Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593953 times)

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (Yet more painting 18 January)
« Reply #1455 on: January 19, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »
I really like these two, great work

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (Yet more painting 18 January)
« Reply #1456 on: January 20, 2015, 05:13:04 AM »
Superb!!!  :o :-* :-* :-* :o

And of course, very inspiring.....

Darrell.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #1457 on: January 20, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
really nice figures ;D
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #1458 on: January 20, 2015, 03:44:23 PM »
Not my preferred period but these are truly excellent.
With the quality and volume of your work are you sure you haven't been cybernetically enhanced?  lol

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #1459 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:44 PM »
Impressive as always. You're amassing a very nice medieval collection  :-*
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1460 on: January 21, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
Thanks  :)

I hope to get these fellows straight into action at the weekend.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms (LIGHT CAVALRY PREVIEWS 26 Feb)
« Reply #1461 on: February 26, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »
I was lucky enough to be at the fabulous Tactica show in Hamburg last weekend, where the Perrys were showing their new forthcoming Wars of the Roses / European Armies lighter cavalry set.
Michael kindly offered me the chance to take away the test sprue they had on display once the show was over – which naturally, I did. Very pleased to get the chance to get my mitts on these two months ahead of their official launch at Salute  :D

Obviously I couldn’t wait to get home and start building – which I have.
Painting will follow in due course...

First, a few reflections on the set:

1.   It’s brilliant. Yet another exponential increase in the permutations available by intermixing all 5 late medieval sets, plus the Agincourt to Orleans set. There are lots of useful new components included here, including spare longbows and crossbows in their carrying cases, some very nice new swords, and of course, lots of new arms and heads, as well as the four new bodies which form the centre of the set.

2.   There are 12 all-new late medieval heads, and although some are reminiscent of heads in earlier sets, they are all different, and include several real crackers.
To my eye, half of the heads look kinda European, and the rest quite English, so a good mix overall. Michael was reflecting that having now made 70-odd different heads for these WOTR era sets, it’s becoming quite hard to keep coming up with new versions of sallets! (But he’s done darned well).

3.   The four bodies are all beautifully done as well. They all have some bits and pieces of armour, three of them wear coats, open or closed, one has a brigandine. Some have long boots turned up or down, one has short boots and hose. The reins arms are separate this time which I think is a great improvement over the mounted men-at-arms set, where they were cast onto the bodies. It gives a great deal of extra flexibility. And makes them useful for kitbashing. There are a wide range of right arms with light lances in various position, as well as bows, crossbows and open-handed 'at ease' arms.

4.   The horse sprue, it should be said, is identical to the horse sprue in the MMAA set – so 6 body halves (3 left, 3 right) and four different heads. I honestly don’t see this as a problem, because I think Johan calculated there was some astronomical range of possible permutations from these 10 components. So that you never need to make the same horse twice, and that's even before you start converting…

Onto the figures:

Number one is a mercenary crossbowman. His crossbow is covered and slung on one side of his saddle, his bolts and winder on the other. He wears a soft hat and carries his sallet in his hand – a spare empty helmet, another very useful component this. He wears the brigandine body with long boots turned down. I gave him arms in half mail though, rather than the matching brigandine arms. Note the new model sword in its scabbard – one of the best so far methinks.

Number two is a scurrer riding down some unfortunate fugitive.  This is the body with long boots to the thigh, and an open coat over a breastplate. I’ve given him brigandine arms and light lance. I love this helmet – an enclosed kettle hat with eye slits and a cloth coronet. I think he’ll do as an Englishman for my Yorkists, although he could be a mercenary.

Number three is another scurrer. This body has the short boots and a closed coat with short scalloped skirt. I’ve given him armoured arms with coat ‘shoulders’. Another brilliant helmet here – the onion shaped kettle hat with eye slits.

Well, I was a very good boy and stuck to only the components in the box for the first three... But I couldn’t quite resist for number four – a mounted longbowman...

His body is, again, in a closed coat. This time with armoured legs and turned down bucket boots. The body is leaning slightly to the right, which is why I’ve given him a pair of shooting longbow arms from the WOTR infantry set. Shooting to his left. Much debate to be had about whether you can actually shoot a longbow from horseback – personally I think it unlikely, but who cares: It makes for a nice figure.
His helmet is an open sallet from the new set – great gormless face on this one too. Also note the useful arrow bag hanging from his saddle. Open and closed versions of these are included on the frame.

And finally… I also used a few more components from the new frame to mash-up some infantry types.

Number five is a longbowman, using the shouldered bow and arrows pack from the new set, plus another new head in an open (nicely pointy) sallet. It’s a standard infantry body. His left arm is a longbow arm with longbow cut off, and a hand axe from the Agincourt to Orleans set substituted. He’s obviously looking for a defensive stake to sharpen.

Number six is a mercenary. He’ll be joining my Milanese. This is my favourite head from the new frame – look at those feathers! Plus a new ‘crossbow held down at ease’ right arm. His left arm is another longbow arm, this time with a hand swap – he’s a mercenary, so he has his hand out for payment. It’s a standard infantry body.  He’s got a pack of bolts and his winder on his left hip.

Last up, I also concocted another lighter cavalry type myself, finally using the bare ‘Richard III’ head from the Foot Knights set, with some Green Stuff long boots. I think he should fit in with the others well enough.

That’s all for now, although I have also been making up several more longbowmen, combining the various WOTR sets with the A-O set.
They will follow in a day or two…
:)

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (26 FEB LIGHT CAVALRY TESTS)
« Reply #1462 on: February 26, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
Superb work.  :-*
I'm really looking forward to these with a splash of paint on them

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1463 on: February 26, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
Really nice figures there. I especially like the new feathered helmet. A longbowman firing from the saddle,  have you not been reading the other thread?!  lol I think it looks good. The Perrys must save a fortune on marketing everytime you glue something together.  :D

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #1464 on: February 26, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »
Excellent work, Richard.   :)
I cannot wait to see them painted.
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #1465 on: February 26, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
You're a lucky devil :)

Looking forward to seeing them painted of course, I'm certain they'll be characterful.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1466 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
Lovely work as usual Richard.  :D

Are the swords in scabbard attached to the sprue a tad more sensibly than in the HYW set?
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #1467 on: February 26, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »
i want some of their HYW stuff for Lion Rampant which weve just started playing!!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1468 on: February 26, 2015, 09:54:58 PM »
Are the swords in scabbard attached to the sprue a tad more sensibly than in the HYW set?

Slightly Ray.
There's a single point of attachment, down near the point of the scabbard.
Still not attached by one or other end, which would be better - but at least they don't join onto the frame halfway down the length of the scabbard as in some of the earlier sets - which makes it very hard to avoid a wobble in the edge of the finished product...  :?
So, yes - a bit better.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #1469 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:36 PM »
Very nice builds Richard - have to agree fully with all the conversion options that now arise from this excellent sprue.
I've already added some arrow bags to foot troops to extend a group of Burgundian Archers of the Guard, which will be coming along the pipeline sometime later this year for my army.
Looking forward to the colouring-in stage!
Simon.