Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690841
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Middle-Earth Campaign: Ithilien 2901  (Read 59345 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Middle-Earth Campaign: Ithilien 2901
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »
Glad to see this back up and running. Hope Gondor can find somewhere to hold the line!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
I love the troop movements in the pictures. Are you a fast photographer, or do you use a timeout to take photos between turns? With four of us bouncing around our model table, I often find my tripod in jeopardy.

Jev

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »
Well, since we were only two guys playing and hadn't seen each other in a while we did take a little time out in between turns. And we both liked the idea of taking some photos. These are actually only the ones to make it in the end. I actually took over 40 pics but sorted most of them out as either redundant or being either too dark or too bright. When I play solo games I take a lot more time for the pictures, experimenting a little with foreground, background, moving miniatures around a little more to compose a better looking picture.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #258 on: April 15, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »
Just a few more pics. Mind you I didn't paint these but got them from a bring and buy at Bjoern's wonderful Do or Dice convention last weekend. I will touch them up here and there but basically work with the way they've been painted. I'll try to get the bases closer to the way I do them.

These models were painted for the War of the Rings battle system as the bigger multibases were included in the deal. And for that system the painting quality is actually very good. As I said, I'll touch them up a bit to make them fit better in my collection. This whole batch cost me 50 Euros which is very cheap compared to what I would have to pay if I bought them new.

This troll has been converted I believe. As far as I remember he (or it) originally carries a huge warhammer.

This next batch of 16 Uruk Hai has also been workd on. All uruks have been given long chainmail coats. While the sculpting is a little rough I won't complain - especialy if I think about my own abilities with green stuff. Furthermore, lots of weapons have been changed into cleavers and the like. All models have been given a shield and both the banner carrier and the drummer have been converted. Overall a good job.

The last one a group of 10 warg riders. All down to earth, nothing big changed. So now Bjoern and me can really call in the cavalry if needs be.

I will work on them a little and they'll be a nice addition for Mordor's host. Looking forward to some action.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
What a result!
 :D

Sounds like a great deal for some perfectly acceptable, pretty good, paintjobs on some nice subtle conversions.
Well done!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #260 on: April 16, 2013, 12:32:42 AM »
nice result- I like that mossy boulder the troll is picking up. All in all a good buy.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »
Yeah those Mordor uruks are simply great models! Lucky you!

I'm currently very unhappy about wargs after having gotten a thorough beating by the Rohan with my warg force. (OK it doesn't help not bringing named characters.. but still!)  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
A few new pics. I've been rather busy with work related things and didn't get too much done. However, the following two miniatures are a by-product of my weekly painting sessions with Mr. Vikotnik.

You might remember the Corsairs of Umbar from way back when I started this thread. So now finally I got the models for the captain and the first mate of the ship ready for action.

I'm not alltogether happy with them for two reasons: Somehow the red of the captain's coat is too red. I should have gone for a more burgundese kind of color. And the second is my pet peeve: eyes.

Painting requires practice and if you don't paint for a long period of time skills become rusty. And especially the eyes on the captain are really terrible. I'm thinking about repainting them but I think I'll need some support in the way of a lense. I'm in that age where the eyes are just not what they used to be. Ah well, any way, enough whining.

Finally I have two officers for the bunch of raiders. There is a after all the "Ashandar is trying to steal a ship" sceanrio to come. At the moment I'm constructing a little building I wanted to use for the scenario. No pics yet of it. I'll post them once I'm finished.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #263 on: May 01, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
Awh man this is just brilliant!

I really hope to see it all IRL at some point.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »
Great stuff  8)

Even thogh you didn't paint them they'd be a welcome addition to any LotR army.

Certainly agree on that boulder  :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »
Nice painting Lars  :)

Isn't that figure on the right a model of the cameo character played by Peter Jackson himself aboard the Corsair ship?

If so, I wouldn't trust Thorbjorn with that figure, knowing what he thinks of PJ  ;)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #266 on: May 01, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »

If so, I wouldn't trust Thorbjorn with that figure, knowing what he thinks of PJ  ;)

lol

Great stuff, as the others have a said 50 Euros looks like a bargain for that collection of figures. :)

I am really enjoying seeing this project keep up its momentum, its making me think about doing something similar (Must be strong...)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #267 on: May 01, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
Nice painting Lars  :)

Isn't that figure on the right a model of the cameo character played by Peter Jackson himself aboard the Corsair ship?

I'd say he is. Nice to have a more "paunchy" model once in a while. And it's really well done, looking a lot like Mr. Jackson.

Thanks guys for the nice feedback. I'll try to keep this thing rolling as long as possible. So far there are still ideas of things to come in my head...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #268 on: May 01, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »
Nice work, Mr Viking, sir.
They should fit in well with the rest of the crew.
Even if you think the red is a little bright, the Cap'n get first dibs on the good stuff does he not?
 :-* :-*

I am really enjoying seeing this project keep up its momentum, its making me think about doing something similar (Must be strong...)

Same here.
Between the Crazy Viking and the Doomhippie I have gone and gotten myself some Dark Ages numpties to convert into Gondorians..... :o

Strong?
Dont be daft!
Just cave in like the rest of us.
 ;)

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »
The eyes on the captain and first mate look fine to me! Nice work, Doomhippie :)
The Princess Diaries (painting blog): http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/
Battle of Frogonia blog: http://battle-of-frogonia.blogspot.com.au/
Z Scale Steam Ventures (model railway blog): http://steam-ventures.blogspot.com.au/