Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Skinwalker Raid 15mm (Mikedemana) vs. More Bad Cows (Alone_withmyaxe)

Skinwalker Raid 15mm (Mikedemana)
419 (89.5%)
More Bad Cows (Alone_withmyaxe)
49 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 466

Voting closed: April 29, 2012, 01:41:13 PM

Author Topic: Round 8 - Skinwalker Raid 15mm vs. More Bad Cows  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 8 - Skinwalker Raid 15mm vs. More Bad Cows
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Round 8 - Skinwalker Raid 15mm vs. More Bad Cows
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
Love the weathering on your weapons, Axe! What colors/technique do you use? I'd like to try it out...

Good luck!

Mike Demana

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
15mm?! Wow!  :o
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Charbroil Beefcake

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »
Mike:

Absolutely Fantastic!  Great colors, detail is amazing, and a great setting and concept. 
Thanks for the 15 mm eyecandy!

Charbroil Beefcake

Offline miros

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
Mike,

Great job on doing the patterns on each type of animal fur.

Jason

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »
Thanks, folks!  I appreciate the comments.  I really enjoy painting those Splintered Light Miniatures. It is true that some of them are a tad larger than standard "human' 15's (like the bear and wolverine), but the prairie dog, wildcat and coyote are all definitely towered over by my 28mm figs next to them on my painting desk.

There are so many different types of animals to choose from, too.  I went through and cataloged my collection yesterday because I'd bought a number of the sets that contain multiple types.  I have lots of pine martens, hedgehogs, jungle rats and more squirrels than I know what to do with!

Mike Demana

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
Love the weathering on your weapons, Axe! What colors/technique do you use? I'd like to try it out...

Good luck!

Mike Demana

Thanks Mike, I really love your stuff I remember seeing it in earlier rounds and thinking how good it is. I have to say being asked how I manage to achieve a painting technique may just be the top highlight of my LPL this year!

It is a really simple application of washes really. I use GW paints mostly, and the paints I use are now out of production, so that wont help! But any way. I base coat them in a metallic, this case I think it was Boltgun. Then I wash in with a combination of a dark brown metallic and a bright rust orange. I usually mix them a little, though not completely as the orange gives a nice base to the metallic. I will the spread and spot the weapons with patches of the pure paint. I always apply the patches when still wet as it gives a nice natural spread. Then a blob or two of the orange in a few places again when wet gives a nice spread and looks like old rust on the blades. Once dry I might wash in a little silver to give a little shine back, and that is it!

If you would like to know more I will try and pop a quick how too in the workbench.

:)

Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Frank

• LPL Champion (S5,S8) Bronze Medalist (S6)
  • Mad Scientist
    • My TableTop Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
I really love those Splintered Land Miniatures! Is there also a 28mm range of that topic?

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »
Splintered Light makes figures labelled "13-18mm," but like I said, they vary in size.  So, if you want to mix them with 28mm figs, then simply stick to the larger, beefier animals.  The biggest are the bears, wolverines, and badgers.  For example, here are some "soles of feet to eyes" measurements for ones I've posted above or on the Round 4 "Hungry Games" entry:

Bear - 28mm
Wolverine - 19mm
Coyote - 20mm
Badger - 17mm
Wildcat - 16mm
Beaver - 15mm
Prairie Dog - 13mm
Skunk - 16mm

Let me know if there are any types you want a size measurement for...
Check out their website below, though.  The ones I like best are from the Druid's Children range (though the armored bears are found in the "Bear Clan" range).
http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/

Axe: You did a great job describing the technique.  I will definitely try it out, though I don't have the exact same colors.  The concepts should be the same.  I have a "Boltgun metal" (which I actually use a highlight for Iron Wind Steel on my muskets).  I'll experiment.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »
Great job both of you guys! Especially impressed with your freehand, Mike. They're little chaps. =)

Regarding the size, I did a comparison shot between an old 28mm Citadel goblin (by Bob Olley) next to some of the SL Druid's Children (also by Bob Olley).

Conclusion? The animals will work fine as opponents for 28mm gobbos. :D The gobbo is on a 25mm wide washer and the animals are on 20mm wide washers.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »
Great job on those models Mike, I was expecially impressed by the shields as well, even more so now I know how tiny they are. Alone_withmyaxe, nice job on these minotaurs, I like these models much better than the latest plastics and your paint job works very well on them 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins