Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pimp my Standees part 3: BattleTech  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pimp my Standees part 3: BattleTech
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
Main thread:

Pimp my Standees! Hub thread for my cardboard miniatures

This is the third part of my ongoing series of articles concerning the way I make and use paper standees.

BattleTech... One of those classic games from the mid-80s that is pretty much the definition of "Nostalgia" for many gamers worldwide, as it was BattleTech (originally BattleDroids before LucasFilms forced FASA to change it) what many people remember as the game that first brought them into contact with wargaming.

The same is true for me, with games being played every week during summer youth camps and many more matches before and after.

Of particular importance to many enthusiasts are the so-called "Unseen" Mechs based on RobotTech, Macross and possibly other Japanese mecha franchises. You know what I'm talking about... The fearsome Marauder, the twin-PPC Warhammer, versatile Phoenix Hawk and a bunch of others.

These designs were included with the edition of the game I first played with, but unfortunately not long after FASA could no longer use them due to some license mess-up. For many fans, however, they remain firmly set in the collective memory as the classic Mechs that made BattleTech what it is today.

Fast forward to late 2011 when I rediscovered my love for BattleTech. I wanted to fight big battles with ten or more mechs on each side plus armor and infantry support. The classic rules are far too detailed for these kinds of engangements, but luckily the recently released Tactical Operations includes a sub-ruleset called QuickStrike that speeds up play tremendously. Now all I had to find were a lot of Mechs. Miniatures were out of the question because they cost about 10 dollars per Mech, which at this scale is far too expensive. So again using Standees would be the solution. Several BattleTech editions, including the original one, came with a bazillion of cardboard standees with mech images printed on them in full colour, but those are very expensive today and hard to find because they have been OOP for decades.

Luckily, one generous dude on the BoardGameGeeks forums responded to my needs and send me both BattleTech:Reinforcements sets 1 and 2 with all cardboard counters from the normal game as well as more for OmniMechs and others. He even included the counters from one of the newer editions which have none of the Unseens, but updated designs of some of the less problematic Mechs.

I scanned the images and included them in my template as usual, while also changing the base shape from the usual octagon to the BattleTech-specific hexagon.

I also built a lot of cardboard buildings of different types, available freely on the web.

Of course, I still haven't played with them yet, because other projects took preference over time :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:42:58 PM by Cherno »

Offline srw1417

• Schoolboy
Re: Pimp my Standees part 3: BattleTech
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:36:12 AM »
Could you get me his e-mail address? I'd love to contact him for these files!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pimp my Standees part 3: BattleTech
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »
I always loved the unseen Battletech mechs...then again I love Robotech, so it was double-robot goodness.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!