Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 17074 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Lord of the Rings
« on: January 27, 2008, 06:16:54 PM »
So, I played my first game of Legends of the Old West last night. Awesome.

I really liked how streamlined the system was. I was able to teach two brand new minis players and we were able to have a great game.

I understand LotOW is based on the LotR ruleset.  At some point, I expect I'll be moving back into fantasy gaming (I've already asked about Battle for Skull Pass).

So, what's the state of the LotR game? Is it going to be around for awhile? Is the Mines of Moria a good buy? Where do you go from there? Most importantly, is it a feasible game to get into if I'll be the main supplier (this ruled out warhammer)?

Thanks!

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »
The Moris set is a good starter as the scenarios in there build up in stages so you learn different parts of the rules gradually.  Even the box itself is useful as it's just the right size for the footprint of the gaming area.

Once you're up to speed with the rules, the best way to progress is to decide which force you like the look of and see if you can get one of the £50 battlehost sets as they are excellent value for money.  There are an increasing amount of scource books which give different army variants as well as scenarios to play in (I think the scenarios are better than head to head battles...)

GW are committed to the LOTR game and it'll be supported for years yet - it's one of their core games now and it's still surprisingly popular.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
I definitely like tha game basics of GW LotR. They charge you too much for too little, as is their way, but that is another dead horse thoroughly and habitually flogged.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:01:37 PM »
It's a popular game because it does a lot of things right! I was incredibly impressed with it when it came out - and I think Warhammer Fantasy is the poorer for not using it as the rules engine for that setting.

Ask your FLGS if they can get some of the old movie sets from their distributor. While the older rulebooks won't have complete army lists, they will have the basic mechanics in it. Some distributors were swimming in old boxes and selling them for a song. Still, it'll be something you have to ask the manager about.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:34:24 PM »
Quote from: "Darren"
GW are committed to the LOTR game and it'll be supported for years yet

See, here's the problem I'm having, the problem that's kept me from taking up LotR (not that I have time for another project anyway...). "For years yet" still sounds too finite. I don't want to take up a game that sounds like it's producers might drop it in the foreseeable future. Every time I start being lured into this game, I get into the "Will they drop it or not?" conundrum. I'm always happy to see GW release something new for the game, because it means they're still supporting it - but only for now.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 07:36:39 PM »
The core rulebooks are solid, and the miniatures will slosh around the secondary markets for years. I'm of the opinion that you can't own too many rulebooks anyway.

I'm not certain if I'm saying "buy the game" but it sure sounds like I am.  :?:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 07:44:03 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
Quote from: "Darren"
GW are committed to the LOTR game and it'll be supported for years yet

See, here's the problem I'm having, the problem that's kept me from taking up LotR (not that I have time for another project anyway...). "For years yet" still sounds too finite. I don't want to take up a game that sounds like it's producers might drop it in the foreseeable future. Every time I start being lured into this game, I get into the "Will they drop it or not?" conundrum. I'm always happy to see GW release something new for the game, because it means they're still supporting it - but only for now.

I think all miniature and game companies are dedicated to their systems "for now". It's just that GW's for some reason been put against the wall on this and have been obliged to actualy say the words.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:25:28 PM »
This is different. In this case, that "some reason" is the fact GW relies on several licenses from third parties to be allowed to sell this game.

Offline Chien Sauvage

• Assistant
    • http://bobouest.canalblog.com/
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »
I like this game, because i can play with only 5 or10 miniature or with 100, and having always the same rules.

A vidéo to a big battle

Chien sauvage

PS sorry for the dead link, now it s good  :oops:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
It's a popular game because it does a lot of things right! I was incredibly impressed with it when it came out - and I think Warhammer Fantasy is the poorer for not using it as the rules engine for that setting.

Ask your FLGS if they can get some of the old movie sets from their distributor. While the older rulebooks won't have complete army lists, they will have the basic mechanics in it. Some distributors were swimming in old boxes and selling them for a song. Still, it'll be something you have to ask the manager about.

I agree, I was suckered into the game with the release of the Two Towers and bigger battles. The rules are pretty good. I did sell off my figures though as its popularity died in the games club. You should be able to pick up minis and the rule books pretty darn cheap on e-bay as certianly in the UK is was on retail sales across the country in local games shops and even WHSmith. That and a periodical magazine was released with figures attached each week.

I have used the rules for lots of dirrerent games and enjoy the LOTOW etc game immensley

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »
LOTR is possibly my favorite wargame.

The rules system is simple enough to have a few games in an evening but you can also make things pretty in depth aswell.

I have several forces, currently working on a 500pt dwarf army. makes a change from Minas Tirith! I love the LOTR miniature line, more of a fan of the plastics than the metals. which is handy considering you only really need a box of 24 plastics and a metal hero for around 300pts.

Im also using a modified LOTR ruleset from a yahoo group for Samurai skirmish - Very Cool....
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »
And for bigger battles, I'm pretty sure you could adapt the LotOW-Alamo rules for fighting with units (to speed things up a bit). I'm definitely goiing to try that option in the near future!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »
@ Chien: Nice terrain, there, btw!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 06:02:19 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
And for bigger battles, I'm pretty sure you could adapt the LotOW-Alamo rules for fighting with units (to speed things up a bit). I'm definitely goiing to try that option in the near future!

There has been an unofficial "large-scale" adaptation called "War In Middle Earth" done by some of the chaps here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GW_MiddleEarth/

You need to join the group, but if you are into LotR gaming, it's worth it.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 06:52:26 PM »
Will check that out, thanks!  8)