Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 592464 times)

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.136 More Mowbrays
« Reply #2040 on: November 18, 2020, 05:35:16 PM »
They look so good  :-*
You’re right about the studs!

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2041 on: November 18, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
Thanks chaps :)

Thanks Matt.
Many people who make and paint these Perry plastics seem happy to ignore the studs on the figures wearing brigandines, citing the 'life's too short' defence.
Don't really understand why TBH, because touching in the studs is simplicity itself and really makes those particular figures pop, as you've noticed.
A fine point brush, a touch of metallic paint, and then 'plip, plip, plip' right across the figure, front and back - just one tiny touch with the silver or gold on each stud, and that's it. Honestly, it takes no more than a minute or two on each figure, and the effect is transformational. It's a much quicker, easier, and more immediately satisfying painting job than many of the other aspects of painting these models lol

But each to their own ;)

Ok, fine, i'll do it! I've got a batch of Perrys sitting on my desk right now all basecoated, and one wears a brigandine. I'll have a go dotting in the studs in silver before I go to the wash stage!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2042 on: November 18, 2020, 09:18:09 PM »
Ok, fine, i'll do it! I've got a batch of Perrys sitting on my desk right now all basecoated, and one wears a brigandine. I'll have a go dotting in the studs in silver before I go to the wash stage!

I use acrylic gel silver pens. Much easier to 'dot'.

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2043 on: November 18, 2020, 09:58:21 PM »

Hmm, perhaps I should look into that. Got a link?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2044 on: November 19, 2020, 09:33:51 AM »

Ok, fine, i'll do it!

lol
I wasn't thinking of you specifically, Charlie. I've noticed from the many people now posting pics of their Perry plastic creations on the NMTBH Fb group, that most people don't seem to bother. Which is a shame, because it's not difficult, nor even particularly time-consuming, and it does make the figures look much prettier. (I find it quite therapeutic actually, dotting brigandine studs ;))

Mind you, I've also noticed that many people don't even bother cleaning off the (admittedly faint but noticeable) mould lines, which I find somewhat heart-breaking lol

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2045 on: November 19, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »
lol
I wasn't thinking of you specifically, Charlie. I've noticed from the many people now posting pics of their Perry plastic creations on the NMTBH Fb group, that most people don't seem to bother. Which is a shame, because it's not difficult, nor even particularly time-consuming, and it does make the figures look much prettier. (I find it quite therapeutic actually, dotting brigandine studs ;))

Mind you, I've also noticed that many people don't even bother cleaning off the (admittedly faint but noticeable) mould lines, which I find somewhat heart-breaking lol

Yeah though I haven't yet painted any brigandine studs, I do get 'frustrated' when people don't paint any of the belts and straps on the armour!

I find different parts of the figure deserve more time than others. I do the hands and faces in LOTS of stages, whereas the legs I often just do a flat colour with a dark wash. Often a dark grey. I want the attention to be drawn to the face, not distracted by fancy trousers!
But yeah perhaps I can be persuaded that brigandines deserve a little extra effort.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #2046 on: November 19, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »
lol

Guilty as charged on both counts  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2047 on: November 19, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
Guilty as charged on both counts  :D

Oh GILES!  ::) :'(

lol

But you do have millions of figures ;)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #2048 on: November 19, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »
and if i dotted every stud I would never finish...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2049 on: November 19, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »
lol

I do understand Giles. It's taken me around 10 years to paint 300 or so Perry WOTR figures (in amongst many other things, to be fair). It took you about three weeks to paint about 800! There are going to be compromises somewhere. Different strokes.

However, there are some miscreants who paint relatively small numbers of figures, and then show them off, who still don't bother to clean up the mould lines. Which is inexplicable to me. But there you go...
I just add it to my list of 'things I will never understand about some wargamers'. (Like the ads for figures you used to see in wargaming magazines (and probably still do), where some of the figures being thus expensively promoted have horribly bent bayonets! Are these people blind? Are they mad? lol)

Offline Duff

• Scientist
    • Duff Paint
« Reply #2050 on: November 19, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
God, I just love your colours.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2051 on: November 19, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »
That’s a fantastic group  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2052 on: November 19, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »

Hmm, perhaps I should look into that. Got a link?

No link, just go to (in the UK) Poundland, The Range, Wilco, Family Bargains, The Works etc. etc.
I tend to pick up several at a time, especially around Christmas time. They often come with
silver and gold pens. Both are useful, sword hilts, blades, metallic highlights, jewellery etc.

I also have a pack of various coloured metallic pens (mine came from the Works shop) which
I find very useful on Fantasy & Sci-Fi figures.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2053 on: November 28, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »
One more Howard veteran billman finished...

He joins his recently finished chums...

To complete that reconstituted 12-man unit for 'Never Mind The Bill Hooks'.

Also, three more disarray markers finished...

And the set so far...

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.137 Another Howard etc
« Reply #2054 on: November 28, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »
Class...as always...stunning work