Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691090
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Doctor Who 1996  (Read 5168 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Re: Doctor Who 1996
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »
Great stuff Steve. You've done good work on what are some of the poorer sculpts in the range – the Grace mini is one of my least favourite, but you've manged to get her looking good. Nice modification on McGann's hair too. The original looks like Kevin Keegan playing the Doctor!

I watched the TV Movie a year or so ago, the first time I'd seen it since transmission. Nowhere near as awful as 'fandom' would have it, but still some way short of a solid actually being great. It still has some good elements though.

Another vote for Lucie Miller and the Big Finish range though. I've only just discovered these, and they're great! Sheridan Smith is fantastic.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »

Now, when are you going to do 'Dimensions in Time'?  :D

Yes, this! And 'A Fix With Sontarans' too, of course!  ;D

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
Now, when are you going to do 'Dimensions in Time'?  :D

Yes, this! And 'A Fix With Sontarans' too, of course!  ;D

Well, my notebook has ideas for minis from all sorts of Doctor Who stories, but by my reckoning, there have been some 225 "proper" telly stories, of which I have so far completed only 17, so it may be awhile before I get on to the oddities!  You never know, though, what I might come up with if I want a change.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:15:17 AM »
Great stuff Steve. You've done good work on what are some of the poorer sculpts in the range – the Grace mini is one of my least favourite, but you've manged to get her looking good. Nice modification on McGann's hair too. The original looks like Kevin Keegan playing the Doctor!

I watched the TV Movie a year or so ago, the first time I'd seen it since transmission. Nowhere near as awful as 'fandom' would have it, but still some way short of a solid actually being great. It still has some good elements though.

Another vote for Lucie Miller and the Big Finish range though. I've only just discovered these, and they're great! Sheridan Smith is fantastic.

Two thumbs up from me too, Steve, especially with the figure mods. I've kept the hairstyle because I'm terrified about ruining it with a bad conversion, but I'm trying to paint away the perm... trying. I've also added a fob chain and some buttons to the front and back - Harlequin really could have tried harder with their sculpt.

Of course now that the WETA costume has been ratified by Big Finish the hunt's on for a good likeness for the NEW Eighth Doctor!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dark-eyes-cover

As for the TV Movie - I bear it no ill-will. The new series owes a fair bit to its design and attempts to modernise the franchise, and from it we got McGann, who's great in the audios most of the time and superb in the comic strips. It may have been 'for one night only', but what it started was much bigger than those ninety minutes.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
Of course now that the WETA costume has been ratified by Big Finish the hunt's on for a good likeness for the NEW Eighth Doctor!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dark-eyes-cover

He looks like he's doing an impression of the 9th Doctor.  :?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »

In recent years, McGann has often bemoaned the fact that he wasn't allowed to play the Doctor with a shaven head and leather jacket like Christopher Eccleston.  He shot the TV movie right after playing one of the convicts in Alien Cubed, so he had a Number 1 cut, and he hated the wig the producers put him in.  They said that they wanted him to look like had had done in The Hanging Gale, but, weirdly, the wig wasn't in his own hair colour, so presumably he'd have had to dye it if they'd gone to series.  Two of the media companies who financed the TV movie, Universal and Fox, also had a big row about whether or not Grace should be blonde.  Clearly, hairdressing was what mattered to them most.  It certainly wasn't scriptwriting.

Anyhow, Jet Simian, please do share with us some photos of your minis when you've finished them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:24:48 PM by Steve F »

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
Don't like it. An image change with each regeneration has become part and parcel of Who. The 9th Doc wearing the 8th Doc's clothes almost suggests that the 9th Doc couldn't be bothered changing clothes because he knew he wouldn't be around long.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 02:29:31 AM »
That's not a great picture of the "new" 8th Doctor costume, there's more to it than just the jacket. There were pictures floating around from an Australian convention that did it better justice. For the life of me though, I can't find them right now.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
That's not a great picture of the "new" 8th Doctor costume, there's more to it than just the jacket. There were pictures floating around from an Australian convention that did it better justice. For the life of me though, I can't find them right now.

Me, a Who fan, guilty of a knee-jerk reaction? Never!  lol
Hope some pics turn up.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
Here you are:

Not really on my "to-do" list, though.

This, on the other hand, is:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:54:25 AM by Steve F »