Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 594029 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (23 Sept - longbow diversion)
« Reply #705 on: September 26, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »
I'd get into this in a jiffy if it wasn't for all that bothersome history. Were there any Danish contingents (or derivatives) on any side or something!?

Not specifically, but most of North-East England is 'Danish-derived', which is why they talk funny and have road signs saying 'Gate' instead of 'Street'. There were a lot of foreigners of various nationalities about though, the Pastons had a Frenchman and a Dutchman in their very small garrison at Caister Castle. Within the 'Burgundian' and 'French' contingents you would find groups of various nationalities, either as individuals signing on, or in larger formal groups, like SI's Company of the Red Feather.

There's no evidence for specifically Danish men, but that doesn't mean that there weren't any and that goes pretty much for any nationality of Western Europe. 

Offline Hendrid

• Librarian
    • ALBAtwo Warblog
« Reply #706 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:12 PM »
Great builds right enough.

I need to get me some of that liquid green stuff. Looks to have been right useful.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #707 on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:04 AM »
Hang on, Hang on, whoa back up there a bit...

Where are the painted mounted men that you built the other day,

Your turning into me, put these ones together , oh those look nice lets put those together and oh I only just noticed I had some of those .....................  ;)

great builds as always

Rog

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #708 on: September 29, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
I know, I know, I'm a terrible slacker  :D

But don't worry, Rog - some of those mounted men at arms are on the paint table right now, you'll be relieved to hear  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #709 on: October 16, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
Okay, so I know I was supposed to be working on longbowmen to raise the ratios, but I foolishly let myself get sidetracked by various Men At Arms on foot I've had knocking around for ages. So actually, I've just made my bow:bill:MAA ratio far worse! ::)

These were a couple of plastic foot knights I built when I first got the mounted MAA box - you can see them in their unpainted state, way, way, way up in the thread somewhere above... I'm pleased with how these have turned out. They're both joining the swelling retinue of the Tenchleys of Staffhurst.

This one is another plastic figure - actually the very first figure I built from the mercenaries box, almost three years ago! For some reason, I never painted him. He's now joining my Milanese soldiers of fortune.

These two are joining the Foyles of Crowhurst - a plastic MAA bringing a banner at last, and a metal MAA swinging his poleaxe with a vengeance.

On the subject of the Perry metal MAA, I'd love to tell you I'm impressed with them - but I'm not. The figures look superficially good at first glance but they're actually quite crudely done and have lots of grotty lumps of extraneous metal which are impossible to excise without major surgery. Like in the crook of interior arm joints and between the leg and the scabbard. Really not very good - especially in comparison to the immaculate detail of the Perry plastic figures... However, to perservere...

A couple of MAA with poleaxes joining the Osneys of Outwood...

And finally, three personalities, allegedly Edward IV, Warwick, and the Duke of Somerset, now recast as characters in my own little WOTR local universe...

And the whole merry gang of killers...

Right... Now back to the longbowmen! And I mean it this time...  ;)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Brilliant as usual :-)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Totally wicked cool :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline craig2

• Scientist
So great ! :o

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Totally wicked cool :D

.... And soon to be thrashed! ;D

8) :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline 15thpanzer

• Librarian
Great, inspirational work as ever sir. Good luck with the longbowmen. Not nearly as enjoyable to paint as the heavy melee weapon sloggers. Some much more up close and personal.

In response to your comment about the Perry metals, I couldn't agree more. I have just finished painting a batch of metals and they really are not a patch on the plastics. I don't put as much individual detail into my figs, being a much looser painting style (that hides much), but even this cannot cover their failings. They certainly do not match up to their older metal AWI figs that I have been working on too. Hopefully they expand the range and improve the sculpts because, in spite of this misgiving, I wouldn't spend my precious painting time on any other sculpter's work unless Tony Barton went up a few millimetres.

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
Stonking

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
All that shiny, shiny mail - they look very intimidating.  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ah the butterfly effect continues, it makes me glad to know you are human after all  :D

By the way these are fantastic, very difficult to do all that plate so well, you achieve that so immaculately.

looking forward to the bowmen.... or the mounted's  :D

dodge

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Shiney  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
Wonderful.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare