastic for building unique terrain on the cheap. Plus the gent who runs it is a really nice guy!

@Doug - Indeed I would! You guys use that to describe sourdough or soda bread or something, right?  ;D
I'm sure I've seen similar packaging to what you're describing around here too though, so I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks again for the help!

@Matt - Thank you! That's very kind  :D

@Michka - Thanks a ton for the kind words! I absolutely love the Pegasus kits - they're a huge pain to put together, but you can really do anything with them - I've wanted to do a floating industrial wasteland for aaages and they're ideal. I hope you can do something similar!

Sort of relevant update! A friend of mine, Neil (neil101 on Dakka Dakka), very kindly gave me the recipe for his awesome sump, and I've been trying to do something similar. This is a test piece - not the base that my terrain will go on, but a test ground that will do as a mini pool for some later terrain. I've got the first few layers down (still 3 or 4 to go!). Hope you like!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:34:40 AM by Scarper »