Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Copplestone's Armstrong-Whitworth A/C (good photos, 15 May!)  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Copplestone's Armstrong-Whitworth A/C (good photos, 15 May!)
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
My most recent order to Copplestone included my first RCW vehicle, the very nice Armstrong-Whitworth armoured car.

It's a very nicely sculpted and cast piece of kit, among the cleanest resin casts I've seen. One tiny set of casting bubbles under the armoured doors that protect the radiator, where they'll be invisible when the thing's on the table, and a bare minimum of tiny flecks of flash here and there.

I drilled and pinned the two machine-gun barrels on the resin turrets, but didn't bother pinning the turrets to the body. I haven't decided whether I'll pin the wheels yet; I'm planning on a minimalist base of styrene card and other similar vehicles with unpinned wheels have been fine like that so far in my collection.

Painting (all paints Reaper Master Series) was a basecoat of 2:1 Swamp Green:Pure Black, a wash with GW Devlan Mud, then highlights with pure Swamp Green, 1:1 mix of Swamp Green:Military Green, bits of pure Military Green. The underside got a base of Blackened Steel, then a couple coats of random mixes of browns, which were also stippled up onto the body with a cheap, stiff brush for the mud effect.

The skull on the radiator cover is freehand in Leather White, with a bit of a highlight of Pure White. I'll get a full-face photo of the skull when I take the next round of photos.

Needs some bits of rust, oil stains and such, then I'll get the wheels attached and dirty up the whole thing further with pastel chalk dust in various shades of brown.

The plan is to put a flagstaff mount on the roof somewhere, so it can fly either Bolshevik or White flags and change teams as required. I made a batch of flags from greenstuff over the winter, so I'll put two of them to use.

Now, this thing needs a name! It's got to be something fairly generic so it can run for both sides. It's also got to be a word that isn't insanely hard to freehand onto the side of the car, too!

I was thinking perhaps just "Moscow" (Москва), an animal's name (Bear, maybe, which Google Translate tells me is нести?), or a girl's name? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:42:56 PM by Wirelizard »

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Copplestone's Armstrong-Whitworth A/C
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53:07 AM »
Great work so far.  I love patriotic revolutionary names myself, a quick scour round this site and others will throw up plenty.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
I suggest to play this variant.
 In the armored car with chalk written "Freedom." I think such a machine could have a sign and White, and Red, and even Makhnovists and other insurgents..

But the images of flags on the armored cars when I have not seen.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:20:05 AM by cuprum »

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »
Out of curiosity Cuprum, but who exactly are those soldiers in the picture? Their love of bandoliers makes them appear like Reds, but they appear to also be wearing the Tsarist cockade and the man leaning on the far right appears to have epaulettes on his greatcoat.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »
It figures the February Revolution.
 When the tsar abdicated the throne, and came to power the Provisional government authorized headed by Kerensky. As you know, the vast majority of the population, like the army, supported the change of power and democratic change.
 During this period, incidentally, was formed the revolutionary shock battalions, which became the basis for most of the White armies.

It was a difficult time - for example - the best troops of Kolchak was formed from the working Votkinsk and Izhevsk plants! The first battles with the Bolsheviks, they were under the red flags!

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »
It has a suitably grubby look.  Well done.  I'd opt for a girl's name or an animal's name. 
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
In Russia, there was no such tradition.
 I know only one armored car in the Wnite Don Army - "Медведица" (Ursa)
I know the red "Falcon."

Usually there were other names: Terrible, Ardent, Sharp, angry, and the like.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:10:25 PM by cuprum »

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:07:49 AM »
I suggest to play this variant.
 In the armored car with chalk written "Freedom." I think such a machine could have a sign and White, and Red, and even Makhnovists and other insurgents..

That is a very cool photo, and it looks like exactly the same armoured car as the Copplestone model! It also nicely shows that the Copplestone vehicle is about the right scale - these aren't big vehicles. I'm not sure where you got this image from - can I re-use it on my own website?

Just to double-check Google Translate's output with a bunch of possible names that you've suggested:
Freedom is свобода
Terrible is ужасный
Terror is ужас
Fury is ярость
Ardent is горячий

Are those correct or is Google Translate being inaccurate?

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:15 AM »
This is a photo I found long ago in the Russian network. The exact source can not provide.

In Russian, these names will look like this:

"ГРОЗНЫЙ" - it means a dangerous, threatening, terrible
 "ПЫЛКИЙ"  - it means perky, excited, inspired by
 "ЗОРКИЙ"   - that means observant, attentive, well-seer
 "ГНЕВНЫЙ" - meaning angry, furious
 "СВОБОДА" - it means Freedom

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
Thanks, cuprum! Google Translate is useful, but having a person double-check the results is always a good idea.

I'm away from home for the weekend so the Armstrong-Whitworth won't be finished until next week, but here's a new photo with some Brigade Games & Copplestone figures for scale. Looks pretty close compared to that cool photo cuprum found.

The other new thing in that photo is the Bolshevik sailor on the right; I did a small unit of them up last month and haven't gotten any photos until now. Proper photos of the sailors soon, I promise.

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:38:55 AM »
Looking good - I might get one myself

Does anyone know if the Frikorps used them?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »

Does anyone know if the Frikorps used them?

All sorts of odd stuff seems to have turned up on the streets of Germany while the Freikorp were active, so while I've no idea if they really ran them, it doesn't seem entirely implausible!

I had a bit of a painting setback last week with this vehicle, when a black wash came out entirely too strong and wrecked most of the paintjob you all saw in the earlier image. Then I bought a new computer and getting that built and set up has occupied my time recently... but tonight I finally got back to the Armstrong-Whitworth and got it to a table-ready state!

After cuprum's suggestions above, I've named the armoured car "Freedom!" and freehand painted that onto one side panel. I think my freehand Cyrillic is accurate, but I don't speak a word of Russian nor read the language, so had to rely on Google Translate and cuprum's help earlier in this discussion!

Touched up the skull on the radiator armour panels, weathered it down with pastel chalk dust, and it's basically done. The base is a minimalist thing, mostly there as reinforcements for the wheels. The figure is a Brigade Games 28mm Russian priest who I really should finish one of these days...

Please excuse the lousy late night photographs, I'll try to get better photos in daylight on the weekend.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Copplestone's Armstrong-Whitworth A/C (finished, 10 May!)
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
Love the painting, but, and what follows is a horrible thing to say, for which I apologize - could it be that the front axle is attached the wrong way? It looks like the front sits much to high, which might be due to the front axle pointing downward and not up.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
 Hello Wirelizard.
 Your Russian language is great  :D
 Everything is written correctly and looks authentic.
 Good job. Congratulations!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
Love the painting, but, and what follows is a horrible thing to say, for which I apologize - could it be that the front axle is attached the wrong way? It looks like the front sits much to high, which might be due to the front axle pointing downward and not up.

I was starting to wonder about that, after I noticed that the model on Copplestone's website seems to sit level. The model comes with no instructions, and that single photo on the Copplestone website isn't clear enough to offer clues as to axle placement on the front. The wheel and axle assembly is just superglued in place, so it should be possible to break the glue bond and re-set the wheels. Ideally I can do that without disturbing the rear wheels (the base is .040 thou styrene sheet so will flex a bit) but before I do anything else I'm going to Dullcoat the beast to protect the pastel chalk weathering!

Your Russian language is great  :D
 Everything is written correctly and looks authentic.
 Good job. Congratulations!

Thank you, and thanks again for your help with the name and translations!