Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Starting with ATZ  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Finality

• Schoolboy
Starting with ATZ
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:15:49 AM »
Hi All,

After quite a hiatus from the tabletop I'm looking to get back into things with some ATZ solo play. My question is this: should I be picking up just ATZ:Better Dead than Zed, or are Haven and I, Zombie pretty much must haves as well?

Thanks for your input.

Finality

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
Re: Starting with ATZ
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »
Hello,

I went with other rules myself, so I don't have ATZ, but as I've been told, ATZ:BDTZ is enough. Or at least, enough to start with. Haven is book with scenarios and I, zombie introduces some changes to the play and other zombies, like ragers and smart ones. If I am correct, there is also a free PDF for some big worm thing, if you're in that kind of monsters.

Hope this helps,
Mathyoo

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
ATZ:BDTZ is all you need. I haven't got Haven but haven't missed it either, and the only thing from I, Zombie that is neat are the optional building rules, but those are also available for free. Possibly the PEF rules, but I never used them either. The whole I, Zombie thing about hanging around in that city and meeting random people is just too much rolling dice and no real storytelling for me. Also, pretty much all of the material included in I,Z is designed for that particular town, so if you don't wanna play there, you have to do a lot of converting.

tl;dr: Buy ATZ:BDTZ and be happy  8)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »
Pretty much what others have said. Haven gives some good scenarios and seeds for ideas of scenario based play. I, Zombie isn't really a must have either. Pretty mcuh everything you'll need is in the basic book but you wouldn't be disappointed with Haven or I, Zombie either as they expand the basic game nicely.

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
Better Dead Than Zed is a good place to start. You could also do a free download of Chain Reaction: Final Version as an additional resource. It has many of the same rules introduced in the later ATZ books.

Offline Finality

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the info guys ;)

I'll just start off with BDTZ then, and perhaps think about I, Zombie over time, as the appeal of more 28 days later styled zombies is strong.

Finality

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys ;)

I'll just start off with BDTZ then, and perhaps think about I, Zombie over time, as the appeal of more 28 days later styled zombies is strong.

Finality

I have all three. The second and third books add more options for campaign play, including solo campaigns. I like having the material they add. For a starter campaign I'm not so sure you need it right away. When it comes to PEFs (Possible Enemy Forces).... I would seriously consider using them.

Are you a Blog reader? Have you seen Vampifan's blog? It is my favorite ATZ centric blog out there, although I read a few more consistently.

http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.com/