Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691106
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593647 times)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (23 Sept - longbow diversion)
« Reply #690 on: September 23, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
With the signalman, I suggest you drill out (countersink) the front of the trumpet - it looks much better.

Mick

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #691 on: September 23, 2012, 09:13:29 PM »
With the signalman, I suggest you drill out (countersink) the front of the trumpet - it looks much better.

Totally agree.

I'm pretty sure with Richard's skills he can probably pull this off.   :)

BTW... since we are on about construction... I assume that the clear shiny stuff on the figures is liquid greenstuff, or something of the sort.

Richard, could you explain how it works, as I have never had the opportunity to use it.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #692 on: September 23, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »
Actually Ray, the shiny stuff is just dried liquid polystyrene cement... I tend to slather it over the joints to fill / conceal any fractional gaps. You can't see it once it's painted.

I have used some liquid greenstuff to do some filling recently. It's quite good stuff and fairly easy to use. Just like a thick green paint really, and behaves much the same. Doesn't seem to have any particularly magical properties as far as I can see. You can build it up in layers to achieve thicker detail, and you can scrape it off easily enough if you smear it somewhere you didn't mean to. Certainly worth keeping a bottle around for adding things like studs, buttons, chinstraps, rivets and sideburns - all things I used to do with repeated applications of PVA. Now much more easily achieved with a touch or two of liquid greenstuff.

As far as the trumpet goes, I must admit I don't fancy trying to drill the end out as it's rather fragile. The thing's quite likely to fall off. But all being well, I can paint in the aperture convincingly enough to fool the eye  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #693 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:22 AM »
Ah!

You use polystyrene cement on your plastic minis... fancy that.  ::)  lol

The liquid greenstuff does sound interesting, though. I really must try it.

Thanks for the explanations.  :)

Offline HvM

• Scientist
    • http://www.hvmworkbench.com
« Reply #694 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »
really cool builds  :)
]

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #695 on: September 24, 2012, 06:24:18 PM »
More wonderful poses and combos.  :-*
Simon,

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #696 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Just waiting to see them painted! =)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #697 on: September 25, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »
They look great so far... I'm not sure about the 'buckler on the arm', iirc the ones like the one you've used just had a 'fist grip' behind the boss. I could be wrong though.

:)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #698 on: September 25, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »
They look great so far... I'm not sure about the 'buckler on the arm', iirc the ones like the one you've used just had a 'fist grip' behind the boss. I could be wrong though.

I think you're right.

I've seen many a pic of Byzantine Psiloi wearing a buckler on one arm when using the bow ,granted a much smaller composite bow which you tend to draw 'along your arm' rather than 'bending in the bow' as it were.

Still, nothing wrong with a bit of artistic license, maybe he has some Greek blood in him  :D.

Richard, it's great to see all of these conversions but the one that I'm most interested in the archer loosing high, something that the Perry Plastics Box Set is sadly lacking.

Do you think you could find the time to do a quick step by step? Pretty please with polystyrene cement on top  ;) :)??

Darrell.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:23:00 AM by Atheling »

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #699 on: September 25, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »
Some great poses Capt B. The foreigner has a Gascon air, but I think the serious shooter might snag his bow string on his helmet  :o

Can wait to see them painted up  :D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #700 on: September 25, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
Do you think you could find the time to do a quick step by step? Pretty please with polystyrene cement on top  ;) :)??

Darrell.

lol

I think you're right.

I've seen many a pic of Byzantine Psiloi wearing a buckler on one arm when using the bow ,granted a much smaller composite bow which you tend to draw 'along your arm' rather than 'bending in the bow' as it were.

Still, nothing wrong with a bit of artistic license, maybe he has some Greek blood in him  :D.

The Burgundians armed their pikemen with 'bucklers' or 'targes' or whatever.. and the only logical place for them to be was on the forearm, given that you needed two hands to hold a pike, but the one shown looks like the 'punch' type, which besides use as a means of 'shielding' against your opponent, could be used offensively. That being said, they are often shown hanging over the sword pommel, so there must have been a strap of sorts, besides the grip itself...

:?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #701 on: September 25, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
Zooks! The toggle-counters have entered the building  ;)  :D

Really boys, does my face look bothered? ::)

Seriously, of course you are right to point out that one or two of these may not be entirely historically accurate. Wait until you see the one with the bazooka  ;)

Darrell, the conversion for the 'loose high' bowman is dead simple. Just pick the body leaning backwards, and then take a slight angled slice off the shoulder end of one of the outstretched bow arms. Hey presto, the arm points upwards a bit more, the body is already leaning back, and it look slike he's shooting 'up and over'... When mounting the figure on a coin, washer, group base or whatever, you could accentuate the effect still more by gluing a slight chock of spare sprue under the leading edge of the figure's integral base, to tip his stance back a little bit more.

:)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #702 on: September 25, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
I'd get into this in a jiffy if it wasn't for all that bothersome history. Were there any Danish contingents (or derivatives) on any side or something!?

Plastics, Perry (not the platypus) and even bazookas! What's not to want to imitate in 28mm!?!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #703 on: September 26, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
Zooks! The toggle-counters have entered the building  ;)  :D

Moi???  :o

Ok, it's a fair cop Guvnor.....  ;)

Btw... what model Bazooka, cos' the M20 would be totally wrong.....  :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #704 on: September 26, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
Darrell, the conversion for the 'loose high' bowman is dead simple. Just pick the body leaning backwards, and then take a slight angled slice off the shoulder end of one of the outstretched bow arms. Hey presto, the arm points upwards a bit more, the body is already leaning back, and it look slike he's shooting 'up and over'... When mounting the figure on a coin, washer, group base or whatever, you could accentuate the effect still more by gluing a slight chock of spare sprue under the leading edge of the figure's integral base, to tip his stance back a little bit more.

Thanks mate. I've got another box where I intend to do as many as these as is possible. I just don't like the look of longbowmen shooting one another in the back  :).

Loosing high always looks better IMHO.

Darrell.