Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:53:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hawk wargames Dropzone commander  (Read 22350 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: Hawk wargames Dropzone commander
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 07:48:47 AM »
Another day, another preview:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/hawk-wargames/dropzone-commander/alien-dropships-dropzone-commander/

Light dropships class vehicles look to be roughly the least ubiquitous of the entire line although I can't find too much fault with these as miniatures per se.

ETA - meanwhile, the Posthuman Command Mech is almost the exact opposite as it would work quite well enough at least up to 28mm scale:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/dropzone-commander/hawk-wargames-bring-commanders-dropzone/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:20:35 PM by tnjrp »

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
Site's up:

http://www.hawkwargames.com

Expensive! Christ! Vehicles the size of a penny, two/three for £10.50!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Site's up:

http://www.hawkwargames.com

Expensive! Christ! Vehicles the size of a penny, two/three for £10.50!

About GW prices then.

I must say that is a very well designed website for a starting company.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2012, 04:59:23 PM »
When I first saw the models I thought they were mindblowing!!

When I entered the site this morning I thought "This fella is really putting a lot of work in this!"

When I caught a glimpse on the prices I was...  :o :o :o :o :o

Not for my purse. A pitty.

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
Yea I agree, the models look great but the price is to high for me and I would like some info about the actual rules before buying into a game.

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »

Am I a sucker? Maybe so. I couldn't resist and pre-ordered a Shaltari starter pack + a few extra bits. I know a few others around here who have already decided to get into this game, rules as yet unseen, so at least I'll have someone to play with (or to commiserate my foolish purchases with) and it just looks so PRETTY!

So I guess this is my new game investment for 2012. I suspect it'll be a good one; although sparse, the unit info and FAQ section on the site indicate that they've thought pretty hard about unit interactions (air vs armour vs infantry) etc.

But honestly, even if the system is colossally crappy, I'll still be super jazzed about pushing these little spiky alien guys around the table and making 'pew-pew' noises. 

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
Expensive! Christ!

Seems to be the way a number of companies are moving in the last few years.

Smaller miniatures (for 28mm read thinner and lighter) with ultra detail and a price tag to match.

It's one way to do business, I guess.

In the case of "smaller" scale figures, Spartan seems to have done quite well the strategy.

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
Granted the figures are very detailed for the scale but when you compare the prices I think this is another set of minis that I'll have to pass on. £12 for 30 x 10mm Infantry when compared with the likes of Pendraken at 30 x 10mm SciFi for £4.80.
As said above that doesn't factor in the price of vehicles.

Shame really but then I should have guessed that given the flashy models this wasn't going to be in the 'affordable wargaming' bracket I find myself going for nowadays. That, and I'd prob never find someone else willing to fork out for an opposing force :D

Guess I'll be sticking with my trusty 15mm SciFi for now at least.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
I thought that the walkers were actually a good price - comparing quality and size to other examples. They are exquisite.

There's no way that these puppies were going to be a budget option was there?  :D
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
Don't punish yourself too much tomogui. We tend to say quite often this is expensive, this is cheap, this is ridiculously expensive, this is given away free!! But in reality in our hobby things just have a price, and you can afford it or not, or you want to pay for it or not. I mean, many people would say Mantic is cheap, well, for me is the most expensive piece of crap. No offense. I'm exagerating. But what I mean is that sometimes the value of the figures is not just how much lead (or resin/plastic) I get per every euro spent but, does it worth every euro spent in what I purchase?

For instance. Empire of the dead. People at Westwind have many great concepts and ideas. But we must admit that their figures aren't the best in the market. Kind of 6 out of 10. And comparing to other companies, the cost of every figure is quite high. But I'm too in to victorian stuff so I got in straight away without thinking anything else. So in that case the minis being expensive or cheap was a matter subjectively decieved by my mind.  ;D ;D ;D

In this same case, Hawk miniatures, I found the models pretty good. Also when I saw an interview of the creator of this mindbursting idea I got even more anxious to get to put my hands in this products. His explanation of the game system was something totally new, with new flavour, backgraund and gaming experience. He gives you something noone else does. But if I have to expend, say 200 euros to have a one afternoon game, it just sets me back.

Obviously if I read the rulebook and find it really really really interesting and I keep desiring those incredible vehicles, maybe I would need to subject my hobby expenses to this only game.  o_o o_o
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:17:31 PM by Hoplon »

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »
I am pretty disappointed also because the prices are too high. I understand that they have invested alot of money in to the project, but it would have been smarter business wise to set the prices lower so the sales volumes would be greater. I think their vision was to cover their expenses pretty fast by setting the prices high. They also trusted that the hype was so high that people would just pay whatever price they set.

Personally I think that they did not do enough of market research, or they think that gamers are stupid. If the prices would be lower and the game would turn out to be really good, the sales would be steady, sales volumes higher and their expenses would be covered maybe even faster. Now they shot themselves to their own leg since they priced the products as high end stuff... Bad move

There is so much interest towards this game that many would have just bought starters out of pure curiosity. I just looked again the price of the smallest starter pack and every miniature or troop stand is 5 pounds (actually a little more) each.

That just is too much since I compare the price for other manufacturers stuff, and also for bigger scales like 15mm stuff. For me this was a must and now it's a pass. Well more money to use elsewhere.

Too bad

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:17:30 AM by Relic »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »
just when I think I am set for the hobby some one comes along and changes things lol.
I am all about the scourge and PHR, I hope they come out with some more infantry options oh and maybe a centor like race of aliens :P

Also do they have a forum or any thing set up? I mean if the dudes been making this stuff for 2 years i am sure he has been bouncing the ideas off of some peoples heads. I want to see what other folks do and there thoughts on it.

As for the price tag, I am thinking I will snag the rules and then see were I go from there.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:29:46 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:27 AM »
I thought that the walkers were actually a good price - comparing quality and size to other examples
I looked at some examples from PHR and they don't seem to be extraordinarily expensive when thinking they are about the height of a 28mm miniature and on the bulky side compared to the reqular infantry miniature. They might be rougly equivalent to an Infinity REM in mass and those are I think a little more expensive yet.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »
I am pretty disappointed also because the prices are too high. I understand that they have invested alot of money in to the project, but it would have been smarter business wise to set the prices lower so the sales volumes would be greater. I think their vision was to cover their expenses pretty fast by setting the prices high. They also trusted that the hype was so high that people would just pay whatever price they set.

Personally I think that they did not do enough of market research, or they think that gamers are stupid. If the prices would be lower and the game would turn out to be really good, the sales would be steady, sales volumes higher and their expenses would be covered maybe even faster. Now they shot themselves to their own leg since they priced the products as high end stuff... Bad move

There is so much interest towards this game that many would have just bought starters out of pure curiosity. I just looked again the price of the smallest starter pack and every miniature or troop stand is 5 pounds (actually a little more) each.

That just is too much since I compare the price for other manufacturers stuff, and also for bigger scales like 15mm stuff. For me this was a must and now it's a pass. Well more money to use elsewhere.

Too bad

My thoughts exactly. I imagine they have priced many people out of the game in one foul swoop. Bad move on their part. Not that I think anyone who IS buying it are suckers. No doubt they are going to love it and I probably would too, I just can't spend that much on such tiny weeny figures, no matter how beautiful.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 12:25:09 AM »
they are about the height of a 28mm miniature

Ahhhh!!!

Didn't realize they were that big. Perhaps they need to be putting out some photos with minis folks will recognize so we can get a better understanding of the scale we are talking about here.

I was also under the impression that they were fairly small.