Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593754 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Perhaps swing it underhand, like a polo hammer?  They don't like it up 'em, you know ...

More like a Towton Wallop than a Towton Tap.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Out of interest, this is the most viewed topic on the board, with another two topics on Perry WotR figures taking second and third place!

:)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
They are definitely in vogue ;)

Given the apparent success of the plastic Wars of the Roses sets, one wonders if the Perrys haven't been tempted into producing a plastic set for their Hundred Years War range...  ::)

I've got three more of my mounted figures painted... Just need to do the basing now...  o_o

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
Given the apparent success of the plastic Wars of the Roses sets, one wonders if the Perrys haven't been tempted into producing a plastic set for their Hundred Years War range...  ::)

I would kill for a Wars of Religion range...

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop

That's what I'm waiting for desperately! Bertrand du Guesclin and his men against marauding troops of unemployed mercenaries - that cries for a skirmish game ... Instead they did 2.WW-figs; blahhh

Or another plastic set for the Wars of the Roses: mounted bowmen, crossbowmen, coustiliers etc.pp., in short, all those riders with boots on their feet! They are even missing from their metal ranges ...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
Or another plastic set for the Wars of the Roses: mounted bowmen, crossbowmen, coustiliers etc.pp., in short, all those riders with boots on their feet! They are even missing from their metal ranges ...

That would be excellent and to me is the only thing missing now... except maybe more wagons...  ::)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
And some ladies.....

Incidentally, I have ordered the three mounted pages to use their booted legs for mounted bowmen.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:32:57 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Check this out...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290726731264&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Rather nicely painted examples... 'Buy it now' price:  180.00 GBP.  Not a bad return for a box costing 18 quid...

Now I appreciate (believe me, I appreciate) the time it takes to paint to a respectable standard - unlike a lot of the dross you see labelled as 'Pro-painted' on eBay... But there's something about shelling out the best part of 200 quid for 12 little plastic cavalrymen that doesn't feel quite right.
Whilst discerning (and wealthy!) collectors have grown used to paying top dollar for well painted metal miniatures, there's something about the instrinsic low cost of plastic which makes this kind of price tag seem highly improbable...

Or am I mistaken?
I guess time will tell whether someone bites or not...

There's another chap on eBay who's been knocking out these Perry plastic WOTR cavalry at 20 quid a pop for the last few weeks - or trying to at any rate... And they're nowhere near as well painted as these, so I don't imagine he's shifted many. But you have to admire his chutzpah...  Or impertinence  ::)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
I wouldn't pay that, but then again I'm not everybody. Some guy has shelled out £12 a time for 17 painted Harlequin Dr Who figures, while another has paid £12-£14 for painted Crooked Dice figures, all from the same guy... so he has a market.

I suppose the cost is all tied up in the painting... but yes, mentally I'd be thinking "But they're plastic!"
:?

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
No, I think you're absolutely right, maybe he's a former employee of Leman Brothers ;)

Again cracking stuff, Captain :o

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
Richard, it just means that we're sitting on a fortune for our old days  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sir Tobi

• Bookworm
    • Tobi's Paint Pot
I know what you mean, but I have to say Richard Abbott has really a beautiful painting style. He painted a lot of my Sassanids like e.g. these here...

... and I've learned a lot by copying his painting style (alas this was at a time when his prices were more affordable to me). He really has a great eye for the colors, and he gives the figures more than the usual three layers of paint.

So - in many cases I really can't understand the prices that are paid at ebay, but in his case I'm not begruding him any penny of the high prizes he actually achieves (by the way: the war of the roses figures are also sold). I just felt I had to break a lance here...  ;)  

And besides quality there may be another reason for his success: Given the current crisis and prize-drop of the Euro, many continental Europeans feel the need to invest into something solid - like plastic figures for example  lol

Offline 15th Panzer

• Assistant
I am constantly amazed by some of the prices asked for on ebay for painted figs. It seems plastic or metal fetch a similar price, so long as they are well(ish) painted. That said, the only reason my good lady puts up with a room full of painted metal and plastic is because I have told her the sale of its contents may feed, clothe and keep us warm for a month or two in our autumn years. That and the fact it keeps me out of the pub.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
No, I'm not in any disagreement over whether the guy (as well as a few members here who paint to sell) have talent, it's abundantly clear that they do. I certainly don't even begrudge them being able to make money from it. Certainly the difference in the figure price becomes unimportant too, when you are talking that amount per figure.

I sometimes get concerned that I pay too much for my hobby... so this is all somewhat reassuring.  :D

Exhibit B
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:52:58 PM by Arlequín »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
I do agree with most of the sentiments in the recent comments but to be fair, the plastics probably take longer to prep for painting than the metals and as versatile as they are, I must admit they don't feel right  :)

cheers

James