Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hawk wargames Dropzone commander  (Read 22260 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: Hawk wargames Dropzone commander
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2012, 07:07:14 AM »
All this talk of what other games you could use them for!!...they are meant for this game so why should Dave think of making it in a scale so they can be proxies?!
And yet, he did :)

Many if not most of the vehicles would very well work for a 15mm game at the very least. They don't have very obvious cockpits for example so you can't fault them for the pilot not fitting in.

In my book, ubiquitousness is a big plus.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »
if the pictures with the coins are accurate, then these will be MUCH smaller than the Gropos models.

Thanks, Keeper; in spite of the bad news, I won't kill the messenger. Wish my boss could learn that.  lol

Have quite a few of the old beasts not doing anything, and it'd be nice to get them some 'friends'...

Doug

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »
I know, I know, thread necro.

I picked up the rulebook at GenCon after a demo game. From what I can tell so far (having read through it once, and starting it a second time) it's a clean, well thought out set of rules. It's much more "modern" in feel than most games, especially in its emphasis on maneuver warfare. It rewards good risk assessment in terms of transporting units across the battlefield. I'm going to give it a shot, with my standard cardstock tiles, to get a feel for it.

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »
I also got the book recently, along with a small starter army. I was quite impressed with the rules; I think they're simple enough to work well at this scale, but offer some strategic complexity and some 'ain't it cool' stuff like aircraft strafing runs and interceptions and rules for infantry occupying structures.

It looks like the medium-sized starter deal they offer is going to be where the sweet spot of the game starts. The small starter is just too small for anything except intro games. Which makes sense, given the scale.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2012, 05:09:26 AM »
Shop of Magic like the rules mostly too, except for the "the book's uncommon size (A4)" really :P
http://www.shopofmagic.com/index.php/news/featured-product/1246-first-impressions-on-dropzone-commander

For those about to play, the errata/correction section has grown to be fairly big already so take care if going just by the book:
http://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/errata

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
Hawk Wargames have released the resin scenery for the game. Its a bit expensive for a 10 mm game!

http://www.hawkwargames.com/collections/complete-building-kits

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »
Hawk Wargames have released the resin scenery for the game. Its a bit expensive for a 10 mm game!

http://www.hawkwargames.com/collections/complete-building-kits

:o :o :o
Not 'arf!

Bloody hell!

And there was me thinking that GW were extracting the urine with their pricing policy...

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:53:31 AM by Mason »

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
Well, they certainly aren't selling 'em for peanuts, are they? Not that I know what you average 10-15mm building cost... But be that as it may, am not stunned by the aesthetics either so I definitely wouldn't invest in these if I were gaming DzC.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
Funny, cos I don't think the roof details are badly priced unless I've misread what you get for the money:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/collections/roof-and-detail-detail-accents

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
Just a heads up guys...while I know they may be a bit "budget" for some gamers tastes, I did send a couple emails back and forth with the guy who runs Gamecraft Miniatures.

Being on my Robotech kick, I asked if he could scale some of his stuff to 10mm, and he did so.  This stuff is comparatively dirt cheap.  It may not be precisely the right "look" but if you're looking for very reasonable stuff, worth a look.  I'm hoping to have a full city shortly after Christmas.

Stuff is available in Acrylic and MDF

http://store.gcmshop.com/c/157/10mm-city-buildings

Not bad...for around 5% of the cost of the official stuff...

PS: It's also possible that Hawk Wargames priced their stuff into the stratosphere because it's not available yet? You know you occasionally see stuff at $999.99 for a $20 item that's out of stock...?  In fact, those addition kits might be perfect to combine with the Gamecraft stuff...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:58:56 AM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
If it's "unavailable item pricing", shouldn't all kits be the same price then?

---

Funny, cos I don't think the roof details are badly priced unless I've misread what you get for the money
Well, the buildings aren't exceedingly small, for example "Art Deco Building" appears to be ca. 20x12x17 cm. At £90 a pop, it makes for about £0.02 per cm3.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
At £90 a pop, it makes for about £0.02 per cm3.

At £90 a pop, they are having a laugh!

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »
It doesn't seem to make sense to assume it's a decimal point error either tho, £9 would likely not be profitable saleprice and I'm sure nobody wants to think it's really meant to be £900 :P

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
Well, they certainly aren't selling 'em for peanuts, are they?

Not at all.

However... having said that, if you look at the parts section, what I pull from that is that the buildings are actually very intricate structures. In fact, reading about each individual building you will see that they contain 100+ pieces.

Very detailed = very expensive. It's the new paradigm for many miniature companies.

Personally, I think if I wanted to have a bunch of buildings, I would download their pdf card stock buildings and then order pieces to decorate them with and make them look as cool as I could.. based on my pocketbook.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
Very detailed = very expensive. It's the new paradigm for many miniature companies
I don't think that's new, actually. Except perhaps in the sense that these days a lot more companies seem to be able to actually make detailed and "fiddly" minis.